Symphonic Instrument by March 20th?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Helen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Symphonic Instrument by March 20th?

Post by Helen »

So I've been looking at ditching my Gigastudio (I've pulled my hair out with PC's long enough.) and having been a longtime DP user I've been eyeing the new Symphonic Instrument.

So I click on over to Sweetwater just to see if they have info, and it looks like you can order it. (http://tinyurl.com/65qc2) What's more, samash.com says it should begin shipping by March 20th. (http://tinyurl.com/6d32r)

Now I just want to see what the recommended system is, and how hard it might be to set up a couple of Mac Minis with this...

Sorry if this was OT, but there's not a Symphonic Instrument forum yet, and this seemed like the closest one.
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
jr213

Re: Symphonic Instrument by March 20th?

Post by jr213 »

Are they really calling it that?
DP6.02, OSX.5.latest on Quad 2.66GHz MacPro w/ 3GB RAM, MOTU 828mkII, UAD-2 Duo, Altiverb, PSP, TriTone, Omnisphere, Komplete 5
Helen

Post by Helen »

Originally posted by jr213:
Are they really calling it that?
I like the name. It's not flashy, but it's really clear as to what exactly it is you're buying. It also tells me that it's targeted directly at me and other folks who write orchestral music, so it's more likely to have features that I can use.

YMMV.

-Helen
advid
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by advid »

I think you can wait for Mch 5 Version 2, then to sellect the best one to buy. I mean, Vienna, EWQL...are still the best and Garritan Personal Orchestra along with some smaller ones come after that. The main problem now is not many librarians were made for Mach 5. So why not wait to see if we can finally get everything work more cost / revenue way ?
Mwailey

Post by Mwailey »

I don't understand the last post. I don't think that Symphonic Instrument is trying to compete with EWQLSO Platinum, VSL or Sonic Implants professional libraries.

But I do think that this Symphonic Instrument sounds like the best of the smaller libraries in the 250-300 range. Of course, we'll have to hear the demos first - but the size alone right now is a big advantage. GPO is 2GB, Silver is 3GB, Symphonic Instrument is 8GB! I know the size of the library isn't everything - but if I hadn't already bought a smaller library, and had a choice between these three (assuming the Symphonic Instrument demos were decent), I'd choose SI. It even comes with choir samples! (Though, admittedly, they may not be any good).

Not to mention, you know that you won't have any trouble with it in DP.
westla

Post by westla »

I heard the demos at NAMM last month. It was OK, pretty good, but not anywhere up to the standards of EWQL Gold/Plat. or VSL. Now maybe they aren't trying to compete on a level with the other professional orchestral libraries.
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Helen,

Mach 5 v2 is suppose to address some of the Giga keymapping etc. issue's. If that's true, Mach 5 v2 might fit the bill for you.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Helen

Post by Helen »

Hey Kwiz, thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for Mach5 v2.

Seems to me that even thought the nature of technology is constant evolution, we're at a point where there's a larger than normal set of uncertainties, particularly when it comes to softsamplers. I've added some RAM, paid a minimum to upgrade my old copy of Halion, and am gonna sit back and watch for the next six months or so to see what happens in the world of software samplers. It's gonna be an interesting year.

And I'll try to keep learning, of course.

I managed to kick start my aging Giga 2.5. The investment required for GS3 (which would mean at least a new processor, in addition to the upgrade fee.) is still causing me to hesitate. I'd really, really, like to get away from the world of PC's, and I think the advances in technology have *almost* made the advantages of Giga negligible. I'd prefer Mach 5, or likely Kontakt, running on a MacMini or two, to eventually replace my Giga.

So again, it's back to hiding and watching, now that I have a workable system that can produce music on time for clients. I do appreciate everyone's opinions, though. It's a great way to learn the pros and cons of our various options.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

"""samash.com says it should begin shipping by March 20th."""

they (Sam Ash) have bumped it up to April 1 shipping. Hope that's not an "April 1" joke!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Originally posted by Bill Myers:
they (Sam Ash) have bumped it up to April 1 shipping. Hope that's not an "April 1" joke!
www.zzounds.com says "expected 4/17/05"

I'm getting anxious for this one. . . .
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

and this month's MIX magazine has a fullpage MOTU ad for Symphonic Instruments on the back cover. no dates indicated, but those are expensive column inches, so hopefully they're close-to/ready-to ship?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
maintiger

Post by maintiger »

I understand that the symphonic instrumnets samples will also work inside Mach five... too bad that we wil have to shell out the money for the instrument when all we will need are the samples if we have M5- also, will we be able to use the convolution reverb in M5 or DP? That would surely be nice :cool:
Xavier Calvera
DP 6 dual G5 2.0- 828mkii-
apogee rosetta - Mach Five, Atmosphere, Stylus, Garritan, Soundtrack,
more soft synths...
check out my latest DP project at www.theorishasarecoming.com more on www.lordtiger.com
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Originally posted by maintiger:
too bad that we wil have to shell out the money for the instrument when all we will need are the samples if we have M5- also
At 279.00 street it is still pretty cheap for an 8GB Orchestral Library, IMHO
Bretlipowmixes

Post by Bretlipowmixes »

I've been hearing a lot of buzz about the Symphonic Instrument, but has anyone actually heard how it sounds? I've been looking for mp3's or a demo out there, but so far have found zilch. I was surprised considering all the marketing they've done.

I've been looking for an orchestral plug-in, but haven't been able to settle on one I like for the price... if the Symphonic Instrument sounds good, I think we may have a winner.

If anyone knows where to listen to this thing, let me know. Thanks.

-Bret
Listen and be free

G5 Dual 2.5 GHZ
2GB RAM
MOTU 896HD
Logic 7/Reason 2.5