machfive now or later

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Circuitt
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

machfive now or later

Post by Circuitt »

ok, i been using hardware samplers for a long time now,
i played around a little bit with softsynth preset sounds etc..
and i hear machfive is good, since i am a dp4.5 user
i figure it would be a good combo.
but... i also hear good things about Kontakt "cheaper",
i don't want a million programs, i am going for a good solid
softsynth, and perhaps maybe something like battery2 for drums and thats it, i got enough crap to deal with, i can't master every program on the planet. anyways...
i found this person who will sell me m5 for like 200 bucks
un-reg version, so i can put it in my name, but..
i also understand m5 v.2 is comming out. so il end up spending another 150.00 or so, is it worth it? is m5 really that good and worth spending almost 400 dollars on? i almost rather
get an ASR 10 and play with that, cause i know it works...
so , please any input would be helpful,
thanks
jklimeck

Re: machfive now or later

Post by jklimeck »

Mach Five is definitely the way to go, but I (as we all are, are anxiously awaiting) Version 2.

And we don't know what the upgrade price is going to be, probably not much, we are thinking.

Kontakt, (most NI stuff) never liked the very confusing (German engineering ) looking GUI. That's just me.

I am uisng Mach Five as main software sampler and soon to using Stylus RMX for main Drums.
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Circuitt, are you looking for a good soft-synth or a good sampler (I'm a little confused reading your post)?

Mach Five is a sampler. As such, of course, it's output is only as good as the samples you have.

If you have a library of samples or intend to build one, M5 is a good way to go. I second macguitarman's sentiments.

A few caveats: Some people aren't so keen on its interface, but I find it straight-forward and user-friendly, particularly the effects section. And sophisticated, key-switch samples like those from the Vienna Orchestral Library don't import with all capabilities intact, but you can still use their sounds.

To note : If you buy M5 1 now, MOTU promises a free upgrade to M5 2 when it ships. Check their site: MOTU .

So, the "buy version 1 or wait until 2 question" is kind of moot. Jump in whenever you're ready.
Circuitt

Post by Circuitt »

well, i look at mach5, more as synth, with a lot of sounds i can use with it, samples libr. "giga" etc.. it's endless,i like having a sea of sounds to pick from, and i also like sampling and creating my own sounds, so i guess this would be what i am looking for, i was just wondering is machfive should be my choice, i am sure it will be always getting better
like dp4, and it's ok... right now.
it's just i found a copy of m5 for 200.00 unreg.
so i can put it in my name.. anyone got an idea how much an upgrade would cost?
and is 200 bucks a good price...
rikp

Post by rikp »

I also love the Mach 5 (could do w/o the USB dongle) the going price is around 370 so 200 is a great deal!

Peace

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.