Clicking noise problem

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Clicking noise problem

Post by billf »

I'm using the latest version of MachFive in DP 4.52 and in Logic Express 7.1. In Logic, MachFive works perfectly. However in DP when using the same sounds, I'm getting a cyclical clicking sound which is very noticable on things like strings and horns. The problem appears even on a brand new song with nothing recorded, so it isn't a CPU issue.

I'm at a loss as to what could be the cause. I would think if it were a disk problem, the issue would appear in Logic. Since everything is internal, it can't be a sample rate problem (or could it?).

Anyway, anyone have any ideas?

I'm on a 2.7 Dual G5, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.4.1

TIA,
Bill
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Clicking noise problem

Post by azusa749a »

First I thought may be the latency setting, but you have the 2.7-G5 so that wouldn't be the case.
Are you sure the cyclical clicking sound you hear is not a metronome?
Try clicking on the Metronome icon to turn it on or off.
iMAS

Post by iMAS »

What sample cd's are the strings and horns from ? Because I've noticed bad looping points on some samples (which will cause clipping) when importing Roland string library using UVI extract. Some of the strings sounds have clipping/popping because of that...so whatever samples you're using, check the looping point to see if that's the culprit.
gramjess

Post by gramjess »

Could be the driver for your MIDI interface causing a problem in DP not compatible with Tiger and Motu. Try switching your MIDI interface off on playback. We had a bad experience of a bad driver for a unitor 8 which showed the imput red flashing on input port 1 caused clicking
Best
Gramjess
richard

Post by richard »

I've noticed some samples after being converted, have problems in stream mode. After sustaining a sound for a more than a few seconds, there's this odd clicking time stretching type sound(s). It goes away when I turn off streaming for that sample
Richard Temple
G5 2x2 4.5Gb, MacBook, 828mkII, Tascam FW 1804, DP, Logic, Giga, MachV, Reason, Live, EW Gold, Stormdrums, Atmosphere....
www.mutexmusic.com
qo

Post by qo »

Cyclical clicking/crackling. Yep, that describes what I hear as well. But, it happens even with e.g. external synths playing through DP. It seems to happen more on sustained sounds, e.g. string/organ, but once it starts, it affects all sounds.

TimeMist, in order to understand if we have the same problem, could you try something?

When the crackling starts, go into DP's hardware setup and change the buffer size to something other than what it's currently set to. See if the cracking goes away for a bit. This seems to help me for about a minute and then the cracking returns. Once it returns, go back into Hardware setup and change the buffer back to the original setting. Crackling should, again, go away for a minute.

TimeMist, one more question. Are you using a CoreAudio DA converter i.e. one that doesn't require a MOTU driver, like an Apogee? Just curious. I've noticed that the cracking happens on DA, not AD (which is a good thing since anything recorded is crackle-free).

G5 dual 2.7, 6.5GB RAM
DP 4.6
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by qo:
Cyclical clicking/crackling. Yep, that describes what I hear as well. But, it happens even with e.g. external synths playing through DP. It seems to happen more on sustained sounds, e.g. string/organ, but once it starts, it affects all sounds.

TimeMist, in order to understand if we have the same problem, could you try something?

When the crackling starts, go into DP's hardware setup and change the buffer size to something other than what it's currently set to. See if the cracking goes away for a bit. This seems to help me for about a minute and then the cracking returns. Once it returns, go back into Hardware setup and change the buffer back to the original setting. Crackling should, again, go away for a minute.

TimeMist, one more question. Are you using a CoreAudio DA converter i.e. one that doesn't require a MOTU driver, like an Apogee? Just curious. I've noticed that the cracking happens on DA, not AD (which is a good thing since anything recorded is crackle-free).

G5 dual 2.7, 6.5GB RAM
DP 4.6
I will give these a try. To be clear though, the cyclical clicking occurs only with MachFive in DP. MachFive in Logic works fine. Same samples, same softsampler, different results. So this leads me to believe there is something in DP that is askew.

Also, the clicking occurs when just playing a keyboard, a couple of notes, without running the sequence. So I don't think it is the metronome.

Lastly, I'm only using MOTU interfaces (2408 mkII/PcI 424 and 828mkII) and their associated drivers, and everything is up to date.

<small>[ July 16, 2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: TimeMist ]</small>
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by iMAS:
What sample cd's are the strings and horns from ? Because I've noticed bad looping points on some samples (which will cause clipping) when importing Roland string library using UVI extract. Some of the strings sounds have clipping/popping because of that...so whatever samples you're using, check the looping point to see if that's the culprit.
Normally I would look at that, but in this case the same samples play perfectly normal in MachFive when I use Logic as the host. The click problem only occurs with M5 in DP.
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by gramjess:
Could be the driver for your MIDI interface causing a problem in DP not compatible with Tiger and Motu. Try switching your MIDI interface off on playback. We had a bad experience of a bad driver for a unitor 8 which showed the imput red flashing on input port 1 caused clicking
Best
Gramjess
Hmmm, dunno. I'm using a MTPAV, but I'll give this technique a try.
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by Richard Temple:
I've noticed some samples after being converted, have problems in stream mode. After sustaining a sound for a more than a few seconds, there's this odd clicking time stretching type sound(s). It goes away when I turn off streaming for that sample
Richard - is the clicking cyclical or arrhythmic?
richard

Post by richard »

Pretty much arrhythmic. But only after sustaining non Mach5 converted samples. (usually at least 5 seconds if not closer to 10.
Originally posted by TimeMist:
Originally posted by Richard Temple:
Richard - is the clicking cyclical or arrhythmic?
Richard Temple
G5 2x2 4.5Gb, MacBook, 828mkII, Tascam FW 1804, DP, Logic, Giga, MachV, Reason, Live, EW Gold, Stormdrums, Atmosphere....
www.mutexmusic.com