Do you want MOTU to develop notation apps? StaffPad-iPadPro

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Do you want MOTU to develop notation apps? StaffPad-iPad

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Most of what I do in life I do by hand. Wait, what?!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dcoscina

Re: Do you want MOTU to develop notation apps? StaffPad-iPad

Post by dcoscina »

Steve Steele wrote:Very serious question. How do you feel about MOTU developing the next StaffPad for the iPad Pro?

I'm well aware that iOS is not OS X or Windows, and an A9 (or A10) is not an i5, but good developers find a way. Apple will need to improve iOS, so let's hope they do.

Looking at StaffPad on a well equipped Surface has me feeling like the technology/creative wall may be coming down.

I need a pen/paper, pen/tablet based system that will read my bad handwriting, convert it into vector based music notation on the spot and play my composition back using sophisticated VIs.

As a composer this has been my dream. After all these years I still feel anxiety when I switch from guitar or piano to a DAW. No matter how well my rig and template are tweaked, until I get the same feeling I get when playing a real instrument (for either performing or composing), I will forever feel held back.

Would you like to see MOTU enter into the iPad Pro stylus based music notation sweepstakes? I sure the hell would. MOTU does things right most of the time (look for an upcoming post where I compare working in DP, Cubase and Logic for a month each), and I'd like to see what they can do with this up and coming creative boon.

A MOTU OS X, Windows, iOS notation app can only benefit DP. Quickscribe isn't as bad as I thought after trying some of the competition's score editors. I feel strongly if DP were to have a nearly full featured, or linked to a full featured notation editor, it would only improve DP's already outstanding workflow.

I'm a little afraid that Steinberg is going to jump on a tablet based notation app quickly. And I'd hate to see MOTU lose any more marketshare.

So, how do you feel about MOTU developing the next StaffPad for the iPad Pro? Who do you trust to do this right? Finale? Sibelius? Steinberg? StaffPad for iOS (not gonna happen). MOTU?

Let me hear from you!

Steve
Hey Steve

I know you posted this when Staffpad first debuted but since February of this year it has undergone dramatic changes, the first being that it’s now compatible with iPads and iOS. Second, it has third party library options from renowned companies like Spitfire Audio, Orchestral Tools and CineSamples. I’ve been using it nonstop since I upgraded to an iPad Pro and it’s a game changer. I’ve written three concert works on it and the playback is exceptional. It even has a bounce stem option if you wish to mix and master further.

You should definitely check it out.
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
morrye

Re: Do you want MOTU to develop notation apps? StaffPad-iPadPro

Post by morrye »

I've been with MOTU since the beginning with Performer 1 ('86??) MOTU had 2 notation programs back in the day. Composer was the first. It came out about the same time as Performer 1. Mosaic followed. I had them both. At the time I thought both were superior to Finale. They were quick and clean and very easy to use. While they might not have had quite the "elegance" of a professionally published score, they provided a very nice printed version for the late '80s. I wrote my "First Suite for Band" on Mosaic, and everyone oohd and aahd when they saw my score and parts. I was very unhappy when MOTU abanded them.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I guess the other big question is whether MOTU could bring something new/better to the table with Finale, Sibelius sort of languishing (?), Dorico finding its voice, and MuseScore kind of becoming a commercial so-and-so.

I actually think MOTU could make a more friendly/fun/flexible notation program. But whether or not they could sell enough to warrant the development is probably the main question.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
lampfilmusic

Post by lampfilmusic »

If ONLY MOTU would allow DP's notation to insert phrase marks, then that part of the program would turn from a walk to a run.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP notation supposedly improved in 11 — haven't checked it out and am not interested. Otherwise, it does export MusicXML 3.0 which does let you open in notation apps.

M-XML 3.1 was a major improvement released five years ago so I expect it's a bit premature to expect MOTU to update, let alone incorporate version 4, released with Finale 27. Since Sibelius, Dorico and MuseScore have yet to update to 3.1 or 4 either… MakeMusic did just release a new version of Dolet for Sibelius that adds MusicXML 4.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro