The Raven MTi2 Thread

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Raven MTi2 Thread

Post by kwiz »

waxman wrote:I received the replacement about 1:30 Friday. It took about 5 hours to figure out a new ergonomic set up. Yeah whatever we are a little slow in So Cal...

I was amazed to get everything so close. It feels good yet not cramped. The whole set up is lower in height which opens up the stereo field. It's like a traditional console set up except it's all right in front of me on the Raven. The 30" Apple Cinema Display sits between the speakers eye level. Speakers are 40" apart and I am sitting about 43" back. I will probably just keep the UAD Mixer page on it. Especially when tracking drums and multiple instruments since it's the visual input stage of the entire studio. I was able to keep the Maschine Studio next to the Raven. I needed to move the NI S61 key controller to the left which will be a bit of a challenge.

Take away is on the Raven 27 no worry about having to reach. It's almost like having it half way in your lap. Different but cool. Ergonomically mo betta...
Sounds cool!! I'm hoping to have mine by the first week of December, but I'll be using mine a bit differently. I currently have a 3 monitor setup, (2) 30" ACD's and (1) 24" ACD. The 24" is on top of a rack/producers desk that has a NI S61 key controller and a Machine Studio. I'm going to replace the 24" with the MTi2. I just hope my current video card doesn't choke. The current monitor setup I have has my video card operating at its limit.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
waxman

Post by waxman »

kwiz wrote:
Sounds cool!! I'm hoping to have mine by the first week of December, but I'll be using mine a bit differently. I currently have a 3 monitor setup, (2) 30" ACD's and (1) 24" ACD. The 24" is on top of a rack/producers desk that has a NI S61 key controller and a Machine Studio. I'm going to replace the 24" with the MTi2. I just hope my current video card doesn't choke. The current monitor setup I have has my video card operating at its limit.
Yeah I tried to get another Monitor in front of the S61 and the Maschine Studio. I could not figure it out. Hopefully I can get used to it. I have never had a keyboard on my left.

One pic is worth a thousand words... I spent yesterday and today on the MTi2. I know about 15% of it. lol... It's not hard but it is a complete paradigm shift. When I get lost it's back to the mouse. That may be a habit that's hard to break. It's already a gazzilion time better then the Mackie MCU Pro and 2XT's.

Last edited by waxman on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

kwiz wrote:The 24" is on top of a rack/producers desk that has a NI S61 key controller and a Machine Studio. I'm going to replace the 24" with the MTi2. I just hope my current video card doesn't choke. The current monitor setup I have has my video card operating at its limit.
I'm looking at your Avatar trying to figure it out... Can you post a pic when you get it going? Are you using it to control DP? Do you know it is a separate license for each DAW. Licenses are $99 bucks...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

mattdodge wrote:Hey Guys,

My name is Matt Dodge, Software Director for Slate Media Technology & the RAVEN Multi-Touch Consoles. I wanted to formally introduce myself and let you guys know that my colleagues and I will be keeping an eye out here with the intention of providing RAVEN DP users with support, as well as answer any questions some of you might have. Furthermore, RAVEN DP is a new release and growing product, I’d love to hear your feedback and ideas for future updates as we're always working to improve for our customers.

Thank you,

md
--
Matt Dodge
Software Director,
Slate Media Technology // Slate Digital LLC
slatemt.com // slatedigital.com
Notice in the pic the pan knob sometimes does not come up in the far left channel. It may just be a loose nut between the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Am I doing something wrong? It shows up on the Raven mixer when I go to the DP mixer and touch the pan...

Also Matt I purchased VP pro last year. I am trying to figure a way to get a iPad monitor in front of my NI Keyboard and NI Maschine... I don't imagine I can have 2 VP apps going. Any suggestions like maybe a different remote app?
waxman
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Waxman, I can confirm the missing pan knob is a bug. Activate the same knob in the DP mixer and it appears in the Raven.

BTW, what window do you have open at the top of the Raven mixer? I don't have that... It looks like the DP control panel. Will it float above the mixer? That would sure be sweet if it did.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:Waxman, I can confirm the missing pan knob is a bug. Activate the same knob in the DP mixer and it appears in the Raven.

BTW, what window do you have open at the top of the Raven mixer? I don't have that... It looks like the DP control panel. Will it float above the mixer? That would sure be sweet if it did.
Yeah DP control. Undock it in preferences and choose float. What were you doing to know the bar number without it? Also I have used the number pad and decimal point bar# to navigate. I thought I would try the number pad while using the counter up top... Nope just jumps to the Markers list. Maybe Shooshie will have a work around.
waxman
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't need to do a lot of navigating while mixing, so it hadn't yet been a problem. Seeing it here, it looks like a good idea.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

I mix in sections. Love markers. I'm doing multi screens on top. MBridge, UAD mixer and DP mixer
waxman
mattdodge

Post by mattdodge »

Hey Guys,

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend (if you celebrate that kind of thing) and was pleased to read your positive comments. I have a few responses to some of the questions and comments posed below:
waxman wrote:Matt thanks so much for expediting an MTi2 replacement. Your company has THE BEST support I have experienced in 30 years in the business. I am SO STOKED to be able to get the studio changed over from the MCU pro and XTs I was using.
You're welcome! Happy to help!
Gravity Jim wrote:I've got my starter toolbars all mapped out and am doing some real work. This is the greatest.
Always love hearing that!
Moonlightmusic wrote: ...1. Slate tech support was great. Very patient and kind. Took forever to reach them by phone- 3 hours of calling. I'm not much for emailing and hoping for a response but maybe next time. They were great though.

2. I loved the parts of the Raven I got to experience when my laptop was able to catch up. The faders were super responsive and felt very natural. I think I'm going to freaking love it. It was very cool and intuitive to touch the plugins.
I'll update once I've had a few days on it next week.
Sorry about the phone support issue. I personally recommend opening a ticket using our online support help desk system for the quickest response at: http://www.slatesupport.com Phone support is directed exclusively to our Los Angeles office and our support ticket system reaches our entire support team nationwide.
delcosmos wrote:So far I'm loving my Raven MTI2 with DP.
I'm using it with Mountain Lion and DP8.07.
The only problem I'm having is when I hard pan a track on the Raven Mixer, for some reason that hard pan doesn't shows on my DP mixer, it gets only half panned.
Gravity Jim wrote:I've noticed that panning thing, too. The workaround seems to be cranking the pan knob in the DP mixer all the way to one side. After that, it seems to stay in synch with the Raven mixer.

You can see there is a point during launch that Raven synchs itself to DP's mixer, but maybe that needs a tweak. And if you're starting with a new project, with all pan knobs straight up to begin with, the Raven mixer seems to work fine.
Jim offers a nice workaround for the moment. We're looking into this for a future maintenance update.
waxman wrote:I received the replacement about 1:30 Friday. Take away is on the Raven 27 no worry about having to reach. It's almost like having it half way in your lap. Different but cool. Ergonomically mo betta...
waxman wrote:One pic is worth a thousand words... I spent yesterday and today on the MTi2. I know about 15% of it. lol... It's not hard but it is a complete paradigm shift. When I get lost it's back to the mouse. That may be a habit that's hard to break. It's already a gazzilion time better then the Mackie MCU Pro and 2XT's.
Awesome!
kwiz wrote:Sounds cool!! I'm hoping to have mine by the first week of December, but I'll be using mine a bit differently. I currently have a 3 monitor setup, (2) 30" ACD's and (1) 24" ACD. The 24" is on top of a rack/producers desk that has a NI S61 key controller and a Machine Studio. I'm going to replace the 24" with the MTi2. I just hope my current video card doesn't choke. The current monitor setup I have has my video card operating at its limit.
Depending on your specific computer, you may need to invest in a external video card hub of some kind. As an example, if using the new Mac Pro they have a bus limitation when running more than two HD displays at 1920X1080 quality, which the RAVEN does require. See this article for details.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202801

In this example, I'd recommend purchasing a Thunderbolt Hub, like the one at the link here:

http://amzn.to/1Ik4Ilr
waxman wrote:Notice in the pic the pan knob sometimes does not come up in the far left channel. It may just be a loose nut between the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Am I doing something wrong? It shows up on the Raven mixer when I go to the DP mixer and touch the pan...

Also Matt I purchased VP pro last year. I am trying to figure a way to get a iPad monitor in front of my NI Keyboard and NI Maschine... I don't imagine I can have 2 VP apps going. Any suggestions like maybe a different remote app?
We've recognized the first track occasional missing pan knob issue and will be addressing it in our next maintenance update. You may be able to use the workaround in the meantime of simply banking left and right. This can occasionally refresh this issue when it appears. Again, we're on this one. Thank you for your report. I recommend opening a support ticket to report things like this in the future at, http://www.slatesupport.com

To speak on your VP question, I'm assuming you're referring to the V-Control Pro iPad Remote app. The newest app version of V-Control Pro is supported with the RAVEN V-Control desktop application. If you're experiencing any issues getting it connected simultaneously - I recommend contacting their support at: https://neyrinck.com/products/v-control ... upport/#pm

Thanks guys! Great hearing from you and hearing the great responses so far!

Thank you,

md
--
Matt Dodge
Software Director,
Slate Media Technology // Slate Digital LLC
slatemt.com // slatedigital.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

mattdodge wrote:
To speak on your VP question, I'm assuming you're referring to the V-Control Pro iPad Remote app. The newest app version of V-Control Pro is supported with the RAVEN V-Control desktop application. If you're experiencing any issues getting it connected simultaneously - I recommend contacting their support at: https://neyrinck.com/products/v-control ... upport/#pm
Yes I was speaking about the iPad V-Control Pro. So I will try to get it going... I hesitated because the set up instructions said make sure to delete previous V-pro control and NIFI.

First I'm going to give it a shot getting used to the producer keyboards and controllers to the left... Thanks Matt for the great support!
waxman
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

waxman wrote:
kwiz wrote:The 24" is on top of a rack/producers desk that has a NI S61 key controller and a Machine Studio. I'm going to replace the 24" with the MTi2. I just hope my current video card doesn't choke. The current monitor setup I have has my video card operating at its limit.
I'm looking at your Avatar trying to figure it out... Can you post a pic when you get it going? Are you using it to control DP? Do you know it is a separate license for each DAW. Licenses are $99 bucks...
Here's a pic that I took recently. The Avatar pic is a little old.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

A couple questions for owners if you guys don't mind. :)

Does the mixer also work with V-Racks? My biggest complaint with Mackie Control is that it cannot control faders in a V-Rack.

How does it work with third party plug ins? (not just slate, NI, U-He, UVI, PSP, FabFilter etc.), can you just use them via touch like iPad synths? <-- I really hope so.

Going over this, I'm really glad I haven't bought into Push 2 for Ableton Live. It seems for an extra $99 I would get both Live and DP full support, whereas with Push 2 it's third party support is all crippled compared to Push 1. Also good to know I'm not the only fan of Maschine Studio here. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Michael Canavan wrote:A couple questions for owners if you guys don't mind. :)

Does the mixer also work with V-Racks? My biggest complaint with Mackie Control is that it cannot control faders in a V-Rack.

How does it work with third party plug ins? (not just slate, NI, U-He, UVI, PSP, FabFilter etc.), can you just use them via touch like iPad synths? <-- I really hope so. Also good to know I'm not the only fan of Maschine Studio here. :headbang:
All my UAD, Sound Toys, Altiverb, Waves work great. I don't use V-Racks. Jim is a week or two ahead of me so he may have had time to test more...
waxman
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have not checked V-Racks, but I will. Should have time tomorrow... Would have done it when I saw this, but I've been dodging a Crohn's-related trip to the ER (much better ask write this).
Jim Bordner

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Thanks you guys! and thanks for doing so under bad circumstances Jim. :?

The other question would be about the Tracks (overview) window. Slate shows mostly the Sequence Editor, which is cool, but I work a lot in the Tracks window during composition. It would be nice to be able to use the Tracks window to cut, copy and paster full bridges, breaks etc. like I do normally in DP.

I'm getting this feeling I'm going to need to sell the used gear around here I've been meaning to, and just pick this up. The main complaint I have with software synths is editing with a mouse, and if I can get a workflow going in the Raven that I like that way, that alone would be worth the price of admission.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.