The Raven MTi2 Thread

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Raven MTi2 Thread

Post by waxman »

The Raven floats over DP. You can have any DP window you want. I sold a couple Mackie XT Pros. I'm big on selling the stuff I don't use or need.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

waxman wrote:The Raven floats over DP. You can have any DP window you want. I sold a couple Mackie XT Pros. I'm big on selling the stuff I don't use or need.
this brings up the other question, I think I know the answers to this though, the multitouch features work with the Raven Mixer mainly right? OSX doesn't have multitouch features, so unless Slate found a solution, their mixer GUI is there to address that among other things I'm guessing? Not a deal killer, mixing is the obvious place where multi touch is a bonus, just there aren't any in stores at the moment, sold out and waiting delivery etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That is true. Saw a YouTube user video on that and to move more than one fader at a time you must use the Raven mixer.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yes, you can run the DP mixer from the Raven screen, but it's monotouch.

You can manipulate softsynths on the Raven. I just had some fun with Arturia Analog Lab, moving the sliders and knobs with my fingers.

I created a one-instrument V-Rack in the piece I'm working on and made sure it was showing up in the DP mixer. It didn't show up in the Raven mixer. Perhaps this is something that could be addressed in a future version.

I have no idea what the INS button does. On my rig it doesn't appear to do anything, although I expected it would show the plug-ins on that channel. On one channel with no inserts, it did open an empty plug-in window (but not the Chooser). On channels with one or more plugs in place, it didn't do anything. On the Slate Forums back in May some guys were saying that button only worked in ProTools.... but that was back in May.

Waxman, on the Control Panel thing... I decided to leave the control panel where it is and just open a big Counter window on the display to my left.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Gerk

Post by Gerk »

Pulled the trigger on pre-ordering one of these today ... hopefully I get a nice Christmas present! Not sure how big of a backlog there is for orders at Sweetwater.
15" Macbook Pro Retina quad 2.5Ghz 16G/512G SSD (2015 model),
Raven MTi2, 4k Vizio TV, Pegasus TB2 RAID5 (6TB),
UAD TB Apollo Twin Duo, UAD TB Satellite Octo, Tascam DM-3200/IFFW-DMII
DP 9.0.2 (Pro Tools 12.4, Logic Pro X 10.2.2), OS X 10.10.5
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gravity Jim wrote: I created a one-instrument V-Rack in the piece I'm working on and made sure it was showing up in the DP mixer. It didn't show up in the Raven mixer. Perhaps this is something that could be addressed in a future version.
I think this is due to the way DP addresses V-Racks as separate than the open Chunk/Sequence, and no big deal as long as you can move the fader with your finger in DP's GUI. Mostly I use MIDI volume automation for variations in virtual instruments, but the initial volume sometimes needs to be tweaked in comparison to other tracks etc.

I'm really curious as to how Slate will support multi touch in future OS and Raven releases? So far it's not like you're really missing anything important with their implementation, just comparing it to the fantastic work Bitwig did to get their DAW Windows Surface ready. I assume at some point OSX will merge a bit more with iOS, in the better aspects at least, like multitouch support for OSX.

IF you haven't seem what Bitwig did, here's a too long video of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjZEQlxg3s
The surface is a tiny underpowered computer though.

I'm now curious how the Raven responds to a Pen like you use in the Surface or the new iPad Pro? This could be really useful with CC automation etc. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Michael Canavan wrote: I think this is due to the way DP addresses V-Racks as separate than the open Chunk/Sequence, and no big deal as long as you can move the fader with your finger in DP's GUI.
You can. Since the V-Rack can show in the DP Mixer (albeit outside the Master Fader), I don't see why it couldn't also show up on the Raven Mixer. Perhaps Matt will address this here.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

Gravity Jim wrote:
Waxman, on the Control Panel thing... I decided to leave the control panel where it is and just open a big Counter window on the display to my left.
I tried that for a while also but my fav way to get around in DP is the number keypad decimal then bar #. When the big counter is up that feature goes away... Maybe there is a work around. I also use that counter for beginning and end sections and transport functions. Locked in on the keypad. Used the Raven for a few more hours today and it is magical...

Jim I am so glad you are going first. hahaha... and I hope you are feeling better. I've been under the weather with the flu since Friday. Just shoot me...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Thanks, waxman... I am feeling better. Yesterday I just about opted for the emergency room, but wanted to wait because I knew they would hold me overnight. (I have Crohn's disease, and every once and while it gives me these symptoms, the worse of which is vasovagal syncope, an erratic and sudden drop in blood pressure that makes you pass out if you stand up. That was 24 hours ago, and I'm just about 100% right now).
Jim Bordner

waxman

Post by waxman »

That's great news Jim...
waxman
OLB

Post by OLB »

Great to read all your experiences guys. Sounds like it's a whole new world to explore!

One question regarding the Raven mixer. Does it show all the MIDI tracks as well? I'm not very familiar with the mackie control.

Thanks and loving the studio pics btw, very inspiring. :dance:
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yes, it does.

I generally route MIDI tracks into VI's, output from VI's into stereo track via busses, and then all those buss tracks in the Mix track and Master Fader. ALL those tracks show up in the Raven mixer, so you can control MIDI volume, VI volume and the volume of the submixes/stems.

The nice thing about this approach is that you can arm all the buss tracks and the Mix track and hit record, and print all your stems alongside the final mix in one pass.
Jim Bordner

OLB

Post by OLB »

Thanks for confirming Jim. Can't wait for mine to come in, especially after your positive experiences.

There is some movement in the UK shipment (pre-order payment has been taken), hopefully it will be delivered soon!
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I have a couple questions about Raven, and whether or not it would work in my setup..

1. My Mac Pro is in a machine room 40 ft. away from the control room. My (DVI) monitor output goes to an HDMI splitter at the computer that sends 4 signals over (4) CAT6 cables, to receivers that are in various places in my studio (1920X1080). I have USB 2.0 connections that are also extended the same way. Could the Raven work with these extension systems?

2. Provided it could work, could I have the 27" Raven display mirrored on my 60" monitor in the CR? Obviously it wouldn't be a 60" touchscreen, I just want it to mirror what happens on the MTi2.

3. I already have a MCU control and MCU extender (16 channels) in the SSL Matrix. Could the Raven work with it, or would I have to choose one or the other? If the latter, could I forgo the Mackie control with the Raven, and just use it like a standard touchscreen, like for editing plugins, etc?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Killahurts wrote:I have a couple questions about Raven, and whether or not it would work in my setup..
It will work if you use cable signal amps... HDMI only works about 15 to 20 Ft. I use signal amps and run 100 ft HDMI... But you would be better to get HDMI to SDI cable conversion boxes and use SDI cables. HDMI cables are expensive and delicate. SDI are made for what you want to do. USB will need signal amps also. If your mackie is getting USB off the mac you should be able to use that same cable...
waxman