He promised; He did it !

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
nk_e
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: He promised; He did it !

Post by nk_e »

mhschmieder wrote:Wow, you guys have HUGE studios/rooms/etc.! Here in the SF Bay Area, most stuff is Manhattan-sized (or Tokyo-sized, if you will).
F
Everything I use for production and computer work has to fit on a 46" wide table -- and that includes my monitors. I'm not sure the Raven will fit, but I hope to check its full specs soon, including the slanting setup shown above.
...and you never see acoustic treatments in a lot of these rooms anymore. Lotta gear, no treatment.

(I guess I can feel better about my space!) :)

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Space is an issue here too; it'd have to replace my single 30" Dell which is custom-fitted to my workspace.

No harm in waiting; this whole thing will play itself out on the forum.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Physical dimensions will play a part in my decision, but I'd be losing a small-format console that can't be smaller than the Raven MTi2. The idea of the Raven flanked by the two existing 23" widescreen displays gives me a whole new sense of what my work flow could be like.

The only problem is I foolishly made an equipment choice just two weeks ago... I put down a deposit on a b-stock Fuchs ODS 50 guitar head, which costs more than the Raven MTi and a new MOTU audio interface combined. And I'm really not a good enough guitar player to justify owning such and amp... so when it arrives, I may just sell it and spend the money on reconfiguring the place around a Raven.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

Shooshie wrote:Whoaaa! Is this real? I think I'm ready for Slate to buy out MOTU.

And did I correctly read that it's only $999?

The only other question is whether they'll keep it up to date for each DP release. This is amazing. I mean, it doesn't make sense NOT to use one of these things. It's like getting a touch-screen version of DP with a touch screen version of QuicKeys, plus all the enhancements you ever dreamed of, all in one. Plus... a touch screen! This is some serious stuff. Slate is freaking amazing.

Shooshie
It's pretty awesome, but the one he was using in the video is the $10k 46" version. The $999 27" version doesn't come with the cool console stand, only a brace similar to a heavy duty picture frame. Would definitely love to have one of $10k versions, though. Very cool but the touch features and the programmability.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
doodles

Post by doodles »

I almost don't care about the touch screen.

If it can do this batch commander thing for serious track printing (I remain dubious) the software's worth the money alone! I'll let you know when it arrives...
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

No standalone Batch Commander for DP yet I guess, maybe it's coming? Maybe not?
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
sndmarks

Post by sndmarks »

Interested to hear what you find, Doodles.

I had hoped for some sort of track output/printing feature in DP9 like Steinberg has for nuendo/cubase.

Bringing that feature alone would justify the cost of BC/Raven but the touchscreen would definitely be a fun bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
doodles

Post by doodles »

EMRR wrote:I had hoped for some sort of track output/printing feature in DP9 like Steinberg has for nuendo/cubase.

Bringing that feature alone would justify the cost of BC/Raven but the touchscreen would definitely be a fun bonus.
exactly!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I didn't write that.....sndmarks did
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Radiogal wrote:Yeah!!! Looking good. Really, great news and invention.
However... ergonomics.. using your hands and arms for every click, drag and change.
Considering the speed and large amount of mouse clicks we usually make every single day.

Are you all getting my Point?
I see scapula injuries and other hurting areas, back pain, neck, yeah, you may get my concerns.

I might be overreacting as I haven´t worked with the Raven yet, however I work with DP and know the amount of clicks.

Raven is probably worth it, but ergonomics should be taken into consideration before buying.
I´m unfortunately not to keen cuz of this.
This is my first thought. When starting full time in the studio in 1993 it only took a year before I ended up at the chiropractor with some serious back issues because of reaching all day. The Mackie D8B digital console solved the issues as one could use a mouse. I do enjoy sitting in my incredible ergonomic (and expensive) chair every day without having to move hardley a muscle for hours. Tough call.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

I'm actually curious as to whether or not grouped DP faders retain their relative offsets when being controlled by Raven. Does the Raven software mixer override the behavior of DP's own mixer, where grouped faders lose their offsets when increased in gain.

Anyone with a Raven check his out yet?

Thanks
Carlos
waxman

Post by waxman »

monkey man wrote:
waxman wrote:Monkey Man what's up with Tweeter, Jan, Bill and the undercover cop? Which Chuck? Buch of stuff? Hmmm. Need more input maybe PM.
My bad, Greg. Sorry mate.

Corrected post to read, "A bunch of stuff".

The main thing is that I was very happy to see you, brother.
Back at you MM... Love it.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thanks bro', I appreciate that.

The Wax is back!

waxman

Post by waxman »

monkey man wrote:Thanks bro', I appreciate that.

The Wax is back!
That's a scary thought.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Especially if your back needs waxin', Wax.

That'd hurt just a bit.