What version of M5 are you guys using in OSX

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Flare
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What version of M5 are you guys using in OSX

Post by Flare »

Dan,

What kind of system are you running? Engine? Software Version? Version of Machfive? Plugs?

I guarantee you: REGARDLESS of the system you are using, there are things that cause M5 to geek, and app fail. How much sample level editting are you doing??? Have you done much UVIX importation with version 1.2? How's that going? Short of trashing prefs on a regular basis, it's been a pain in my ass.

To be thorough, I've managed to achieve some pretty viable workarounds and am having more success editting, but the overall disposition I have at this point with MOTU is one of dismay. I don't want to have to incorporate time consuming, needless tasks to the way I edit. If I were to just go full speed editing in M5, it'd take a dump within the first few edits. I am gunshy to pushing M5 in any significant way. It's a shame such a great soft sampler is mired, at least for a majority of us...who are pushing it beyond changing fine tuning are release times. :-)p

As to some of the REX issues I've had, I've sussed out the major problem as being due largely to something as insignificant as 1 corrupt sample tanking DP upon playback. If anyone's having quits on a M5 sound/patch playback, that's probably the culprit. That really doesn't matter at this point though, as I'm using RMX for REX duties. It destroys M5 on that level.

And honestly, Dan, when you're in DP 4.5, and you save the file as "XXX" WHY on earth should it be saved as a 4.12 document??? Fine if you call that a system related issue, but DP versions previous never had this problem. Now, all of a sudden, its a Mac bug, and MOTU's wearing the halo?

Uhm...okay.
rikp

Post by rikp »

Maybe I am just blessed, but I have had very few problems with M5 and DP 4.5. Can't say the same for 4.5.1, finally dumped it and went back to 4.5.
I am using BFD, all Spectronics, all plugsound, Garritan PO and GigaStudio Orchestra running on al stand alone PC into my 828 via firewire. All is going great! I love DP4.5 and do agree about the bug fixes. I have also heard horror stories about Logic from several of my students who are currently using the program.

Have a great "bug free" new year!

Peace

rp
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

Hi Dan!
How do you use M5 with REX?
I've been tying without success
SB
iMac 27" i7 4.0, 3Te.32 G of Ram, Apollo Silver with TB expansion (coming up).
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

How do you use M5 and REX?
SB
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

Hi Dan!
How do you use REX files with M5?
SB
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

I use M5 1.2 with DP 4.5 on a G5 with only 1.5GB RAM. Haven't really had a problem. And I push the CPU to near-red quite often.

By and large, I find that if you dedicate the G5's brain to a singular task (e.g, audio work), it holds up pretty well.

You wanna crash a box? Try doing 3D animation for a living.