Effects in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Effects in DP

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: If so, is it possible words of rebuke might be better spent answering the OP's question?
PS: if the OP is 14, I'm sure he or she knows how to query Google. Green pastures abound.[/quote]
I think the OP did get some useful answers later in the thread. And it was not meant as a rebuke to others here. It was an observation about why the ungrateful wretch might not have bothered to post a second time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: If so, is it possible words of rebuke might be better spent answering the OP's question?
bayswater wrote:PS: if the OP is 14, I'm sure he or she knows how to query Google. Green pastures abound.
I think the OP did get some useful answers later in the thread. And it was not meant as a rebuke to others here. It was an observation about why the ungrateful wretch might not have bothered to post a second time.
The OP question was naive to the point of being silly. We tried to guess what the real question was and then useful answers did appear.

I'm with Bays on this one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hey, I was the first "rude responder", remember? :lol:

And, I have to admit, in commenting on others' comments, I did exactly what I was warning against.

PS: I think the OP was a troll. :arrrr:
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I guess I am just making an appeal to the better angels of our nature.

Instead of telling the OP that it was a dumb question, I would suggest a more generous and helpful reply, more along the lines of '...it looks to me like you are just starting out, here are some primary reference materials you ought to check out...' and/or '...here is a link to some basic terminology that might help you frame your questions better...'.

It is pretty easy to make someone else look/feel dumb.
It takes much more grace/skill/intelligence/compassion to help someone out.

I am just as 'guilty' as anyone for being dismissive and not suffering fools gladly. I want to change that, because the people I admire the most are the ones who can share their knowledge and experience with grace and kindness.

And I agree, the OP probably was trolling.

So what? When you let someone else' actions determine yours and you stoop to their level, they have succeeded in their negative, hurtful endeavor. If, however, you rise above, well... you rise above.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I actually can relate to the OP.

Too bad I didn't see this thread in time; otherwise, I would've helped him.

Even though I did 3 majors at Berklee College of Music (all writing majors), I actually never touched a compressor well after I graduated, let alone a limiter, a delay or a multi band compressor. I was "familiar" with what they were, thanks to the music technology courses, but they seemed "mysterious" and scary to me at the time.

Why?

Because my only interest was writing music. Up to that point, I had always written for live ensembles, so I was focused on counterpoint, orchestration, arranging, harmony, notation (Finale and by hand), etc. I didn't need to know those things. Even when I got my first broadcast gigs, 15 years ago, I basically sequenced my music with my hardware synths, which went out to 4 channels of my Yamaha 01V mixer, added some reverb, and that was it.

While the music was quite good, the production was quite poor, but it was good enough for its time and purpose. ONLY AFTER this, I realised that, if I wanted to step up to the next level, I really needed to get into MP&E and learn as much as possible about mixing, engineering, and mastering.

This very forum was INVALUABLE to me (as well as some private lessons), and I will ALWAYS remember the people who helped me with my stupid questions with respect and appreciation, and they occupy a certain special place in my brain.
Members like Phil O, Frodo, Shooshie, HCMarkus, James Steele, Monkey Man, MIDI Life Crisis (even though he was mean to me once :) ), will always have my gratitude for helping me with my newbie questions when I joined this forum.
Even with my current questions, I always appreciate help from our knowledgeable members.
And now, I think I´m in a position to help whenever I can, and I´ll strive to do it anytime I can in return.

I'm sorry the OP won´t be able to say the same thing or have such nice experience here, like I did :(
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:...Even though I did 3 majors at Berklee College of Music (all writing majors), I actually never touched a compressor well after I graduated, let alone a limiter, a delay or a multi band compressor. I was "familiar" with what they were, thanks to the music technology courses, but they seemed "mysterious" and scary to me at the time....
I can relate. My majors were in engineering (not music). My music education was, and to a certain extent still is, all from private lessons and tutoring with a few workshops/seminars. With close to no keyboard training, I feel about MIDI the way you feel about multi-band confabulators. I've asked my share of basic MIDI questions. So yeah, even though I'm one of the first people to say, "There IS such a thing as a stupid question" I try not to jump on people too hard when one is asked. Frustration and sometimes even anger towards trolls is understandable, but identifying said troll is not always beyond question. Sometimes it's a stupid question. Sometimes its a troll. If we get it wrong, who's to blame?

JMHO,
Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:I actually can relate to the OP.I'm sorry the OP won´t be able to say the same thing or have such nice experience here, like I did :(
Yes FM (and your kind words are appreciated - much thanks!) but as I recall, your questions have always been of a scope that suggested you had taken the time to explore concepts and had run into specific concerns. You always exhibit courtesy on both the answer AND question sides of the information equation.

Bottom line, and I'm sure I speak for most... we enjoy and value the community at MOTUNation and are happy to share when we can offer constructive comments. Personally, I have learned much along the way.

Let me throw in kudos to our mod Mod James while I'm at it… thank you Mr. Steele!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

HCMarkus wrote:...but as I recall, your questions have always been of a scope that suggested you had taken the time to explore concepts and had run into specific concerns. You always exhibit courtesy on both the answer AND question sides of the information equation.
Exactly.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Don't forget the passion!

Who could forget the palpable sense of frustration Fernando oozed in those heady days? He wanted... needed to know many things. He had deadlines and appeared to be under some sort of pressure to up the sound quality of his work; a combination of commercial competition and self-imposed pressure, I suspect.

... and then there was the time his girlfriend had him boiling to the point of bursting. I'll not forget that.

In those early days, when I thought of Fernando, I thought of passion. Latin passion. It's not my place to pass judgement on folks' personal growth rates, but I've not been able to help noticing that our 'Nando has come a long way, at least from where I sit (upside down, Down Under on a pile of rotten banana skins).
FMiguelez wrote:Members like Phil O, Frodo, Shooshie, HCMarkus, James Steele, Monkey Man, MIDI Life Crisis (even though he was mean to me once :) ), will always have my gratitude for helping me with my newbie questions when I joined this forum.
You know, Fernando, you'll always occupy a special place in my heart not just for who you are now, but because of an occasion many years ago when you thanked me, referring back to, I think, one of your very first posts two or three years prior to that, for being the first to patiently help you through an issue. I've no idea what it was - maybe your banana skins weren't ripening your avocados quickly enough or your iguana had an upset stomach and you needed a clean-up crew, but either way, I'll not forget the heart-felt gratitude you showed me.

As we all know, one doesn't give to receive; one gives because the act of doing so is somehow cathartic, uplifting, liberating, empowering and, for me at least, indescribably beneficial. The fact that on occasion true appreciation is expressed is, for me at least, akin to a very thick layer of icing's being applied to a cake I've always been more than happy to eat "plain"... with perhaps a little cream for moisture(!).
FMiguelez wrote:I'm sorry the OP won´t be able to say the same thing or have such nice experience here, like I did :(
Who knows, if he / she returns at any point from now on, the thread should look a whole lot more friendly and understanding than it might have otherwise.
BKK-OZ wrote:I guess I am just making an appeal to the better angels of our nature.

Instead of telling the OP that it was a dumb question, I would suggest a more generous and helpful reply, more along the lines of '...it looks to me like you are just starting out, here are some primary reference materials you ought to check out...' and/or '...here is a link to some basic terminology that might help you frame your questions better...'.

It is pretty easy to make someone else look/feel dumb.
It takes much more grace/skill/intelligence/compassion to help someone out.

I am just as 'guilty' as anyone for being dismissive and not suffering fools gladly. I want to change that, because the people I admire the most are the ones who can share their knowledge and experience with grace and kindness.

And I agree, the OP probably was trolling.

So what? When you let someone else' actions determine yours and you stoop to their level, they have succeeded in their negative, hurtful endeavor. If, however, you rise above, well... you rise above.
For a moment there I thought I was listening to my own heart.

Then I thought you were channeling it with some new-fangled device.

Finally it dawned on me that you're indeed a legend, BK.

OK, now that all this sop's out of the way, let's have a group hug and sing kumbaya! :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here