DP 9 impressions and issues thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VE PRO-DP Crash on Quit Issue and Solution

Post by toodamnhip »

I'm using the ilok version, which seems to be their only solution to the crash on quit problem for the time being.

That’s quite bizarre that ilok versions cause crashes? I wonder why?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:
I'm using the ilok version, which seems to be their only solution to the crash on quit problem for the time being.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but he seems to be saying that the iLok version doesn't have this problem?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but he seems to be saying that the iLok version doesn't have this problem?
Yes is Mis typed
But it is bizarre that any difference in iLok status would be the difference between crashing on quit and not crashing
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

toodamnhip wrote:I'm using the ilok version, which seems to be their only solution to the crash on quit problem for the time being...
]

Ever since iLok 'changed' I have had a plug-in that I have to re-authorize everytime I restart my MBP. iLok says it's a Sound-Toys problem, and vice versa. So I would believe that iLok has some hook into the System that might be problematical or poorly coded. My hunch is it relates to the way you can now authorize a computer itself for an iLok-type authorization, instead of it residing on the physical iLok. :arrow: :?: :idea: :?: :!:
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

tommymandel wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:I'm using the ilok version, which seems to be their only solution to the crash on quit problem for the time being...
]

Ever since iLok 'changed' I have had a plug-in that I have to re-authorize everytime I restart my MBP. iLok says it's a Sound-Toys problem, and vice versa. So I would believe that iLok has some hook into the System that might be problematical or poorly coded. My hunch is it relates to the way you can now authorize a computer itself for an iLok-type authorization, instead of it residing on the physical iLok. :arrow: :?: :idea: :?: :!:
Dude!! That's a really cool explanation. I like that word you used to describe the bug... "hook" in the system....nice. I feel enlightened. :woohoo:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
jahjedi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Export Soundbite bug?

Post by jahjedi »

Hi,

I'm not sure if its a DP9 bug or user error but I'm trying to export a soundbite (Export>Selected Soundbites) and the resulting audio file is completely silent all the way through. I've tried both simply selecting the soundbite as well as swiping it. It's output channel is correctly set to the main outs.

I also found I get a silent file if i try to bounce a session to disc where at least one track has a live instance of the Etch plug (FXpansion) on it. There might be an Etch update I need to go find.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some issues that've I'd not come across in previous versions

Thanks
James
M1 Mac Mini - macOS 14 - DP11.23
Basstrup

Re: DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by Basstrup »

One more issue in lanes...

Holding down the Option key in the lower third of the Soundbites "lane" changes the tool to Magnifying glass as expected (including changing cursor). In an other lane it changes to magnifying glass in the full lane heigh, which is fine but the cursor remains the pointer, it does not change to the magnifying glass.

Just a small one, but it would be nice to see consistent UI.
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

When Creating track groups in DP , and going to custom, I find a repeatable crash there.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

sdfalk wrote:When Creating track groups in DP , and going to custom, I find a repeatable crash there.
I selected three tracks, clicked Project > Track Groups > New Track Group, and changed the drop down menu from Edit and Mix to Custom, changed a few options and clicked OK. I tried it twice and got no crash.

Are you using different steps to produce a crash?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I really think that specific 3rd party system enhancements and plugs are largely responsible for odd crashes only individuals are seeing. A driver here. A graphic enhancement there. Even certain system settings., a corrupted plist file. I do believe they all play a role in the oddball crashed.

The system and software has gotten so deep and complicated that something is bound to go wrong sometime.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I really think that specific 3rd party system enhancements and plugs are largely responsible for odd crashes only individuals are seeing. A driver here. A graphic enhancement there. Even certain system settings., a corrupted plist file. I do believe they all play a role in the oddball crashed.

The system and software has gotten so deep and complicated that something is bound to go wrong sometime.
I agree. But it seems from reports on this board that DP9 is overall solid. It has been solid for me, in that there have been no crashes. Whenever I hit the spacebar to stop, there is a popping sound, like something suddenly shutting off.. could be a CPU spike, but I wouldn't know, I shut that indicator off a long time ago :wink: Other than that, works great.

Here is an odd behavior:

I'm not sure what it's called, but the MIDI now plays from the middle of MIDI events, i.e. you don't have to play from before a MIDI note to make it sound. So If you have a long chord, let's say a string pad, and (from stopped) you hit play somewhere in it, it will still play those chords, as though it were audio. Is this a result of under-the-hood changes that occurred to make MIDI mute happen?

I noticed it when I was tracking audio, with MIDI VIs playing. Never happened with previous versions. Didn't read about it in the update notes.. I hope it was intended. This undocumented feature alone made it worth the upgrade cost for me. I've wished for this forever.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
dix

Post by dix »

I'm not sure what it's called, but the MIDI now plays from the middle of MIDI events, i.e. you don't have to play from before a MIDI note to make it sound. So If you have a long chord, let's say a string pad, and (from stopped) you hit play somewhere in it, it will still play those chords, as though it were audio. Is this a result of under-the-hood changes that occurred to make MIDI mute happen?
DP has always done this for me. There's an option for this in Setup>Event Chasing. Set to Notes it plays MIDI data from wherever you start the sequence.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

dix wrote:
DP has always done this for me. There's an option for this in Setup>Event Chasing. Set to Notes it plays MIDI data from wherever you start the sequence.
Interesting.. never knew it was there. Maybe they've changed the default to have it on- that would explain why it's suddenly "new" to me :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

jlaudon wrote:It's been great except for I can't seem to change MIDI channels (say I want to assign Machfive-1 MIDI channel to Machfive-2), as the pull down menu doesn't pull down - no response on MIDI track outputs when I click on them, but audio and axes are fine... I then updated to OS X 10.10.3, and that seemed to have taken care of the problem, but tonite as I went into a couple projects, the same non-response on MIDI channels has surfaced again....weird...

I suppose I'll try re-installing DP9 (DP8 works fine) and see what happens.
Have you found a fix yet for this issue?
I couldn't change or even assign MIDI channels!! The pull down menus for MIDI channels show MIDI assignments but are unchangable....What???? I then re started computer and DP and it worked...strange.
I might have to go back to DP 8 if I keep finding issues. And the mute automation bug for plug ins is about to make me leave 9 for sure. Any plug in that has mute automation is subject to this bug...some plus automate mutes fine, some don’t. This makes all my past mixes subject to automation failure....Yikes.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Impressions:

Love the new "Nine" theme.
Runs like a total champ. I can see and feel the enhanced memory handling and inside tweaks. No weirdness.
MicroG and MicroB are a bit of a disappointment.
However, MX4 is actually better than I expected.
Both Live Room plugs seem to be working better for me. The bass room is now very usable.
The buffer size pull down in the CP is a nice touch. Handy.
Still don't feel a need for Mute MIDI Notes, but I may find one now that it's here.
Floating VI windows come in handy, even with plenty of display space, especially when setting gain staging through a plug.
The new Create Tracks window is a winner.
And even though I'm more likely to replay a MIDI par than edit it into submission, I still really appriciate the controller lanes. Looking forward to seeing them in the MIDI window.
Tabbed subwindows in the CW! Alright now!
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]