DP8.07 for Windows Port Problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8.07 for Windows Port Problem

Post by jsg »

I've been troubleshooting for the past week.

When I have multiple ports with instruments playing on each, I get dropped notes, hanging notes and wrong notes. Through the process of elimination, I have definitely ruled out MIDI loop or feedback or any kind of hardware problem with my MIDI interfaces.

When I play back channels on the same port, no problems. Here's my MIDI signal path:

1. DP OUT (on a Windows 7 SP1 64-bit machine, all in 64-bit mode) to MIDI Express XT IN
2. MIDI Express XT OUT to MOTU Microlite 5x5 IN (using 4 ports)
3. Microlite OUT to additional Windows 7 64-bit SP1 machine IN. This machine has an RME 9652 interface that sends out received MIDI data as audio via ADAT. It hosts the VSL orchestral cube running under the Vienna Ensemble host.

When I use this exact same hardware and signal path with Sonar X3e (and every earlier Sonar version) I have absolutely no MIDI problems of any kind.

I have lots of memory in both machines, the DAW has 16GB and the VSL machine has 24GB. Both have plenty of hard drive space and fast processors.

Is this a bug in DP? Any help is much appreciated. MOTU tech support, with whom I've been speaking with frequently about this, doesn't know what the problem is.

Thanks,
Jerry Gerber
http://www.jerrygerber.com
kdm

Re: DP8.07 for Windows Port Problem

Post by kdm »

I just installed 8.07 and the lag to my slave system for MIDI triggering is terrible - around 0.5 sec, with just one MIDI track (MidiOverLan to the slave), and one Aux input. I think I'll uninstall 8.07 and try 8.05 again.

This isn't the same problem you are seeing, but it could be related in some way. I'm sure 8.05 didn't have this long delay. I am guessing what you are seeing is a bug, and a rather serious one. I will report what I am seeing to MOTU as well. Perhaps with a few reports they will dig into the issue on their end.
jsg

Re: DP8.07 for Windows Port Problem

Post by jsg »

kdm wrote:I just installed 8.07 and the lag to my slave system for MIDI triggering is terrible - around 0.5 sec, with just one MIDI track (MidiOverLan to the slave), and one Aux input. I think I'll uninstall 8.07 and try 8.05 again.

This isn't the same problem you are seeing, but it could be related in some way. I'm sure 8.05 didn't have this long delay. I am guessing what you are seeing is a bug, and a rather serious one. I will report what I am seeing to MOTU as well. Perhaps with a few reports they will dig into the issue on their end.
Thanks KDM,

I resolved the issue too, I also installed MOL and it solved all MIDI issues. Not to mention I eliminated 9 cables and 3 pieces of hardware. DP8.07 for windows is now working great on my system--audio, MIDI, all VST plugins--all good.

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com