Pros & Cons of various macro utilties: QK vs KM vs CM vs ??

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Pros & Cons of various macro utilties: QK vs KM vs CM vs

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm dusting off this old thread. I recently needed to set up a macro, and tried using ControllerMate but haven't been able to get it to execute the macro.

I tried emailing the developer a couple of times and got no reply. There's a forum, but the links all take you back to the home page. I suspect the forum may have gotten over-run by spam (I saw some other forum posts suggesting that possibility).

Looks like I might be giving Keyboard Maestro (KM) a try. Ken? (CM dev) If you're out there, would love to know what's up.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

KM has been working very well. Some apps are not as receptive at times (Finale in particular).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

LOVE LOVE LOVE keyboard maestro here. That along with Default Folder, I don't EVER wanna be without.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
frankf

Pros & Cons of various macro utilties: QK vs KM vs CM vs ??

Post by frankf »

I’ve been using KM with DP for several years and I’m a big fan. It saves me a lot of time. Developer frequently updates the app and is responsive.

The above mentioned Default Folder is also a “can’t do without utility” for me.

No problems here with DP9 and Sierra/high Sierra.

I came from QK myself and never looked back.

One thing with any macro program. As Mac OS and third party utilities are updated, watch for duplicate system wide or DP Command conflicting key or MIDI triggers which will disrupt your DP workflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm going to give Keyboard Maestro a try. I don't know if there is a demo period, but the price is reasonable, and it looks both feature-packed and user-friendly. Glad to hear about support & updates. This is one of those tools that I'll have to learn about and get creative with how I can use it.

Just downloaded. Cool to see all the legacy versions are available as well.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

KB doesn’t have much of a learning curve, but coming from QK I had to change my mindset on how these things work. It’s a bit confusing on how to isolate a macro to be active in one running app but not in another. There are many ways to do the same operation in KM and the programmers are quick to respond to questions on the forum. It works, but it is to QK (RIP) what Sibelius is to Finale. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

There's two aspects of DP that drive me crazy. I've wondered for a while if a macro utility could help (somehow I doubt it).

1. In the ME, could a macro be applied so that the pull down menu on the bottom left for controller display mode stays on Lines? I have to manually toggle it with a mouse, hundreds of times a day often.

2. With some exceptions I almost always want audio Fade ins and outs to be Linear and crossfades to be Equal Powered. Could a macro do this so I don't have to always be opening the Fades dialog box? Again, something I do often do hundreds of times a day.

Better yet. Maybe there's some pro tips for either of these groove killers I don't know about.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I imagine it could. The first thing is to always check DP's COMMANDS windows to see if there is a short-cut for any of those things you do often. The second thing is to make sure you save a good default 'new' file, so that a bunch of those settings are already taken care of when you start up.

I think these macro tools can have you click somewhere relative to the corner of a window, so-- in theory, you could have it store some locations to click & open things-- but it would take some up-front trial & error.

There's probably more tips like window sets in DP, and other stuff I haven't dealt with much.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:KB doesn’t have much of a learning curve, but coming from QK I had to change my mindset on how these things work. It’s a bit confusing on how to isolate a macro to be active in one running app but not in another. There are many ways to do the same operation in KM and the programmers are quick to respond to questions on the forum. It works, but it is to QK (RIP) what Sibelius is to Finale. Lol
I have a visceral sense of what that means-- not that my Finale experience was a picnic-- but at least with Finale, I ALWAYS got unstuck.