Delay Plugins

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Delay Plugins

Post by philbrown »

stubbsonic wrote:Hey, I'm just curious about the under-the-hood things that make these delays different, i.e., one better than another.

Setting aside the fact that all delays basically do one thing: i.e., repeat the input-- what are the other kinds of qualities that you look for in a delay?

For example, there are tape & tube saturation emulations which might bandpass and distort the taps and perhaps add some wow. And some offer smear/diffusion to blur transients. Some have various filters. Some offer feedback networks that can add taps to specific taps. And panning, to localize various taps (and taps of taps) in the panorama.

Other factors might include a nice UI, and ability to adjust in a range/resolution that is useful.

But with the sound itself, are there other factors that can be identified-- you know beyond, "warmth" "girth" "air" "shimmer" "sparkle" "envelopment" etc.?
The PSP 42 (and the 85) both have extensive filtering and modulation capabilities and the net result (for me) is they are really good at more 'sound design' stuff, dreamy/spacy/ethereal sounds especially. The Cooper Time Cube is downright strange but I like it for some of the stereo effect it creates. Blue Tubes Oilcan is fairly dirty (in a good way) and blends into a mix differently than a clean delay. UA's Echoplex is cool because it has that sound and flavor and is a familiar sound on guitar (I used a real one back in the day) and also you can manipulate the controls in real time (anyone remember Tommy Bolin on Quadrant 4 by Billy Cobham?) and do all that crazy pitch stuff. There are other tape-delay emulations of course that each offer different flavors just like the original units did (or close).

OTOH, a lot of people dig PSP's 608 and I've never found it useful at all, it's just too clean for my taste, and MOTU's Delay wet/dry mix control is too coarse for my tastes- I'm always wanting to set it at 6.4% wet or something. There's a Waves one too that you can place all the delays around the field (sorry don't recall the name) and it just sounds really clinical/sterile/digital/cold to my ears. I can hear the audio-adjective-police siren getting closer as I type this.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

philbrown wrote:...and MOTU's Delay wet/dry mix control is too coarse for my tastes- I'm always wanting to set it at 6.4% wet or something.
Yea, I've had the exact same experience. I realized that it simply can't be used without assigning it to an Aux Track where the fader can be used for mix level. This also made it easy to apply pitch, filter and distortion effects to that delay in a controlled way.
philbrown wrote:There's a Waves one too that you can place all the delays around the field (sorry don't recall the name) and it just sounds really clinical/sterile/digital/cold to my ears. I can hear the audio-adjective-police siren getting closer as I type this.
:lol: :rofl: :lol:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I can hear the audio-adjective-police siren getting closer as I type this.
I call this a Martin Mull Moment. It was he who first said, "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

(No matter how many others this is ascribed to on the internet, the quote is original to MM)
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

guitardood wrote:On the cheap alternative, I've had pretty good results with the Delay plug in DP, however, it seems to have sporadic digital clicks when using locked timing (beats,notes).
Yes, I've noticed that. What I can't stand the most, is when you use a Low Pass Filter (in the Filter section of the plug-in), and the first repeat has no filtering applied to it, whatsoever. That just ruins it for me. The initial sound is dry, after that the filter should kick in...it doesn't...not until you hear TWO dry signals in a row. :shake:

Other than that, I think it's a nice sounding plug.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Tritonemusic wrote:[...]What I can't stand the most, is when you use a Low Pass Filter (in the Filter section of the plug-in), and the first repeat has no filtering applied to it, whatsoever. That just ruins it for me. The initial sound is dry, after that the filter should kick in...it doesn't...not until you hear TWO dry signals in a row.[...]
Well... I would not use *any* delay plug without high pass and low pass, and/or high-frequency-taming-eq inserted in delay wet signal chain. But that's just me? Or why DP delay just does fine for me...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

billf wrote:
monkey man wrote:Oh, and I think the delay is in the UltraChannel plug. Haven't tried it yet, but I seem to recall someone's saying something about this. I'm probably wrong 'though, 'cause I'd expect a delay to typically be in a 'verb plug; I mean, it's "crude" 'verb after all, algorithmically speaking.

Then again, a precision delay is arguably a channel utility, and it could be an extension of that...
Yep, both the Eventide UltraChannel and UltraReverb have Delay modules included Monkster.
Thank you, Billy.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

While this particular version may have originated with Martin Mull, it's only an original paraphrase. The construction "Writing about music is like ________ about _________" goes back at least as far as 1912, when the most common version went "Writing about music is like singing about economics."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

daniel.sneed wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:[...]What I can't stand the most, is when you use a Low Pass Filter (in the Filter section of the plug-in), and the first repeat has no filtering applied to it, whatsoever. That just ruins it for me. The initial sound is dry, after that the filter should kick in...it doesn't...not until you hear TWO dry signals in a row.[...]
Well... I would not use *any* delay plug without high pass and low pass, and/or high-frequency-taming-eq inserted in delay wet signal chain. But that's just me? Or why DP delay just does fine for me...
I must admit that I don't understand what you're talking about.

All I was trying to say was DP's Delay plug-in doesn't filter the first repeat.
Last edited by Tritonemusic on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

People write about music here all the time, and I bet most of us understand it. Didn't Tom Lehrer sing about economics? Neither are anything like dancing about architecture.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote:
This little freebie from Plugin Alliance will do the trick inserted before Delay:
https://plugin-alliance.com/en/products ... ep_v2.html

The joystick is cool.

It can be downloaded by itself or as part of the PA Free Bundle that gets you all four:

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/products ... le_v1.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Tritonemusic wrote:I must admit that I don't understand what you're talking about.
Well, to write it clearer, my delay plugs are parallel aux inserted. I quite always set heavy low pass (basic DP eq plug) say around 4000Hz, after delay, in wet signal (aux track).
So dry signal is unfiltered, the first repeat will be filtered by this low pass, subsequent ones will be filtered by delay plug regen low pass, say around 2000Hz.
Sometimes I chose heavy high frequency taming, say -10dB / 6kHz, instead of low pass. Depending on taste and project.
Got satisfaction, for me and my clients, with DP delay around these settings for years now.
As ever, YMMV.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stevenew

Post by stevenew »

Wow, lots of interesting info here, since I posted my original post I have been trying various demos. I tried Soundtoys Echoboy, MH Dirty Delay, Eventide Blackhole & UltraReverb, PSP 42, I am sure there were some others, none of them really tempted me, but I did really like the PSP 42 & the UltraReverb but a bit too pricy for me at the moment. Blackhole was fun but with a combination of Valhalla Ubermod & Shimmer I can get very similar. Dirty Delay was good but the small interface hurt my ageing eyes!

I think they have made me realise how good the Valhalla Ubermod & Nomad Echoes are for getting 'tape' delays for guitar, I am surprised that no one else has mentioned Ubermod, I do find it takes a bit time to get the sound I'm looking for but it is pretty versatile & sits in the mix beautifully.
Also I now that I have tried my UltraChannel delay I can see that getting a lot of use for my 'straight' delay needs.

Obviously I could not personally try them but the UAD RE201 & EP34 demos sound real good.

Thanks

Steve
2018 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 16GB. External SSD Sample Drives. macOS Monterey 12.2. MOTU 624 & 8D. Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, DP 9.52, DSP Quattro 5. Arturia, Gforce, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Slate, SSD5, Soniccouture, Spectrasonics, Spitfire. Novation 61 SLMKII, JBL LSR 305, Sennheiser HD600, AKG 240MKII. PRS, Martin Guitars, Mensinger Bass. Vox & Orange amps. Line 6 Helix.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

daniel.sneed wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:I must admit that I don't understand what you're talking about.
Well, to write it clearer, my delay plugs are parallel aux inserted. I quite always set heavy low pass (basic DP eq plug) say around 4000Hz, after delay, in wet signal (aux track).
So dry signal is unfiltered, the first repeat will be filtered by this low pass, subsequent ones will be filtered by delay plug regen low pass, say around 2000Hz.
Sometimes I chose heavy high frequency taming, say -10dB / 6kHz, instead of low pass. Depending on taste and project.
Got satisfaction, for me and my clients, with DP delay around these settings for years now.
As ever, YMMV.
Oh, now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:People write about music here all the time, and I bet most of us understand it. Didn't Tom Lehrer sing about economics? Neither are anything like dancing about architecture.
Brilliant!. Indeed, neither is so.

Great example there too, Stoiv. I've got 8 of his albums.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote:People write about music here all the time, and I bet most of us understand it. Didn't Tom Lehrer sing about economics? Neither are anything like dancing about architecture.

Yeah, they do. And when they're done, just exactly as much understanding of music has occurred as when Tom Lehrer sang about economics.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]