Option+drag doesn't duplicate notes in MIDI Editor

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Option+drag doesn't duplicate notes in MIDI Editor

Post by MDesigner »

This is odd. In the Tracks list, I can option+drag to duplicate something, but it doesn't work in the MIDI Editor. This seems like an oversight, but maybe I'm missing something. Even the manual says you can option+click/drag to duplicate something.

Is this just me or does this not work for others?
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
bdr

Re: Option+drag doesn't duplicate notes in MIDI Editor

Post by bdr »

Works for me. You might have the 'snap to grid' on (top RH corner of the MIDI editor) and be trying to opt-drag by a smaller amount than the grid allows snapping to. Uncheck the box next to the 'G' and try again.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

D'oh! You have to hold option BEFORE you click/drag the note. In many applications you can hold option after the click, which is what I was doing.
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MDesigner wrote:D'oh! You have to hold option BEFORE you click/drag the note. In many applications you can hold option after the click, which is what I was doing.
I think it used to work that way.

Keep in mind that DP8 represents completely new code for an app with nearly 30 years of code. When Steve Jobs pulled the rug out from under Carbon apps and made the Cocoa environment a requirement for 64 bits, it meant that apps like DP had to be rewritten from the ground up. That's a lot of code.

We're all still finding little details like the one you just found. I'm not 100% sure if it used to work that way or not, but I think I remember it being such that you could push OPTION after clicking the note, and it would copy.

The problem is that it's always hard to remember if it used to be that way, or if we're just imagining it. There have been probably over a dozen little details like that. I'm now writing them down as I come across them. I wish I'd done that from the start of DP8. I'll be sending them to MOTU as I come up with a group of 4 or more.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The problem is that it's always hard to remember if it used to be that way, or if we're just imagining it.
I think that happened around the time I turned 50.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
frankf

Post by frankf »

mikehalloran wrote:
The problem is that it's always hard to remember if it used to be that way, or if we're just imagining it.
I think that happened around the time I turned 50.
Tell me about it!
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB