Alesis monitors...

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Groovy _Beat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Alesis monitors...

Post by Groovy _Beat »

So what about these Alesis Monitor Mk1 Active ?

Does anyone have any personal experience with these ?

Depending on who i speak to they are the best/worst monitors at the price ever created...but which is it ???

I've listened to lots in this price range and now am finding it hard to make a decision - as they will all sound different when they are back in my acoustically 'untreated' room (i know - i'm working on it !!)

Whats hot and whats not in the sub £400 monitor price range that competes with them?

PS: This is my first post so hello to all on the forum - also apologies on posting another 'monitor' question - but i'm about to spend my cash and i need to know for sure.

Many thanks.
johnnytucats
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Alesis monitors...

Post by johnnytucats »

The Mk1 is the old version and the Mk2 is the newer one. Make sure you're not paying too much if you decide to get the Mk1s.

I have the un-powered Monitor One Mk2s. They're really just OK in my estimation. A friend has the Mk1 actives and they're about the same sound-wise. They don't sound amazing by any means. We had Event monitors where I used to work I and could really tell that they were clearer and crisper. However, I couldn't mix on them worth a crap because I was accustomed to mine and didn't have enough time on them, if you know what I mean.

Give a little more info on what primary style of music you'll be working with and your budget so the folks here can zero in on recommendations.
Groovy _Beat

Post by Groovy _Beat »

Actually Johnny i meant the Monitor One Active Mk 2 - the silly confusing name got me - erm - confused !! Well - it was very late here !!

I'm doing a bit of Dance/Trance (vocal) based stuff at the moment though i would like it to be a flexible monitoring system for all styles.

I know there are other monitors from KRK - the Rokit RP5 's, the Samson Resolv 65a, Event TR5 and TR6 (bit more money here) and the M-Audio BX8's - which have very mixed reviews.

Anyone using these for Trance or similar music right now ?
tsd3000

Post by tsd3000 »

Hay mate,

i use them, they are great for the price. the thing that i think is for a home studio in an untreated room your never going to get an "accurate" sound, so get monitors you like the sound of. that way your more inclinded to get a vibe going and enjoy yourself when producing / writing a track...

then when it comes time to mix, put in your reference cds and match as best you can how they sound in your inviroment on your speakers.

i guess this is a long way of saying if you like the sound of them, as i do, buy them and then dont give a f%$k about what other people tell you about them.
tsd3000

Post by tsd3000 »

oh yeah, i mix on an SSL at work with Quested and KRK, but i still like the sound of my monitors at home. but as pointed out earler by the other poster, they are not overly clear or crisp, but have a good vibe...
duncan

Post by duncan »

I use the Monitor One MK 2 passive, and have found them to be a little light on the bass. (They're mounted on stands, away from the wall.) So I also use some big Peavys mounted on the wall for checking bass, and some little Sony's from a ghetto blaster mounted less than a meter away. Vocals are more out front on the little Sonys, and it's easier to hear the reverb. If the bass is okay on the Sony's and not too loud on the Peavys, then I figure I'm in the ballpark. The main thing is to A/B your mix with real CD's, and also check your mix with headphones.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will wipe out an entire species."