traveler pres

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
RPB
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

traveler pres

Post by RPB »

just wanted to see what you all think of how the preamps on the traveler sound. i am just beginning to use DP rig (right now i'm trying to switch over from PTLE and Mbox). i'm currently using an apogee mini me to bypass the converters/pres on the mbox, then sending the signal into the box through spdif. but i'm getting a little muffled sound. i almost like it better just using the preamps in the mbox. wondering how the traveler pres compare, and if anyone has any other suggestions on how to get a better sound (particularly for vocals) using the said equipment.

~thanks
R
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: traveler pres

Post by chrispick »

I don't have or use Traveler but everything I've read and heard from salesfolk is that its preamps are very good for the price.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Actually, the pres in the MiniMe are VERY good...definitely better than both the Mbox AND the Traveler. If you have a MINIME, use that as both your pres and front-end through your Traveler's SPDIF input.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
RPB

Post by RPB »

thanks for the tip about using the MINI ME to bypass the other pres. but when i started tracking the other day, i was trying to adjust the input from the spdif connection, and it wasn't moving. i was turning the knob on the L input....if i have it connected to the interface via spdif, should i be adjusting the Monitor knob on the mini me? i was probably just doing it wrong.

thanks for the help.
jaffi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jaffi »

The pres are very good in my opinion. They are nice and transparent. I haven't noticed much difference between sample rates. If you want really good pres, get a really high quality anologue pre and plug it into one of the Traveler's line level inputs. I recommend Pheonix Audio for that old school sound and Great River for a really fat clean sound. They both run about $2500 for a 2 channel unit, but are well worth that in their aural benefit.
Joe
dynamix

Post by dynamix »

Love this guys stuff! I use the M-1 into the line inputs of my 896. Great high end sound, fair price.

http://www.johnhardyco.com/
http://www.dvbmusic.com

Dual 2 Ghz G5, MOTU 896, OS 10.3.9, DP 4.6, Mach 5, Kontakt 2.2, MX4, Reason 3.0.5, GPO, Absynth 4.0.2, B4 Organ II 2.0.3,. MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM w/ MOTU Traveler & MOTU Bag w/ OS 10.4.10, DP 5.12