XLR to TRS Snakes

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
lumisuto
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

XLR to TRS Snakes

Post by lumisuto »

Hi. I have a little newbie question. Is it okay to connect mics to an XLR to TRS snake, and in the other end connect them to the mixer's preamps or to a patchbay that will later be routed to preamps or to the mixer? Im wondering if it may have some problem with phantom power or something of that kind. Thanks..
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: XLR to TRS Snakes

Post by wonder »

you should never run phantom or any other type of external voltage through a patchbay...

also, its best to stay in the XLR realm...its not IMPERATIVE but its a good rule of thumb. Also, make sure you always keep TRS with XLR, dont just use 1/4 inch or you'll lose db.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

actually phantom power through patchbays is quite normal. The concern is if you're using a TRS patchbay you need to be careful of patching with phantom power on.... As long as phantom power is off when you patch/un-patch, it's safe but patch/un-patch while Phantom is on then you can cause damage to the gear.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
Larry Sheehan

Post by Larry Sheehan »

Specifically, you can short the phantom power supply.

HOSA make a very reasonably priced XLR panel. I got some 1 ft XLr cord made up by Markertek and I was in business. I turned the xlrs around on the panels that got connected to the equipment inputs, so there was no way to misconnect.
Larry Sheehan
San Gabriel Sound
wonder

Post by wonder »

thats why you should never run phantom power through a patch bay....ONE slip of the mind to forget to turn off the phantom power while patching and you're screwed. Use external phantom power if possible
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
aboutfaceaudio

Post by aboutfaceaudio »

I would run your preamp ins to an XLR mic panel and your Mic preamp outs to a patchbay. That way you can plug your mics in and still be able to patch your compressors, eqs and whatnot between the preamp stage and the recorder.

This is how I do it. It works well, whether you have a separate room or not.

I can't stress enough how important good cabling is. Hosa is alright, but it degrades fast and you can't repair the cable ends. It's dead easy to learn and you can do it while you're listening to your mixes hundreds of times.

I would also recommend soldering your own cables for your assemblies. Mogami makes the best cable, followed by redco, canare, etc. If you can't be bothered, companies will make assemblies for you. Compare the prices and you'll see why making your own is the cheapest. I have all three types of cable in my studio.in my studio.

Some useful links:

www.haveinc.com
www.redco.com

Sorry for the early morning ramble.