Upgrading my firewire interface

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Upgrading my firewire interface

Post by chrispick »

Hey all,

I need to upgrade my firewire interface for my home project studio.

Currently, I use an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. If I need to record audio in, I line into my Roland VS-1680 and run it through the M-Audio Audiophile. Not the most elegant of solutions. Certainly not the cleanest.

Right now, I'm considering the Tascam FW-1804 (around $600) or the MOTU 828mkII (around $750). What are your opinions regarding one item over the other?

Thanks in advance.
dickhauser
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Upgrading my firewire interface

Post by dickhauser »

Don't want to hijack your question, but I don't know about the two devices you mentioned and wanted to ask if you'd looked at the Onyx mixers from Mackie. The Firewire option looks very cool. Much more money than you are currently looking at (the option is something like $400 and you still have to buy the mixer, but I like the idea because you can send all of the mixer channels to the computer. Just plug it in and (if your on a mac) the Audio MIDI setup recognizes it (acording to the manual I read today).

I do have an old Fostex VM200 which I use on remote recording and love the sound that it produces.
Dick H

24" iMac M3, OS Sonoma 14.4.1 , 16GB, DP 11.31
828x, 8Pre, Mach5 3.2.1
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by Dick Hauser:
Don't want to hijack your question, but I don't know about the two devices you mentioned and wanted to ask if you'd looked at the Onyx mixers from Mackie. The Firewire option looks very cool. Much more money than you are currently looking at (the option is something like $400 and you still have to buy the mixer, but I like the idea because you can send all of the mixer channels to the computer. Just plug it in and (if your on a mac) the Audio MIDI setup recognizes it (acording to the manual I read today).

I do have an old Fostex VM200 which I use on remote recording and love the sound that it produces.
The Mackie Onyx was an early consideration, mostly because of its highly regarded pres, but I've cleared it as a choice because:

1.) The 1220 plus firewire option run around $950 (expensive for my needs)

2.) I've read some iffy things about its firewire D/A (intermittent pops and cracks, said to rate lower than my other choices)

3.) Apparently, it bypasses its Perkins EQ when outputting via firewire (not a deal-breaker, but given the price, it's a demerit since I don't intend use to it as a live mixer).

Thanks though. I appreciate any input.

<small>[ June 01, 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: chrispick ]</small>
plhowatt

Post by plhowatt »

Thanks for the bits on the Onyx, I need an interface and not necessarly another mixer but was prepared to pick up one to track the channels. I am looking for a device to record 20 or so tracks seperately to hard drive. In another post the MOTU 28i/o was suggested, which is expandable but I also found a FIREPOD with 8 Analog Mic/Line Inputs, 2 Instrument Inputs. I am waiting to here if it is scalable to. The price is right.
They also have a 2 channel firewire interface

http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html

-Paul-
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by plhowatt:
Thanks for the bits on the Onyx, I need an interface and not necessarly another mixer but was prepared to pick up one to track the channels. I am looking for a device to record 20 or so tracks seperately to hard drive. In another post the MOTU 28i/o was suggested, which is expandable but I also found a FIREPOD with 8 Analog Mic/Line Inputs, 2 Instrument Inputs. I am waiting to here if it is scalable to. The price is right.
They also have a 2 channel firewire interface

http://www.presonus.com/firepod.html

-Paul-
Yeah, I looked at the Firepod too. Looks like a nice unit.

The Tascam FW-1804 street prices around the same range as the Firepod. The Tascam, however, comes with a few elements that make it more appealing to me for home project studio use (more MIDI i/o, optical and coaxial SPDIF, word clock i/o).

In fact, I'm leaning toward getting it. I'd like to hear what people think of its mic pres first though. Most folks have said positive things about the 828mkII pres, but it's the more expensive choice of the two.

Anyone else? Tascam FW-1804 vs. MOTU 828mkII?
builder

Post by builder »

I have a 828mkII and I love it. The mic pre's are definitly useable and the CueMix is awesome in my opinion.

I use it as a mixer for band practice, my main studio on my G5, and as portable rig for my powerbook. If i need more inputs I can add on later.

Whats a 100$ when it comes down to audio recording..... You can barely buy a plug-in or get a 57 or 58

Good luck brother.....
Music - http://www.missingpalmerwest.com/Missin ... songs.html

Dual 2.0 G5 (Rev. A), 4.5 GB Ram, Powerbook 1.5 GHZ 1.5 GB Ram, (BLA) 828mkII, UAD-1 X2 , 10.4.8, DP 5.13, Sebatron VMP2000e, Sytek MPA, Many Mics
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by builder:
What's a 100$ when it comes down to audio recording?
Well, if the two units are highly comparable, then it's $100 (a few bucks more actually) I'm throwing away. If I opt for the 828mkII, then I want to know I getting a better device than the Tascam.

BTW: I've only found positive customer reviews of the Tascam via other web sources. And my sales guy recommends it. He says if I want to go MOTU, go Traveler because its pres are better than the 828mk11, but $900 street is more than I can afford (and I don't want to shop used for something like this).

Still, you Unicorners use a lot of 828mkIIs -- and it certainly seems to work well for you, Builder -- so I'm still interested in swaying opinions.

<small>[ June 01, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: chrispick ]</small>
builder

Post by builder »

Well there are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself.

Are the pre' s in the unit a huge priority for you.
For me, there not. I only used the mic pres in the 828 for practice. For recording, I use a Sebatron, a sytek, and a Tampa.

Tascam stuff has always seemed pretty decent to me with the execption of their MiniDisc recorders.

Without ever hearing a tascam I can only make a few comments

It uses a wall-wart power supply to cut costs. I would wonder about power to the pres

The phantom for all 4 pres are on the same switch. I personally can't stand it when the phantom power supply only can work on all the pres at the same time or none.

The extra MIDI is nice I must admitt

I think the CueMix is a big plus for the 828.

I would speculate that the pre's would be slightly better on the tascam though the converters on the motu would be slightly better than the tascam

Word em up......

Dual 2.0 G5 (Rev. A), 4.5 GB Ram, Powerbook 1.5 GHZ 1.5 GB Ram, (BLA) 828mkII, UAD-1 X2 , 10.4.8, DP 5.13, Sebatron VMP2000e, Sytek MPA, Many Mics
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Well there are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself.

Are the pre' s in the unit a huge priority for you.
For me, there not. I only used the mic pres in the 828 for practice. For recording, I use a Sebatron, a sytek, and a Tampa.

Tascam stuff has always seemed pretty decent to me with the execption of their MiniDisc recorders.

Without ever hearing a tascam I can only make a few comments

It uses a wall-wart power supply to cut costs. I would wonder about power to the pres

The phantom for all 4 pres are on the same switch. I personally can't stand it when the phantom power supply only can work on all the pres at the same time or none.

The extra MIDI is nice I must admitt

I think the CueMix is a big plus for the 828.

I would speculate that the pre's would be slightly better on the tascam though the converters on the motu would be slightly better than the tascam

Word em up......
Pres are not a deal-breaker issue for me, but I would like to get something moderately good. It may be a while before I can invest in a dedicated external preamp; it's something I want to do. In the interim, though, I'd like to have a firewire interface that can primarily track guitar and bass, both via lining-in and miking, with good results.

A wall wart's not an issue for me unless it creates undue electrical noise. Haven't read any complaints in that area though.

Curious: Why do you think CueMix is perhaps worth the extra cash? Will it offer much benefit to a single, track-at-a-time player like me (I don't record multiple players at once)?

Oh, and thanks for chiming in. If nothing else, it's forcing me to really think it through.
builder

Post by builder »

I don't know what kind of monitoring the Tascam offers but the zero latency monitoring in the 828 is great. I like the way the Cuemix is set up, you can route all the inputs in the 828 out to four separate busses. The Cue mix can also be controled via Mackie Control

Again, I use is as a mixer as well as an interface so it is extremely useful to me.

If you are only tracking one or two tracks at a time then either will work for you. I am not crazy about the look of the tascam either.

The 828mkii can be daisychained to another 828, traveller, or 896.

When I record drums, I use two condenser overheads and two dynamics on snare and bass, so a preamp that supplies all phatom power or no phatom power would not work for me.

I have also heard that if motu equipment breaks, they tend to fix it even if it is out of warranty.

I always try to buy things that can grow with studio. The 828 can be daisy chained or used as an ADAT out to an 2408.
There seems to be more expandability with the 828

I would rather get the tascam with the mixer built in...... Not to confuse you more...

Good Luck

chrispick

Post by chrispick »

I always try to buy things that can grow with studio. The 828 can be daisy chained or used as an ADAT out to an 2408. There seems to be more expandability with the 828.
That's something for me to consider, yeah. Thanks.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

I've heard that the M-audio DMP3 has better pres than the 828.
I have NOT heard it myself, just comment form other boards. But if pres are not a priority, its a MOOT point.
I thin the Onyx has a stereo only return limitation. doesn't the firepod have some driver problems? Crackling and such? something about the firewire protocall being hosed or some such.

sorry , not trying to be negative or anything.

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by Tonio:
I've heard that the M-audio DMP3 has better pres than the 828.
I have NOT heard it myself, just comment form other boards. But if pres are not a priority, its a MOOT point.
I thin the Onyx has a stereo only return limitation. doesn't the firepod have some driver problems? Crackling and such? something about the firewire protocall being hosed or some such.

sorry , not trying to be negative or anything.

T
I don't take your comments as being negative at all. Any input's helpful and appreciated.

It's interesting what you say about the M-Audio DMP3. It certainly doesn't look very robust, but looks can be deceiving, I suppose.

re: Mackie Onyx -- You list another reason why I've passed on it.

Anyway, I've decided to go with the Tascam FW 1804 and possibly pick up a Groove Tubes Brick as a front-end DI/preamp. Should suit my set-up.

BTW: The Tascam ships with Cubase LE which should supplant any CueMix need I might have.

Thanks all.

<small>[ June 03, 2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: chrispick ]</small>
Larry Sheehan

Post by Larry Sheehan »

User's reviews need to be taken with a large grain of salt...they tend to rave about what they own, despite having very limited basis of comparison.
Larry Sheehan
San Gabriel Sound
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by Larry Sheehan:
User's reviews need to be taken with a large grain of salt...they tend to rave about what they own, despite having very limited basis of comparison.
True. My hope, of course, was to cull as many opinions from users as possible, then filter through those with a not-very-limited basis of comparison.

I don't take reviews from users, magazines or vendors to be gospel, not by any stretch. I do think, however, that if some consensus arises among these factions, it gives my research some direction.

Speaking of which, what's your opinion, Larry? Bear in mind, Neve and API level gear is out of my range.