Micing a kick drum

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
andymcafee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Micing a kick drum

Post by andymcafee »

I am considering getting a kick drum mic or a couple of them. I am looking at either a Shure Beta 52 and a Beta 91 combination or an AKG D112. Any suggestions?
Henry Robinett

Re: Micing a kick drum

Post by Henry Robinett »

I'd also look at the ATM25. There's the Audix D6 a lot of people are partial to. The EV RE20 is a bit more expensive but really, really great and can be used for many other things as well.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

There are many options out there..... AKG D112, BETA52, etc.... Personally, I prefer the Audix D6 pictured here:

http://www.audioandmidi.com/images/drums3.jpg

BIG sound, of course a big part of your tone is the choice of pre and compression (and yes, the kick).
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
BradLyons

Post by BradLyons »

sorry, that picture didn't come out so good....
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
alterdigital

Post by alterdigital »

I've used a few, I love the Beta52. Cut around 150-250 HZ (depending on the kick) and boost the bottom, yowzer! Add a little 8k-12k and you've got a killer live as well as recording mic... actually gonna track some drums tomorrow w/it!
SithLord94

Post by SithLord94 »

I'd also give a huge thumbs up to the Audix D6. My drummer uses one, and his kick has never sounded better. Be careful how much you pay for it. Most online retailers like Sweetwater are gonna try to charge you $200. We paid $165 for ours from a Pro Audio retailer here in Dallas.

-jm
"You must unlearn what you have learned"
-Yoda
kennyd03

Post by kennyd03 »

You're not going to go wrong with the D112. It's the standard because it sounds great!

-KD03
donricejr

Post by donricejr »

Check out the demo session that comes with DP.
You get to hear a D112 and a Sennheiser e602.
There is no indication of the processing used or any added eq, but this demo sounds like these mics to me. The D112 seems a little brighter, more attack. The e602 seems to capture a nice thump like the D6. The Beta 52 has been my favorite for live work because it is the most forgiving with cheap or should I say poorly tuned drums. I have never found the need to add top end to this mic. If so, I would consider a better preamp or play with the placement.
inukshuk

Post by inukshuk »

I've got both the ATM-25 and AKG D112.
The D112 has a nicer tone, but you have to move it around more to get it's sweet spot and it's cardiod, while the ATM-25 is a hyper cardiod and it sounds good anywhere, plus less bleed because of it's pattern.
Rent a few models and test them out to see which one you like.
Not one kick is the same, so you may like one mic on this kick and another on a differant kick.

I've also used both together, one inside and the other outside in front close to the skin.

:)

<small>[ February 27, 2005, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: inukshuk ]</small>
Dual G4, 1.42GHZ, 2,048 ram, 3-74gb Raptors, 1-250gb Caviar, OS X Tiger 10.4.5, D.P. 4.61, HUI, Tannoy 600a's, UAD-1,Fairchild, Pultec-Pro, tc PowerCore firewire, Restoration Suite, MD3, VSS3, Inflator, Voice Modeler, Assimilator, Auto-Tune4, PowerCouple, PSP MasterQ, Vintage Warmer, MixPack, Blue Tubes Bundle, BFD, motu 896 HD.
http://www.inukshukproductions.ca/mastering
TurnDown
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by TurnDown »

I recently picked up a Beta52 after hearing it used on my bass drum at a club and I am in heaven. It respons very well to placement and can get me everything from the thump of death to a good, open Jazz sound. Check the Shure site for the response curves and you get the idea.

BTW, although it sounds great flat, I agree that a bit of a cut at 150-250hz and placement about 2-3" from the batter head gives you one hell of a thump!
John P
P4 2.6ghz
Intel D865
512MB RAM
Motu 828 mkII
Focusrite OctoPre
ART DI/O
Cubase SX1, SX2
denne
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by denne »

I've used the D112 for years and then switched to the Beta52. the D112 never saw a bassdrum again since.
calaveras

Post by calaveras »

I'd stay away from the AKG d112 for recording. It has a radically tweaked tone with a nasty midrange peak. It works great for death metal or 80's pop though! If you are looking for a natural sound I find it best to use a really robust condeser, like a cad E-100, or an AT 4030. You get a very present transparent sound. If you need more beef, maybe the shure 51/52? or the Beyer TGX50. I havent tried the D6 or the sennheiser. The ATM25 is decent but not very durable.

<small>[ April 28, 2005, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: calaveras grande ]</small>
828MkII w/BLA mod, Digi R1 control surface, Logic 8, Sonar 8.3PE , TC Powercore, Waldorf Edition, XP SP3, OS X Leopard, XILs, Stillwell Plugs
BradLyons

Post by BradLyons »

One thing I've learned from years of recording drums on a pro-level, the microphone is really the smallest part to do with the tone. It comes down to the pre and compressor. Personally, I use a Liquid Channel with an Audix D6 inside the kick and then a Royer R121 on the outside going through a Focusrite RED1. I'm using moderate compression on the LC and D6 with no compression on the Royer, later I'm using the Sony Oxford compression/gates. It really makes a huge difference in the tone with your front-end, that is obvious.....but even more so on kick drum and bass guitar, it makes all the difference in the world.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FWIW, the D112 is working well for my band, Pale Black, in a live context. Perhaps though someone can tell me about this new mic (?) I've been seeing used by major acts lately. I saw in being used by the Scorpions drummer on tour recently, as well as Judas Priest. It looks like a small diameter snare drum that is place up next to the outer head of the kick drum. Anybody know what that is?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SithLord94

Post by SithLord94 »

That's called the Yamaha SubKick. It's incredible! It sounds best when used in conjunction with another Kick mic (D6, RE-20, D112).

I had the privelege of working monitors for the most recent Drummer's for Jesus (www.drummersforjesus.com) conference here in Dallas, and the SubKick was used on several of the artist's kits. They really sound fabulous.

-jm
"You must unlearn what you have learned"
-Yoda