What reverbs do you like to use with DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What reverbs do you like to use with DP?

Post by twistedtom »

I have demoed a number of reverbs, I am not sure I have had enough time with them to know how to get the most out of them. Some of the ones I liked were MasterVerb, TrueVerb, and some of the lexicon verbs. I liked Trueverb a lot but not the price. I like Masterverb in DP8, I have a good collection of IR's and that makes it better than out of the box. What are the reverbs you like the most and why?
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Rusty Shackleford

Re: What reverbs do you like to use with DP?

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Valhalla Room is fantastic - very smooth, clean sound and only $50; competes with high quality verbs many times its cost. If you've been holding out on TrueVerb because of the price, it's on sale now for $39… http://www.waves.com/plugins/trueverb
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Alfred Zigoma

Post by Alfred Zigoma »

I very much like softube tsar-1 and reverb from exponential audio - r2 and phoenix
MacPro Quad-Core 2.8 GHZ 16GB RAM OSX 10.10, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.11, Mac Mini MD388 OSX 10.10
DP 8, SSL MADI AlphaLink MX, UA Apollo, SSL Sigma, PMC Tb2, ATC SCM 20, SSL Alpha VHD Pre, Kemper, Powercore x8, UAD Octo, MC Mix(х2), MC Control, Melodyne, Revoice Pro, RX4, Soundtoys, McDSP, Waves, all Slate, VSL VE Pro, SE, Suite, NI Kontakt 5, Halion 5, MachFive 3, BPM, etc...
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Another vote for Valhalla, very musical, great developer, pretty much all I use these days.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ozone 5 is my go-to.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I mainly use Lexicon PCM, but I like Altiverb on a lot of my film score stuff (and I bus everything, I don't use them as inserts, except as very special effect). It helps to have a decent arsenal of reverbs, because something that might sound fine as your "go-to hall reverb" might not flatter something that requires a little extra brightness, like horns or a backing choir, or tame something that's ordinarily too harsh, like a pop piano. I generally stick to two reverbs per song: a room reverb for guitars and drums and a hall reverb for everything else. Too many reverbs going at once really muddies up your sound field.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
midilance

Post by midilance »

112 dB Redline Reverb
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Lexicon PCM Bundle

Oh, uh, because it sounds fantastic and easy to dial.
DP10.13
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I use DP's ProVerb for most things. The included IRs are quite good, but I have a nice little collection of other IRs that I use with it. I don't work in surround, so that's sufficient for my needs.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Dan Worley wrote:Lexicon PCM Bundle

No surprise -- it's smoothest-sounding and most "realistic" algorithm plug I've ever heard. My only problem with it was that I find myself HPF'ing 200 Hz off the bottom to get rid of some of that low end and get it to sit in the mix better, and I'm beginning to wonder if that's too much ...
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I think it was Altiverb,s price I was thinking about, I liked the sound of Altiverb quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up on TrueVerb, I am going to get it.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Armageddon wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:Lexicon PCM Bundle

No surprise -- it's smoothest-sounding and most "realistic" algorithm plug I've ever heard. My only problem with it was that I find myself HPF'ing 200 Hz off the bottom to get rid of some of that low end and get it to sit in the mix better, and I'm beginning to wonder if that's too much ...
Yeah, you might want to try something a little more conservative. Of course, it all depends on what you're working on and the algorithm you're using.

DP10.13
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I got the Waves Trueverb, and down loaded the Valhallaroomverb demo. I put Trueverb, Valhallaverb, and MOTU Proverb on a vocal channel and compared a loop of vocals by bypassing to switch between the verbs. I was able to dial in similar reverbs and all had their strengths, Trueverb at $39 is a deal and I like it's sound. Valhallaroomverb has a very simple UI but that is cool, makes it easy to use, I like the sound of it, it made the vocals lush with out sounding like they were in a can. I think I am going to buy the Valhallaverb to add to my verbs, I am also downloading the demo for ValhallaVintageVerb A lot of people like it; thanks for the recommendation.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I put MOTU ProVerb, Valhalla's RoomVerb and VintageVerb, and Waves TrueVerb on a vocal track. I dialed in the same parameters as best as I could to compare the sound of each. I also tried a number of presets. Each has a slightly different sound, I can't say any one was so much better than the others. I don't know how to describe it but the VintageVerb was a bit creamer, somewhat darker. After I spend more time with them I will know more about how best to use them.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Dan Worley wrote:Yeah, you might want to try something a little more conservative. Of course, it all depends on what you're working on and the algorithm you're using.
I can't tell the exact settings you're using, but (and I had this discussion on another thread) I'm not using MW EQ, either -- just the low-rent 2-band ParaQ. I had no idea you could actually control the slope of a HPF with MW EQ. A lot of the stuff I ever read or people I talked to about Q-ing 'verb always said to use a 200 Hz HPF after a a reverb auxiliary, so I always assumed that's what you were "supposed to do". Of course, it depends a lot on the EQ, too. If you look at the HPF or LPF slope on a ParaQ, it appears to actually take out at least 20 more Hz either way (this goes for T-RackS's "Classic EQ" or LP EQ, also, as well as Waves's stock parametric EQ), and since I do a lot of HPF on all my tracks, I've wondered time and again if it was too much (I do seem to have a lot less lower midrange than I should). I'll definitely consider switching to MW EQ, or at least to one of my Waves's SSL Q's or something. Or at least attempting a lower setting on ParaQ.
twistedtom wrote:I got the Waves Trueverb, and down loaded the Valhallaroomverb demo. I put Trueverb, Valhallaverb, and MOTU Proverb on a vocal channel and compared a loop of vocals by bypassing to switch between the verbs. I was able to dial in similar reverbs and all had their strengths, Trueverb at $39 is a deal and I like it's sound. Valhallaroomverb has a very simple UI but that is cool, makes it easy to use, I like the sound of it, it made the vocals lush with out sounding like they were in a can. I think I am going to buy the Valhallaverb to add to my verbs, I am also downloading the demo for ValhallaVintageVerb A lot of people like it; thanks for the recommendation.
Trueverb is what I consider more of a "realistic space" reverb, great if you want to put your performance in a real-sounding studio or hall (and definitely more subtle than most). The algorithms almost sound like decent IRs. If you're going for more of a vintage "big reverb" sound, you'll want to demo their Renaissance Reverb, which does plates especially well.

Another one that never gets mentioned is DUY's Z-Room, which is great for special effects.