Nudge keystroke (left or right arrow) stop working. Why?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Nudge keystroke (left or right arrow) stop working. Why?

Post by Steve Steele »

I've searched for a change I may have made in OSX, perhaps with Mission Control or something else that could have interfered with the left and right arrow keys.

Can't find it with any Finder keystrokes. I re-set at the Finder keystrokes to default. DP nudge as a left or right arrow keystroke still doesn't work. Nudge up and down enable/disable record on that track instead of nudge up or down. Control-Command-Up or Down Arrow moves notes up and down just fine.

I'm sure it's simple but I can't find it. Is it another command using the ams keystroke (there are a couple but I thought that window had to be active for it to switch).

What am I doing wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Steve Steele

Re: Nudge keystroke (left or right arrow) stop working. Why?

Post by Steve Steele »

Anyone?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

When the snap-to grid is off, it nudges by a smaller amount. When the snap grid is on, it will snap by that note value.

You can open your COMMANDS window (in the Setup menu) and search for nudge. There are different nudge commands. You want the ones that are in the "More Edit" list. You can check to see if the arrows are assigned properly.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:When the snap-to grid is off, it nudges by a smaller amount. When the snap grid is on, it will snap by that note value.

You can open your COMMANDS window (in the Setup menu) and search for nudge. There are different nudge commands. You want the ones that are in the "More Edit" list. You can check to see if the arrows are assigned properly.
I'm, of course, aware of the former as I've used that for many years, and I checked the latter. Even reset and tried changing the keystroke to something unused and then back. It really seems like an OS thing, which I reset too, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking.

I've checked DP for other commands that use the left and right arrow but DP does not respond to that keystroke, at least in any window I've tried.

It was working fine until a few weeks ago. About the time I upgraded to Mavricks. But I think I would have heard about something related to that. I thought it might be something related to the mirrored displays feature.

Still looking. Thanks for the ideas.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Have you tried a restart?

Just a tip to help in your search: Go into Commands and type right or left arrow into an empty command. A list will pop up showing everywhere the command is used within DP.

I had the same problem not too long ago, but sadly I cannot remember the cause or how I fixed it. Sorry about that.
DP10.13
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Dan Worley wrote:Have you tried a restart?

Just a tip to help in your search: Go into Commands and type right or left arrow into an empty command. A list will pop up showing everywhere the command is used within DP.

I had the same problem not too long ago, but sadly I cannot remember the cause or how I fixed it. Sorry about that.
Thanks Dan. I tried that too. There were no commands that used just the arrow keys unmodified I believe. I'm going to go back and check. Maybe I'll trash some prefs.

I may have modified a keystroke somewhere and somehow forgot about it.

It has to be DP or the OS I would think. Don't think it could be another app, unless it's tied to the OS somehow.

Thanks.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Have you checked the setting for how far a nudge nudges? If you accidentally set it for milliseconds or samples, you could be nudging all day and not see it move at normal zoom levels. That would be in the menu at the top-right of the window, next to the check boxes for the edit grid, beat grid, and snap-to-marker.

You've probably already checked that, but I didn't see specifically THAT menu mentioned in your above posts, so I've got to mention it to be sure.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

What version of DP are you using? I had some problems with nudge not working in DP7.24 in the SE, but only once in a great while. Closing and re-opening the SE window would always fix it. I never did identify the source of the problem, nor was I able to reproduce it at will. It hasn't happened yet in 8.05.

Phil

Edit: Ahh, I see you've added a sig. Very odd that it doesn't show up in earlier posts. I thought when you changed your sig it was updated for all previous posts. Guess not. I'll have to complain to Doris.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Thanks everyone for chiming in. It was a prefs file issue. Trashed it. Fixed. I would have done that first as usual, but I really thought it was an OS conflict and I wanted to see if you guys had run across it.

As I said, I have special settings for Mission Control and about the time I installed Mavericks is when the problem occurred, so I had my pea brain set on that instead of trashing prefs first.

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

nightwatch wrote:Thanks everyone for chiming in. It was a prefs file issue. Trashed it. Fixed. ...
:headbang:
DP10.13
rickindies

Post by rickindies »

Steve Steele wrote:Thanks everyone for chiming in. It was a prefs file issue. Trashed it. Fixed. I would have done that first as usual, but I really thought it was an OS conflict and I wanted to see if you guys had run across it.

As I said, I have special settings for Mission Control and about the time I installed Mavericks is when the problem occurred, so I had my pea brain set on that instead of trashing prefs first.

Hi Steve,
which file did you trash to be specific? I'm having the same issue right now. Nudge left & right suddenly not working.

Cheers,
Rick
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

rickindies wrote:
Steve Steele wrote:Thanks everyone for chiming in. It was a prefs file issue. Trashed it. Fixed. I would have done that first as usual, but I really thought it was an OS conflict and I wanted to see if you guys had run across it.

Hi Steve,
which file did you trash to be specific? I'm having the same issue right now. Nudge left & right suddenly not working.

Cheers,
Rick
It’s been awhile since I dealt with this and off the top I can’t remember what fixed it. However I’ll look tomorrow when I’m in the studio.

In the meantime go to the Snap Imfornarion side bar window and see what Nudge is set to. Try either Measures, Beats or Snap to Grid. Test in the MIDI or Sequence window to see if the problem is persisting. If you’re in the Tracks Window and Snap Information is set to Ticks = 0 you won’t or you’ll hardly see anything move. The Snap Information window also contextually changes depending on which edit window is active. If you make a change in the Snap Information Window be sure to Set Focus to the window you want to nudge in. That may have tripped me up once.

Go to the Commands Window and type “nudge” in the search field. Make sure the left and right arrows are in Key 1, and that nothing else has overwritten your commands. You can reset commands by choosing Revert to Default Key Bindings. Make sure to export any custom command settings before you revert.

If that’s not the issue then please let me know and I should know by tomorrow what I did to fix it.

Hope that helps!

Steve

rickindies

Post by rickindies »

Steve Steele wrote:
rickindies wrote:

Hi Steve,

Cheers,
Rick
It’s been awhile since I dealt with this and off the top I can’t remember what fixed it. However I’ll look tomorrow when I’m in the studio.

In the meantime go to the Snap Imfornarion side bar window and see what Nudge is set to. Try either Measures, Beats or Snap to Grid. Test in the MIDI or Sequence window to see if the problem is persisting. If you’re in the Tracks Window and Snap Information is set to Ticks = 0 you won’t or you’ll hardly see anything move. The Snap Information window also contextually changes depending on which edit window is active. If you make a change in the Snap Information Window be sure to Set Focus to the window you want to nudge in. That may have tripped me up once.

Go to the Commands Window and type “nudge” in the search field. Make sure the left and right arrows are in Key 1, and that nothing else has overwritten your commands. You can reset commands by choosing Revert to Default Key Bindings. Make sure to export any custom command settings before you revert.

If that’s not the issue then please let me know and I should know by tomorrow what I did to fix it.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Hi Steve,
I tried all it still doesn't work. All the nudge dont work neither in track window, sequence editor & MIDI editor.

Would really appreciate if you could find the mystery trashed file when you are back in studio, Steve!

Thanks

Rick