Time-scaling bug in 8.05: Is this an old one?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Time-scaling bug in 8.05: Is this an old one?

Post by ghobish »

I'm having an issue where I'm trying to match up files recorded with unlocked clocks using the Scale Time function to modify the files recorded on (what I believe to be) the incorrect clock.

I need to scale files with a length of 209756183 samples to fit a length of 206883273 samples.

Using the Scale Time function, the file (during processing) at first conforms to the proper length, but after the processing & waveform redraw the file gets drastically shortened, to various inconsistent degrees depending on the original file (all original files are the same length to start off with).

Time scaling using the "hand" tool in the Sequence Editor gives the same result.

I found this old thread http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... e+#p457571 from 2009 describing the same issue going back to DP5-

I find it hard to believe this hasn't been fixed, am I missing something? Kind of makes time scaling sort of … useless.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Re: Time-scaling bug in 8.05: Is this an old one?

Post by mikehalloran »

I think I'd be sending that into Tech for an answer. I've used Time scaling on rare occasions and it works for me but I've never tried to match sample lengths the way you are attempting to do.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

mikehalloran wrote:I think I'd be sending that into Tech for an answer. I've used Time scaling on rare occasions and it works for me but I've never tried to match sample lengths the way you are attempting to do.

Sent one in yesterday, they've already responded (what a change from a few years ago!) and I'll be sending them some samples. My guess at the moment is that it will turn out to be an issue with files over a certain size or length- I've done shorter ones before with no problem.

I could also test using time as the metric and see if that changes anything.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Time scaling on a small percentage in DP is "OK" but it is not a strong point of the program. In such instances I currently defer to MachFive 3, which does an exception job at altering speed without noticeable artifacts.

I haven't seen the issue you;re talking about. If you email me a sample file I'll be happy to try it on my machine. You know where to find me. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Motu has some great demo videos on line. I never realized all that MachFive3 does.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Time scaling on a small percentage in DP is "OK" but it is not a strong point of the program. In such instances I currently defer to MachFive 3, which does an exception job at altering speed without noticeable artifacts.
I never considered Mach 5 because, as you know, I don't "do MIDI.." don't have much use for a VI. Surprises me that Mach 5 would have modifying audio files in it's feature set.

I do have Izotope Rx3 Advanced which does an excellent job- but has the shortcoming of a small number of least significant digits in it's stretching capabilities, e.g., it will do 98.6% but not 98.603347%.

The immediate session problem turns out not to have been a clock issue, by the way- I actually found 2 breaks of 30 secs each in the client's video feed!
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Only since adding the IRCAM stuff has it been useful in that way.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

[quote

I do have Izotope Rx3 Advanced which does an excellent job- but has the shortcoming of a small number of least significant digits in it's stretching capabilities, e.g., it will do 98.6% but not 98.603347%.
[/quote]

I thought the same thing until I went to gearslutz to find a solution. Although Rx doesn't show all the numbers you'd like to enter, enter them anyway. It works.
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna