Soundbite GUI weirdness!!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tesionman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Soundbite GUI weirdness!!!

Post by Tesionman »

Sometimes this happens. Not often but once in a while. Weird.. Although the audio plays fine.
Anybody know why this happens? Is it a bug?

cheers

PS - DP 8.05 on OSX 10.8.5
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Sean Kenny

Re: Soundbite GUI weirdness!!!

Post by Sean Kenny »

Tesionman wrote:Sometimes this happens. Not often but once in a while. Weird.. Although the audio plays fine.
Anybody know why this happens? Is it a bug?

cheers

PS - DP 8.05 on OSX 10.8.5
I'm sure you probably already know this, but that view displayed in your screenshot is when the computer is still analysing the audio in the background for the purposes of visual display of the waveform as seen in the soundbites that appear normal.

DP places priority on recording and playing back of audio first which is why you can play the audio. If you hit shift and R, it will open up the background processing window, and if everything is normal then the tasks remaining to be completed in the tasks overview window will correspond with the soundbites there are appearing abnormally in your window.

It may be that you have inadvertently performed a task such as consolidating audio, possibly by hitting a combination of hotkeys. For example if you inadvertently hit shift, alt and M, any soundbites selected, will automatically be consolidated; i.e. DP will create new files from the files that are selected. In this instance it would do exactly as displayed in your picture; it would perform background analysis to create an overview of the waveform and whilst doing so would display the soundbites as shown in your picture.

Also, if everything is normal then one by one the odd looking soundbites will revert to the normal appearance as DP works through the background tasks

If this isn't the case, then it may be that it is a bug

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Thanks for the reply Sean.

But nope.. it stays like that. No background processing(already checked before posting this problem). I didn't merge anything.
But it plays fine. Its only graphical. so must be a bug of some sort.

cheers

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

You can force DP to re-analyze the waveforms by trashing the analysis files. It won't hurt anything. You'll just have to wait for DP to do it's thing. You can also try simply quitting and relaunching DP. Sometimes that triggers analysis. I don't know why, but every once in a while DP doesn't finish the analysis tasks and needs a little nudge.

Phil
Last edited by Phil O on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Phil O wrote:You can force DP to re-analyze the waveforms by trashing the analysis files. It won't hurt anything. You'll just have to wait for DP to do it's thing. You can't also try simply quitting and relaunching DP. Sometimes that triggers analysis. I don't know why, but every once in a while DP doesn't finish the analysis tasks and needs a little nudge.

Phil
Thanks Phil. I merged the files and it resolved the situation! But its not the first time this happens.

cheers

zaratero

Post by zaratero »

I´ve had this happened more than once too. In different versions. I usually save as copying media to a new folder, then it rebuilds waveforms and the problem doesn´t repeat.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24