loose consolidated windows

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
guitron45
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by guitron45 »

Old dog here, I'd like to get back to my work methods from DP 5. I do not see a way to do that in prefs for consolidated windows. I opened the area in prefs and got a window with some window names selected, they were highlighted. I unselected those windows... no I don't know which ones.... and thought that might do it. It did not so I'm missing something. Please help. BTW I know about dragging them out of their little corporate nest. But it doesn't seem to work today. And there has to be a more reasonable way to do this.

THere was a black space after the window name where I could grab it and drag it to freedom but today it doesn't seem to be there. Besides if you unselect every window name in the window where you choose which windows to open consolidated. None should open consolidated. That is not happening. DP has always been a very flexible place to work. It's one of it's best features. I don't see a way in prefs, to disable this feature. Hope someone can help. Thanks for listening.

Ron
DP 8.3 Mac pro 8gig ram Mt. Lion.
MacPro Nehalem quad core, 2.66gHz, 8gb DDR1066 ram, OS 10.85, DP 8.05 1224/MTPAV, UAD 2 card, Kontakt 3/B4 II, CAD VX2 tube mic, 2 Avalon 737SP, Tascam M2516 8 buss recording mixer, Lexicon PCM91, Eastman 910, Eastman El Rey2 Fender Blues Deluxe, Handbuilt 30 watt Fender Princeton kit w/Weber Cermic 12", 64 Jazz bass I got new. and a 30hp orange diesel tractor!! 4wd 2 speed axel, named kioti.
Phil O

Re: loose consolidated windows

Post by Phil O »

If I'm reading you right, you want to turn off consolidated windows completely. Is that correct? If so, go to DP Preferences>Consolidated Windows and un-check Enable Consolidated Editing. I'm assuming that check box is still there in DP8, but I could be mistaken. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Suggestion. Enable Consolidated Windows, but remove from the list a few windows that you can use full-screen in other Apple Spaces. I specifically use Mixing Board and MIDI Graphic Editor in their own spaces, full-page/full-screen at all times. When I open a project, it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to move those windows to their own spaces, and the Consolidated Windows loads in space 1, while the Control Panel floats to all spaces. The answers you need are all to be found in Mission Control, a pref in the Apple System Prefs, and the Digital Performer prefs.

You can also save them as DP window sets.

SHooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Phil & Shoosh (and maybe Magic Dave);
I'm setting up DP 8.04 on my Mac laptop for sketching on the road and am finding that the "Enable Consolidated WIndow" checkbox is no longer there?? Did it go away?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I would like to know if I can no longer disable the Consolidated Window. I always leave it off.

I'm still going to update to DP8 one of these days, but would like to know if that is a factor. Sounds like there are ample workarounds. I'll just need to spend a day or two retraining myself.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

williemyers wrote:Phil & Shoosh (and maybe Magic Dave);
I'm setting up DP 8.04 on my Mac laptop for sketching on the road and am finding that the "Enable Consolidated WIndow" checkbox is no longer there?? Did it go away?
stubbsonic wrote:I would like to know if I can no longer disable the Consolidated Window. I always leave it off.

I'm still going to update to DP8 one of these days, but would like to know if that is a factor. Sounds like there are ample workarounds. I'll just need to spend a day or two retraining myself.
There is no on/off button for CW. But if you don't select any windows to be included in CW, then you won't have CW, except that you can pop a window into CW at any time.

I can't remember now, but I do think you have to do some fiddling about to get rid of the window tabs, but it is doable and easy.

In the image below, no windows are selected for CW.

DP10.13
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I wish they would bring back the on/off switch.
If I double click a soundbite for editing, it opens in a consolidated window, even though I have none of the list items checked in preferences.
All is well
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Someone give that man a screwdriver to tighten up that loose consolidated window! He might lose it!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I hated CW until I started using it full screen in ML. Now I can live w/o it. Popping any window out or in is simply a keystroke (crl-1) and you can still float any window you want, even to your second monitor in full screen mode. Key commands to access specific windows still works as do screen sets.

What I LIKE about the CW is the predictability of where my eyes need to look for every window I use and in scoring to picture, having the small movie window (re sizable) in the corner but still movable with crl-1 to fill the second monitor when I want to see the big picture, so to speak.

I'm not trying to convert anyone. Just sayin' that the CW can be a game changer in a good way and it's worth looking at in DP8. Or we can let sleeping "old dogs" lie. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waterstrum wrote:I wish they would bring back the on/off switch.
If I double click a soundbite for editing, it opens in a consolidated window, even though I have none of the list items checked in preferences.
Where are you double clicking the soundbite? If I deselect the SE and Waveform editors in CW prefs, double clicking in the soundbite window opens a standalone waveform editor and double clicking in the TO opens a standalone sequence editor.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

I'm still not sure how to hide the menus tabs in consolidated windows (DP9.5.2). I want to keep consolidated windows but want to hide some of the tabs above the body. Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks,
TnMike
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Can't be done. If you don't want tabs, set up a bunch of independent windows and navigate between them with Screensets.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
TnMike

Post by TnMike »

Thanks...
I thought that might be possible, you know, like in Google Chrome, etc. to choose your tabs...
Thanks for the quick response...
TnMike
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
seedylee
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by seedylee »

Consolidated windows are half the reason I feel in love with DP! I appreciate the fact you can selectively turn them off too.

Window management in Cubase on the other hand - that was enough to turn me off computer-based music for life...
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Dan Worley wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:17 am
williemyers wrote:Phil & Shoosh (and maybe Magic Dave);
stubbsonic wrote:I would like to know if I can no longer disable the Consolidated Window. I always leave it off.

There is no on/off button for CW. But if you don't select any windows to be included in CW, then you won't have CW, except that you can pop a window into CW at any time.

I can't remember now, but I do think you have to do some fiddling about to get rid of the window tabs, but it is doable and easy.

In the image below, no windows are selected for CW.

THANK YOU! (Nine years later.)

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)