Can the velocity of a note you click on in the sequence...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can the velocity of a note you click on in the sequence...

Post by zandurian »

Can the velocity of a note you click on in the sequence editor trigger at the velocity of the track playback output (when the playback output is being modified by the velocity plug) instead of the actual velocity of the note?
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Prime Mover

Re: Can the velocity of a note you click on in the sequence.

Post by Prime Mover »

You mean it doesn't? I would expect it to go through the inserts just like everything else. Then again, I've never really used MIDI inserts, and maybe they work differently. MIDI can be a strange disease sometimes.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

zandurian wrote:Can the velocity of a note you click on in the sequence editor trigger at the velocity of the track playback output (when the playback output is being modified by the velocity plug) instead of the actual velocity of the note?
Can you explain that better? I don't have time to figure out what you're saying. I think the answer is yes, but I don't know for sure, because I am not sure what you're actually doing.

wait… I think I just figured it out.

You want to click on a note and hear it at the volume that it will sound in the final arrangement. Is that right? The way to do that, I think, would be to make the default output for things you click on to be the final submaster or master track. Do that by moving that track to the top of the outputs list, and/or the top of the bus list in the Bundles page. Not sure how far that goes, whether it goes beyond mere outputs or busses, but try putting them all at the top of the list and see if that changes it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

When I record MIDI drums off my Roland V drum pads I compress and turn down the the playback velocity (via the live "change velocity" MIDI plug) as my Superior drummer sets work better for me that way. The output reflects the plug's effects even triggering live through the channel BUT if I go in and click a note in the sequence editor to trigger it it ignores the plugs. For instance a MIDI vel of 127 will ignore the plug and sound full tilt.
Shooshie wrote:
zandurian wrote:Can the velocity of a note you click on in the sequence editor trigger at the velocity of the track playback output (when the playback output is being modified by the velocity plug) instead of the actual velocity of the note?
Can you explain that better? I don't have time to figure out what you're saying. I think the answer is yes, but I don't know for sure, because I am not sure what you're actually doing.

wait… I think I just figured it out.

You want to click on a note and hear it at the volume that it will sound in the final arrangement. Is that right? The way to do that, I think, would be to make the default output for things you click on to be the final submaster or master track. Do that by moving that track to the top of the outputs list, and/or the top of the bus list in the Bundles page. Not sure how far that goes, whether it goes beyond mere outputs or busses, but try putting them all at the top of the list and see if that changes it.

Shooshie
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I see. What you want is to click on a note in the MIDI edit window and hear through the MIDI plugin. If your note has a velocity of 127, and your Change Velocity plugin is compressing that to 64, you should be able to click on the note and hear it at 64. Right?

Except that it doesn't work that way. I honestly don't remember if it used to work that way or not. I thought it did. It could be that this is one of those details that got left out when they changed the app to a Cocoa-based environment. That's very possible. Or maybe it never worked. But I'm pretty sure it did, because I use MIDI plugins a lot for velocity and for transpose, and if I clicked on a note that didn't transpose properly, I'd be kinda upset.

I just checked it, and transposition also doesn't work. So, whoever programmed it left out MIDI plugins when you click on a note in an edit window. That's unfortunate. Maybe we can point that out to MOTU and see if they would be willing to fix it.

Or maybe it never worked that way. I just think I'd remember that one if it never worked. In any case, it doesn't work that way now. We're out of luck until they fix it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

I don't think transpose ever worked that way either. I remember always having to print the effect or it would drive me nuts when the clicked note didn't match to the key the song was playing in.

With the velocity thing - the Superior drummer snare about takes your head off at 127 so when I forget and click the note to adjust velocity - BAM!!! (owww!)
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

On a similar note, when scrubbing in the MIDI graphic editor, it would be nice if the MIDI scrub was post MIDI (insert) plug-ins.

The bug that causes adjacent notes of the same pitch and with quantized releases to not play back correctly (plays a very short note) forces the workaround of subtracting 1 tick from durations (either via plugin or region edit). If using the former, scrubbing also doesn't play back correctly.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That's so bizarre that I can't remember it working that way long ago. But I do remember having to explain to clients about some of DP's little idiosyncrasies. That was probably one of them, and I just explained not to worry, but to trust that it would come out right when we played it back.

Still, I think it's something that either should work the "right" way, or else there should be a preference setting for it. I can see why someone might want to leave it unprocessed for clicking, but that seems more of a special case scenario. Most people, IMO, would want to hear it in context of the final outcome.

That's one for the MOTU suggestion box, if it's still there.

Shooshie