Miley Cyrus, Wrecking Ball video

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Miley Cyrus, Wreaking Ball video

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Beats the holy living crap out of "you can have free drinks at the bar!"
Shoosh, you've got that right! That was another life. Another time. I don't know why any of us caved to that BS. Young and foolish. :?

PLO
Oh, that's back when we're still purists and don't want to prostitute our "art." Back before I knew that I had already traded in my ability to listen to music sheerly for enjoyment, and that now I listen to bass lines while noting interesting chord changes, drum fills, and lastly… oh yeah… that little melody line on top. Lyrics? There are five lyrics: A, E, I, O, and U, and each vocalist usually does one or two of them very well. Hell, if I'm gonna be doing that all my life (and I can't help but do it), then there better be some zeroes on my checks!

$hoo$hie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:
SixStringGeek wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:I think everyone here that "slams" Miley, would take a gig with her in a heartbeat.
Nope. Can't be bothered. Not all that fond of money I guess.

And she really really really really needs to put that tongue back in her mouth. Every photo I've seen of her for the last week has that thing out in the breeze. Its not sexy. Its not attractive. Its not even a statement. Its just nasty.
That’ “nope” you write looks so good on paper. Along with the quip about not liking money.
Well, that means you don’t like nice houses, gourmet food and restaurants, equipment, vacations, cars, lifestyle, the ability to produce your own music and pay for musicians, orchestras or whatever is needed, no holds barred etc......yeah right. Money “sucks”.
Easy to say until you see the check with all the zeros on it.
It may come as a shock to you, TDH, but some people don't have a need or fixation on material luxuries at the expense of their principles or self-respect. I'm sure you'd see that as silly.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:The Beatles' haircuts weren't screaming "look at me!"
Well, for a few months, they did. The haircuts were a big deal. They shook their heads to emphasize it. If you wanted to get looked at, copying the hair, not the music, was the best way.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: 1) The young decide what THEY want to hear. The older people have way less say on the pop charts and it has ALWAYS been the case that the previous generation looks at the next wave of music with distain, feeling the musical world is ending.
Don't buy that for a second.
Right. Just listen to Eric Burden's take on Bo Diddley.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: 1) The young decide what THEY want to hear. The older people have way less say on the pop charts and it has ALWAYS been the case that the previous generation looks at the next wave of music with distain, feeling the musical world is ending.
Don't buy that for a second.
Right. Just listen to Eric Burden's take on Bo Diddley.
Don't leave his part out.
The young don't decide what they want to hear by listening to whatever pop icon is out there any more than people eat at McDonalds because it's good food.
My point is clear. Miley and the rest of the cultivated pack of industry Barbie and Ken dolls, Justin Timberlake, Spears, and the little spawning grounds for those people like Backstreet Boys, Disney channel kids shows, and the like are not an example of kids liking a new "sound". Rap, Metal, Punk, and even Dubstep are examples of your point, but it's not that simple. I'm talking about the difference between the Monkeys and the Beattles (not the Beattles and the 'new sound' of Depache Mode for an example), and how we live in an age when the Monkeys are out selling the Beattles every time.
The industry has turned music into a McDonalds outlet, and that isn't a matter of youth deciding but executives our age and older throwing money towards these 'projects'. The only redeeming factor is that hopefully people will get bored of fast food for a little while. I hope the kids do something. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

bayswater wrote:Just listen to Eric Burden's take on Bo Diddley.
Are you talking about what he did with The Animals, or something later?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Michael Canavan wrote:I hope the kids do something. :headbang:
I thought the Beatles did Something.

Sorry :surrender:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:
bayswater wrote:Just listen to Eric Burden's take on Bo Diddley.
Are you talking about what he did with The Animals, or something later?
Yes, Animals. One of the earlier albums.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Michael Canavan wrote: My point is clear. Miley and the rest of the cultivated pack of industry Barbie and Ken dolls, Justin Timberlake, Spears, and the little spawning grounds for those people like Backstreet Boys, Disney channel kids shows, and the like are not an example of kids liking a new "sound". Rap, Metal, Punk, and even Dubstep are examples of your point, but it's not that simple. I'm talking about the difference between the Monkeys and the Beattles (not the Beattles and the 'new sound' of Depache Mode for an example), and how we live in an age when the Monkeys are out selling the Beattles every time.
The industry has turned music into a McDonalds outlet, and that isn't a matter of youth deciding but executives our age and older throwing money towards these 'projects'. The only redeeming factor is that hopefully people will get bored of fast food for a little while. I hope the kids do something. :headbang:

Justin Timberlake imoho is the real deal, quite a voice,talent and showman,his band performing live is as good as any bands out there in the Pop/R&B world.
He might have started out as marketing creation but he is someone you probably need to hear NOW to appreciate how talented he really is.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

You know, in a few days this two-week old thread on a subject nobody claims to care about will have as many posts as the Bitching and Moaning thread, which is about four years old. I've filed that under "things that make ya go 'hmmmm.'"

I'd work with Miley Cyrus in a heartbeat, although I'd prefer to work with Britney (I do have a singer coming in today who doesn't look anything like Ms. Spears but is her equal in undiluted hotness). Which is only to say that I wish I had the skills that pay the bills and could spin straw into gold.

And yeah, JT is fer realz, yo. He can hang with anybody.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Agreed on Timberlake. I like him. Talented, but more importantly I suspect he had some good parenting along the way. He seems very well grounded, self-effacing and a good sport (SNL appearances) and avoided the pitfalls of Justin Bieber for example.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well this is interesting I think. Miley mentioned that she was influenced by Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to You" video. Sinead posted a rather frank open letter to Miley on her blog expressing sincere concern for the way her career is being directed.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/o ... iley-cyrus

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

toodamnhip wrote: That’ “nope” you write looks so good on paper. Along with the quip about not liking money.
Well, that means you don’t like nice houses, gourmet food and restaurants, equipment, vacations, cars, lifestyle, the ability to produce your own music and pay for musicians, orchestras or whatever is needed, no holds barred etc......yeah right. Money “sucks”.
Easy to say until you see the check with all the zeros on it.
James Steele wrote:It may come as a shock to you, TDH, but some people don't have a need or fixation on material luxuries at the expense of their principles or self-respect. I'm sure you'd see that as silly.
I am not here for "extremes". It is EXTREME to say one has NO need for money, so I pointed out the usefulness of $. That does not mean I subscribe to the OTHER extreme of money worship. Consider me in the middle. I make money, but I also play heavy, totally artistic Jazz. I don't lose artistic integrity at all times. I do both. I make money part of the time, I do artful things other parts of the time. It's a matter of balance. But to say that a check coming in from Miley Cyrus is something people here would turn down, to me, is extreme. You take the check, and then, etch out free time and use the check for your artistic endeavors..at least that's how I see it. As far as self respect and principal, well, I don't see being behind the scenes making a top artists music being equal to her sticking her tongue out or being naked. The folks making her tracks are respected as top notch producers and musicians. I doubt they are thought of as whores. It is GOOD to have Miley on one's resume'.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Miley Cyrus, Wreaking Ball video

Post by James Steele »

First of all I'm out and don't have time to respond yet, because you're misinterpreting my comments. In the meantime, please fix your quoting, because at least on Tapatalk you have one improperly attributed quote. Thanks.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

P.S. I make the distinction between taking a check for production work behind the scenes and actually being the artist who's intentionally acting "certifiable" in public to generate press.