New 4Pre - no audio in Garageband

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Big Red
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New 4Pre - no audio in Garageband

Post by Big Red »

I suggested that my father get a 4pre for some basic recording in Garageband. He's using 10.7 and a MacBook Pro Core Duo. My problem is that I'm 1200 miles away and I'm having a hard time helping him get it set up. We did a screen share and I can get the device to work to a point:
Audio MIDI sees the 4Pre;
CueMix sees the 4Pre and registers audio coming in through one of the inputs;
CueMix shows this input in both the channel strip and the output channel;
Garageband sees the 4Pre - I can select all of its inputs and outputs;
But here's the problem - there is no audio coming through:
I arm track one, assign its input to Input 1 from the 4Pre, hit record and I get nothing. Dad is talking into the mic the whole time, but we're getting nothing inside Garageband.

I tried selecting the 4Pre in the preferences of Garageband and I tried setting it to the default input and output in Audio MIDI Setup, then setting Garageband to just follow the system settings. Nothing changed.
We installed the drivers. This basic setup was working just fine for recording with an 896HD that he borrowed a few months back, so I don't know if I'm missing something basic or if there's something else going on.

I'd appreciate any help - my dad is not too tech savvy and it's hard to troubleshoot from so far away.
Big Red

Re: New 4Pre - no audio in Garageband

Post by Big Red »

Update:
I was able to get some audio through channel 3 into garageband, but I had to boost the trim up all the way and even with him practically yelling into the mic we only got moderate volume levels.

Any ideas why the levels would be so low? We've tried several different mics, different cables, etc.
Agent of Random
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Agent of Random »

It would probably be better to contact MOTU's support about this directly..
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

Probably a good idea. Thanks.