Multi Band Compressors

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
fai31188
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multi Band Compressors

Post by fai31188 »

What do you use them for.

I've found that a MB Compressor on the master fader helps to greatly manage the various frequency ranges. I've used Ozone 3's compressor, and love the way it controls the bands. I find it to be much more intuitive than EQ and actually perhaps more precise for the material I record which is mostly instrumental fusion. In other words, I go to the compressor before the EQ to set the level of the different bands. Am I alone, or does this make sense?

What other uses do you put these multi band compressors to???

aL
DP 9, Macbook Pro, Big Sur, Motu M2, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer, Trilian.
WKWizard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Multi Band Compressors

Post by WKWizard »

I use a Waves C4 on the master buss and sometimes on the overheads and/or room mics if I'm using large diaphram condensers. Once in awhile I'll use one on bass guitar depending on the mic/setup.

I've noticed that I'm reaching for the PSP Vintage Warmer a little more and the C4 a little less these days.
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Multi Band Compressors

Post by chrispick »

WaveArts has their MultiDynamic plug which is less CPU-intensive than Ozone3. You might find it useful, if you're a fan of multiband comps.

I use the Ozone3 multiband comps when mastering my tracks, but in subtler degrees the more I work with it.

I think the conventional wisdom is to use EQ to adjust individual tracks -- and typically that's what I do, using MWEQ, usually with wide Qs -- but I do use comps to add color and harmonics to give them some texture and punch. Usually, I use PSP VintageWarmer (often as an aux bus) and PSP MixPack (as inserts) for this.