dumb monitoring question

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
JES
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

dumb monitoring question

Post by JES »

Hi All,

Here is an extremely dumb 1402VLZ question, but I can't figure it out.

My Sampson monitor control thingy just died, so I've gone back to using my mackie 1402vlz to monitor 2 channels of sound coming out of my computer-based DAW. I'd like to know how to set it up so that I can press a single button and mute my monitors (powered) while still being able to hear signal through headphones. Extra bonus if there's a way to control the two volumes independently of one another. I'm sure there's an obvious way to do it, but I haven't figured it out.

Thanks.

--JES
RobTalbert
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: dumb monitoring question

Post by RobTalbert »

I haven't used a Mackie mixer for a few years and don't have one in front of me...but this might work:

Assign the 2 channels that you want to monitor to ALT 3-4 by pushing the mute button on each of the 2 channel strips. Then in the Source Matrix, engage ALT 3-4 and you should be able to hear the signals through the phones. Press the ASSIGN TO MAIN MIX button and the signals on ALT 3-4 will also go into the main mix. (Presumably these are wired to your monitors.)

I hope this works for you.
iMac M1 with 16 GB RAM, OS X 12, DP 11, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Waves Plugins, Melodyne, Kontakt, BLUE Kiwi and Neuman Mics & BLUE Robbie Pre; Martin D18, Martin OM25, Cordoba, & PRS CE24 Guitars.
JES
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: dumb monitoring question

Post by JES »

Thanks Robert, I'll give it a try.

--JES