WOW! DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: WOW! DP8

Post by monkey man »

Gravity Jim wrote:BTW... I just pitched the boxes and manuals from my first copies of DP this week... so recently they're still in the big bin in the garage. Also, the huge black box that contained my first Waves Gold bundle, a bunch of old Mac OS discs (System 7, anyone?), a now-useless copy of Pluggo, the box for AutoTune, blah blah blah.
Perhaps that's my cue to ditch the quaint little Pluggo box for my now-useless copy on this end too, GJ. :?

Back in 1999 I switched from ATARI and CueBalls to DP and all things MOTU. I stood opposite the salesman, the Logic box in his hands and the dough in mine, and at that moment a voice from deep within suggested I forego the bells-and-whisltes attraction of Logic and choose instead that pro-looking, reassuringly-elegant and sturdy app I'd seen several years earlier at the only audio trade show I'd ever been to.

To this day, it's been MOTU software and audio and MIDI hardware all the way, and I've no intention of ever switching allegiances to anyone else. I love the company as much as anything else; the way they conduct themselves has always impressed me no end, and I'm a tough marker.
Radiogal wrote:
monkey man wrote:Hey 'Nandito, glad to see you man!

I'd give EAP-Entertainment the benefit of the doubt, FWIW, 'cause RadioGal put that one to bed last year with the comparison she set up. There was contention, as one would expect, but the overwhelming verdict was compelling IMHO, and the test group wasn't a "low-level", plucked-off-the-street sort of gathering; those folks were all audio pros from, IIRC, the country's AE society or something, and further to that, they weren't DP users.

EAP-Entertainment, welcome to the "decentest" clan on the web, mate! Your bandwidth and time will not be wasted here. :D

Yep, here is the link. I managed to restore the photo link. :)
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 35#p407735
Wow! Nice one, Trish. Thank you for that. I must be a lousy searcher 'cause I couldn't for the life of me find the thread; it was quite frustrating!

Your effort is an all-time DP highlight for me. Yay!

EDIT 1: The contention I alluded to, for those who didn't get to follow it at the time, was on BeerGuts, but I don't remember its being too bad - mostly deconstructions of the methodology / process' efficacy IIRC.

EDIT 2: I Finally figured out how to space quote responses properly. Posts made since my return a week go will be corrected. Sorry for the distraction.
Last edited by monkey man on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:There's a manual?
Yeah... and also a PDF! (Which I don't use, but at least MOTU has removed another objection.)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

monkey man wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:BTW... I just pitched the boxes and manuals from my first copies of DP this week... so recently they're still in the big bin in the garage. Also, the huge black box that contained my first Waves Gold bundle, a bunch of old Mac OS discs (System 7, anyone?), a now-useless copy of Pluggo, the box for AutoTune, blah blah blah.
Perhaps that's my cue to ditch the quaint little Pluggo box for my now-useless copy on this end too, GJ. :?

Back in 1999 I switched from ATARI and CueBalls to DP and all things MOTU. I stood opposite the salesman, the Logic box in his hands and the dough in mine, and at that moment a voice from deep within suggested I forego the bells-and-whisltes attraction of Logic and choose instead that pro-looking, reassuringly-elegant and sturdy app I'd seen several years earlier at the only audio trade show I'd ever been to.

To this day, it's been MOTU software and audio and MIDI hardware all the way, and I've no intention of ever switching allegiances to anyone else. I love the company as much as anything else; the way they conduct themselves has always impressed me no end, and I'm a tough marker.

Radiogal wrote:

I'd give EAP-Entertainment the benefit of the doubt, FWIW, 'cause RadioGal put that one to bed last year with the comparison she set up. There was contention, as one would expect, but the overwhelming verdict was compelling IMHO, and the test group wasn't a "low-level", plucked-off-the-street sort of gathering; those folks were all audio pros from, IIRC, the country's AE society or something, and further to that, they weren't DP users.

EAP-Entertainment, welcome to the "decentest" clan on the web, mate! Your bandwidth and time will not be wasted here. :D

Wow! Nice one, Trish. Thank you for that. I must be a lousy searcher 'cause I couldn't for the life of me find the thread; it was quite frustrating!

Your effort is an all-time DP highlight for me. Yay!

EDIT: The contention I alluded to, for those who didn't get to follow it at the time, was on BeerGuts, but I don't remember its being too bad - mostly deconstructions of the methodology / process' efficacy IIRC.

Just Google " 5 DAW 5 MBP" and it will pop up! :) That´s how I usually find it, every time :)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you Trish; it goes without sayin' that I could use all the help I can get. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
EAP-Entertainment

Post by EAP-Entertainment »

Radiogal wrote:

Hello RadioGal, thanks for this wonderful info..!!
IMac-i7(2012), MBP 2012, Cubase 5, 6.5 & 7, Protools 9 & 10, Korg Kronos 61 & 73keys, Motif XS-rack, Drums, Bass, Fender Strat, Waves & Sonnox Plugs,
Yamaha UR824(BLA Mod), Yamaha MR816csx, Focusrite OctoPre Mk II, Motu 828mk3, Avid Artist & Mix Control, mics, & etc.
DP8-Main DAW

faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted inspite of your changing moods.

Eric-EAP Co

it's better to have it & not need it that to need it & not have it
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Nice to hear the sound is better in DP. This has been a subject of lots of argument and attempted double blind listening tests by radio gal in sweden I think?
I hope you’re right. I have never attempt comparisons.

If DP would promote it’s features better so that it wasnt #4 or 5 in the list of favorite workstations, and if it would become more efficient and keep streamlining it’s code, it could indeed topple Pro Tools.
But this would take a promotion and programming efficiency effort on the part of MOTU that is at least 2 times better than MOTU is producing now. (that is a gross estimate I know, but you get the point).
Welcome to the forum, DP is indeed getting better and better, so if you like it now, imagine the future!!. Let us know your results in the areas of plug in efficiency and CPU drain compared to Pro Tools. Id love to hear about that.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc