Adding "Something" to Drum Tracks

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by zandurian »

I accidently discovered many years ago how a 57 near the ride cymbal can get the coolest tone - really snaps in that mid-hi range instead of the silvery hi tingle of a full range condensor. The rogue room mic with crazy compression and distortion is a great tip (especially for pop/rock) as well as doing something other than the standard reverb.
Also big open rooms whenever possible because all my "just big enough for the kit" dead rooms always sounded not so good. Example - moved from the afore metioned dead room into a spacious church foyer OR main stage - much more open sounding. Even a big living room (hang a mic up in that cathedral ceiling!). Lots of fun!!!
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Jim »

Yeah, I'm starting to think we've all been had by the gear makers and magazine moguls. I switched to a 421 (dynamic) on my hi-hat from a Shure KSM-44 studio condenser, and I like the sound much more! More mellow, less shrill and harsh. I'm thinking about replacing my Earthworks overheads with 57s.