problems modulating Fx filter cutoff with AHD (layer level)

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

problems modulating Fx filter cutoff with AHD (layer level)

Post by crduval »

Hi expert MachFive users...

I don't know if this is a bug, and I have a workaround, so its not really a problem, but I am really puzzled by this behavior - here's the issue:

I created a simple new program with a single sawtooth oscillator. Everything is at the default state.

I added a Rez LP Filter to the layer by clicking on the "FX" tab. I wanted to modulate the cutoff with an envelope. So I right clicked on the "Filter cutoff" knob, and assign it to a new AHD envelope at the layer level.

Returning to the Edit tab, I cannot for the life of me get that AHD envelope to do anything with the cutoff frequency!

If I change the modulation source to an LFO (at either the layer or the program level), no problem, the cutoff is modulated as expected. Same with an external MIDI controller, all works fine. But the envelope does nothing, and I tried assigning the envelope at both the layer and program levels.

Just to make sure I was applying the AHD correctly, I turned off the Layer level effect, and returned to the edit window. I then added a Rez LP Filter in the Keygroup(s) panel of the modulation section. This assigns the filter at the keygroup level, as one might expect. I assigned that to the AHD, and voila, it works as expected!

Since I can get the filter modulation to work at the keygroup level, I have a workaround, but I can't figure out why I couldn't modulate the cutoff the original way I tried doing it. I initially suspected a hierarchy problem, but the LFO (assigned at either the program or layer level) works at the layer level just fine, so I am stumped. :?

Any ideas?
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: problems modulating Fx filter cutoff with AHD (layer lev

Post by hugy »

Keygroup FX are per voice FX while Layer FX are inserts FX on all voices.

AHD only make sense if there is some triggering involved which only happen at voice level.
LFO works fine in both case as there is no triggering required.

Hope this make sense.
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: problems modulating Fx filter cutoff with AHD (layer lev

Post by crduval »

Thanks, Hugy, it does make sense.

I was thinking after I posted, that at the layer or program levels there is no vehicle to trigger an envelope; while at the keygroup level the envelopes are triggered by note-on events.

I wonder why envelopes are presented as modulation options at the higher levels? Unless there is a way to trigger them using scripting or perhaps in conjunction with other modulation sources (the Envelope can be used as a sub-source).

Thanks for the reply!

Chris
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller