Plugins TC Powercore 75% Off until 1 july...

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

p.pan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plugins TC Powercore 75% Off until 1 july...

Post by p.pan »

I just receive an email from TC:
http://www.tc-now.com/computer_recording.asp

I am tempted by the MD3, Harmony and the Restoration suite...

What do you think??
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Plugins TC Powercore 75% Off until 1 july...

Post by James Steele »

If you think you can get some use out of them for a while. From what I understand, PowerCore is not being developed or supported by TC anymore is it? It would explain why they're dumping plugs.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Also, I think the grace period for "cross-grading" to Universal Audio from Powercore has probably expired by now -- otherwise that might be an "incentive" to buy into the discounted Powercore plugs. There might be cross-grades to native from Powercore as well.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

FWIW TC's current (and FINAL) version works w Mountain Lion. But all bets are off after that.

Also crossgrade to UAD has been over for a while.

That being said:

I am really very tempted by this blowout. What I am wondering about is the feasiblility of setting up my old dual G5 as a "standalone" processor. Like a super-duper Finalizer.

Seems like I could get pretty low latency.

I'd probably get

Intonator - $24
Harmony 4 - $49
X5 - $24
maybe DVR2 - sounds like classic verb on steroids, which I love

I guess I need to test this out first to see if it is feasible, glad that the blowout is on for a little while.

Might also be a possiblity to get a used Powercore compact firewire along the way **IF** I can get a good deal. My mac pro is sitting at Lion, planning to update to ML soon, LOL. Planning to get several more years out of this machine.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Interesting. I have an old PCI PoCo Element card and my G5. Still that G5 is noisy and hot. Probably sucks a lot of juice too. I wonder if it's worth it? I'm liking FG-X quite a bit. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Classic Verb is/was nice.

p.pan

Post by p.pan »

On the TC Forum people say it work on ML.

I think the deal is not bad for people like me have a Firewire Powercore.
And some of the Plug-ins are very good.

I use some of them all the time.
I was blow away by the MD3 (Trial)

Some of you have feedback for the restauration suite???
MacPro 5.1 6-core 3.33GHz 16GB RAM.
Motu 2408MKI PCIe 424, with Focusrite octopre
Alphatrack.
DP7.24, SD2, Omnisphere 1, Komplete 7,Ethno.1.0.1,Styllus RMX 1.8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Before I sold my TC Powercore, I was using it primarily for the excellent restoration suite. Feature-wise I still prefer it to any other, as it was so intuitive and flexible in its workflow, and easy to dig in at any level of complexity. I also felt it did a better job of broadband than RX2 Advanced, but haven't done enough broadband since the Version 2 update to know if that's still the case.

Each restoration suite has its strengths, and my money is still on iZotope RX as the ultimate tool, and they do have good tutorials that help when you have the time to go through them and/or can keep your focus on your work while switching screen focus and/or have two screens to make tutorials/manuals easier to use "on the fly" (they aren't as useful when studying in advance, unless you have a photographic memory).

The TC Powercore manuals were small but well-written and complete. To me, the Restoration Suite was, at the time, the highlight and what was unique about it vs. other options such as UAD. Some of the reverbs were nice -- especially that multi-mode one they introduced later and which was set up like a grid of options and contexts (I forget its name).

By now most of the reverbs have been superseded by native plug-ins. Still, TC has a unique approach and many like the flavour of their reverbs. There were also some unique plugs like Character and even VI's like the Access Virus emulation.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

My Tascam digital console has some of the TC Works plugs on board, and I agree that having the different "color" of those 'verbs available is a nice thing.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
greeny

Post by greeny »

For me this is a big surprise! How is it musicians can still be enthusiastic about TC plugins being on sale at this time? Baffles me! :shock:

It is my belief that TC Powercore Firewire plugins were working fine in their versions V.1.5, V2 and V.3 but once MacOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) was introduced, a system which required PowerCore software version 4, TC plugins have stopped working crash-free, at least not on my system. Imac 27inch, duo-core 3gigs with 8gigs ram and OSX 10.6.8.

In DP 7.24, which I use, the Poco Plugins software (V.4) would continuously crash DP, in all sorts of ways. I've posted many crash reports to TC's customer support but have never been able get an solid explanation from them; they certainly could not be bothered any longer. For them the PoCo plugins were terminated at the MacOSX 10.5 stage and Poco software V. 3 was the last dependable working set of plugins as far as I know, as do a lot of other TC customers who have complained about this on the TC PowerCore user's forum.

PowerCore Firewire worked nicely in DP for me up until OSX 10.4 (Lion) and still does on an older G4 machine; something definitely broke after that when Snow Leopard OSX 10.6 appeared on the scene.

Therefor I am most curious to find out if and how other PoCo users or ex users have managed to have a satisfactory crash free experience with version V.4 of the TC PowerCore software within DP7.2.4 or later. Beats me! :?

Thanks and cheers to you!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah man, it'd be a struggle to justify reverting to TC-powered DSP again. I got burned by the constant need to update the drivers and app(s?). Most of the time it wasn't worth firing up due to the smorgasboard of glitches on offer.
mhschmieder wrote:Before I sold my TC Powercore, I was using it primarily for the excellent restoration suite.
I too, Mark. I cleaned up the only old family cassette we have (from around 1974), along with a bunch of other stuff. I only used the denoiser but I came to rely on it for its effectiveness and ridiculously-easy tweakability. I still miss it, but I've seen your comments about iZotope RX, so one day...
mhschmieder wrote:To me, the Restoration Suite was, at the time, the highlight
No doubt.
mhschmieder wrote:Some of the reverbs were nice
I only ran the stock suite of (17?) plugins, so ClassicVerb was the only option really as the other one sounded tinny and one had to fight it hard to mellow it out.
mhschmieder wrote:By now most of the reverbs have been superseded by native plug-ins. Still, TC has a unique approach and many like the flavour of their reverbs.
Yup. I loved ClassicVerb primarily for its ER engine, which I used by shortening the tail as editing was limited.

So true that something so sweet has been superceded, but as you suggest, there's still a flavour in there that's unique and tasteful IMHO.

EDIT: I Finally figured out how to space quote responses properly. Posts made since my return a week ago will be corrected. Sorry for the distraction.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here