need cool air in my garage studio-Help!.

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mgmediaworks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

need cool air in my garage studio-Help!.

Post by mgmediaworks »

what do you suggest.. I took over half of my 2 car garage.. just ran some new power in there.. xtra line availabe.. 2 rooms-- sound room and control rool 15X15 12X12.. what can I do to get cool air in there.. hotter then an oven.... maybe some duct work.. I have the other side of the garage where I can put machines or what ever it is I need to run air in there.. cut holes through the wall.. yeah.. I can do it.. but what about sound leakage.. etc..hey forget sound leakage.. what can I do about the heat.. what is the most economical way to keep cool.. and in the winter stay warm..
studiodog
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: need cool air in my garage studio-Help!.

Post by studiodog »

I just put a "Mini-Split" in my control room. Only takes a tiny hole in the wall to connect the split units. Damn thing is QUIET and I can now hang meat in the room, if I wanted to... :)

http://www.mini-split.com/
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

you need to put a self contained out door unit(ie - compressor/condensor/blower all in one central unit) on the ground at least 15 feet away from the hole in the wall where the supply/return ducts are going to come through. You need to enclose the exterior duck in a thick, air tight channel with a small roof on it. As you punch through the wall build a "coffin" - a thick multi- layered sheetrock channel which your flex duct or other duct will be built into. Each layer of sheetrock needs to be caulked air tight (including where it meets the wall). Once inside the coffin/air duct needs to travel a few feet and make some turns before coming out into the room to allow any breech in your soundproofing coming through the ducts to dissipate before it would have a chance to enter your room -
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

My solution is not real economical - for economy look into studio dog's procedure -
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Tim

Post by Tim »

Originally posted by studio dog:
I just put a "Mini-Split" in my control room. Only takes a tiny hole in the wall to connect the split units. Damn thing is QUIET and I can now hang meat in the room, if I wanted to... :)

http://www.mini-split.com/
Quanto es?
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Split unts are very effecient like dog dun said.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Studio615

Post by Studio615 »

Studio Dog, How much did the unit cost?
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz (15"), 828mkII, rockit 8 monitors, and lots of coffee on those long late night sessions.
LaptopPop

Post by LaptopPop »

OK, just for fun...here is A/C on the REAL REAL cheap - about $25.

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~gmilburn/ac/

-lee-