Automatically/programmatically name audio files?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bricker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automatically/programmatically name audio files?

Post by bricker »

Is there a way to tell DP, programmatically, how to name audio files when it's recording? I'd like to be able to have it put the timecode somewhere in the name of the audio file automatically, so that when I'm recording a bunch of stems I don't have to go through and update every one if the cue starts 2 frames earlier or something. Some interpolation input, like "#{chunkTitle} - #{trackTitle} - #{take} #{timecode}"... I know this is a kind of wishful thinking but I figured I'd ask if there was at least something similar to this functionality.

Thanks!
FMiguelez

Re: Automatically/programmatically name audio files?

Post by FMiguelez »

AFAIK, the only way is to let DP grab the Audio File name from the track name (you do this from the Audio window - sorry, not in front of DP now to check the window name).

The other choice is to manually name them as you go right there in that same window.

This is probably not what you want because you'd have to rename every track...
I suppose you could ask MOTU for this feature.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Seems like naming them after the track has been a good idea. But changing the name is easier than ever.

I'm not sure how else you'd communicate to DP just what you want to name it. Maybe an iPhone-device into which you whisper "Siri, name this track Mondo Bondo." Hopefully the mic doesn't pick it up, or when Siri misstates it back to you: "Now deleting your Monday condo closure meeting."
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bricker

Post by bricker »

Shooshie wrote:I'm not sure how else you'd communicate to DP just what you want to name it. Maybe an iPhone-device into which you whisper "Siri, name this track Mondo Bondo." Hopefully the mic doesn't pick it up, or when Siri misstates it back to you: "Now deleting your Monday condo closure meeting."
Hehe... I was thinking it would be nice if DP would provide a way for you to tell it how to name tracks with variables. So it might provide you some options in the "Audio Files" preference menu:

Audio File Name:
[ ] Use the Track Name
[ ] Use the Track Name + Take Name
[ ] Custom: __________________

And it might provide a few possible variables:
- trackName
- takeName
- chunkName
- date
- timecode

So one might fill it in like:

Code: Select all

{chunkName} - {trackName} v{takeName} - {timecode}
Which would produce:

Code: Select all

m01 - Credits v3 - 05010315
Just an idea - I'm sure Motu has thought of this already, maybe it's just not useful to enough people to be worth putting in.