Working with the Fade window in DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Working with the Fade window in DP

Post by Tripi »

Here's another workflow question for the group. I find that using audio fades in DP slows me down more than necessary. Now... I work relatively fast in DP, and have key commands and quickeys assigned to everything (literally). I usually edge drag a fade on audio in to place, but DP always remembers the last fade type I used. So, if it's not the right fade, I use cntrl+F to open the fade window. I really wish it had presets like the quantize window, where I could just select the steep curve for 150 ms (as an example). I thought about making a QK macro for this, but the problem is how DP opens this window. It opens with either "equal gain" or "equal power" selected. If it's on "equal power" that steep curve option is greyed out.

Anyways... this is pretty fine-tuning stuff, but I use it enough that I was hoping to find a more efficient method. Wish there was a key command for a specific fade type. Maybe I just missed something? Ableton Live has a nice method where you edge drag the fade, and then adjust the shape right there on the soundbite.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Working with the Fade window in DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I feel your pain. I usually double click on the fade to make the adjustments if they are different from the last fade used. This also resets the default to whatever you used last time.

Basically, what is needed is a "user preset" for fades like there is for plugins and assignable keys from the commands windows for any preset. Come to think of it, having assignable key command presets for plugs would be nice as well.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

You should not have to select audio data to change the fade type and possibly make a change you did not intend to, You should be able to just reach up to the menu and select type of fade
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I agree about the presets thing. Also, the cross-fade shape, the fade-in shape, and the fade-out shapes should all be remembered separately. In other words, if I change the crossfade shape to something weird, then go drag a fade out onto a different region, it should remember that last fade-out shape I used, and not the weird crossfade.

BTW, I love that I can select a bunch of different audio regions and drag the fade-in or fade-out of all of them at once. That's come in handy many times.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com