Cinematic Tension FX for Kontakt!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
frankymax
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cinematic Tension FX for Kontakt!

Post by frankymax »

Hi there,

As a long time DP user I hope it's ok for me to post this here.

I'm thrilled and excited to have published my first sample library on Native Instruments Kontakt called Cinematic Tension FX!

These are sampled ambiences, effects, hits, pushes that I've recorded over the last several years and used in my soundtracks, using tons of woodwinds, strings, prepared piano, and voices. The wizards at Sampleism have created a Kontakt instrument interface that also uses a "morph" function that allows the seemless morphing of one sound to another via the keyboard mod wheel.

The intent of the library is to help composers create tense and interesting transitions within their compositions as well as textures, hits, pushes and other creepy sounds!!

It's for sale for the introductory price of $20 (it will eventually go up to $38) here:
http://www.sampleism.com/cacophony-inc/ ... n-fx?sk=av

You can also hear a few demos using the library as well as download the pdf manual there. This is for the FULL version of Kontakt v4.23 or higher.

Sounds include:
Bass flutes FX/ Bass Clarinets FX/ Bassoons FX/ Contrabass Clarinets FX/ Chinese Flutes FX/ Ocarinas FX/ Tarkus Flutes FX/ Ethnic Flutes FX/ Misc. Woodwinds FX/ Quena Flutes FX/ Vocals FX1/ Vocal FX2/ String FX/ String Clusters FX/ Electric Guitar FX (multiple banks)/ Prepared Piano FX/ Jawharp FX/ Bass Harmonica FX

Thanks for checking it out!

-Frank

DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
Shooshie

Re: Cinematic Tension FX for Kontakt!

Post by Shooshie »

frankymax wrote:These are sampled ambiences, effects, hits, pushes that I've recorded over the last several years and used in my soundtracks, using tons of woodwinds, strings, prepared piano, and voices. The wizards at Sampleism have created a Kontakt instrument interface that also uses a "morph" function that allows the seemless morphing of one sound to another via the keyboard mod wheel.

The intent of the library is to help composers create tense and interesting transitions within their compositions as well as textures, hits, pushes and other creepy sounds!!

It's for sale for the introductory price of $20 (it will eventually go up to $38) here:
http://www.sampleism.com/cacophony-inc/ ... n-fx?sk=av

You can also hear a few demos using the library as well as download the pdf manual there. This is for the FULL version of Kontakt v4.23 or higher.

Sounds include:
Bass flutes FX/ Bass Clarinets FX/ Bassoons FX/ Contrabass Clarinets FX/ Chinese Flutes FX/ Ocarinas FX/ Tarkus Flutes FX/ Ethnic Flutes FX/ Misc. Woodwinds FX/ Quena Flutes FX/ Vocals FX1/ Vocal FX2/ String FX/ String Clusters FX/ Electric Guitar FX (multiple banks)/ Prepared Piano FX/ Jawharp FX/ Bass Harmonica FX

Thanks for checking it out!

-Frank

Oh man… funny thing: I was reading about this and wondering if they could do those effects you always heard in TV mysteries in the 70s and 80s. Shows like Ironsides, Hawaii Five-O, and others. The particular effect was usually a piano (prepared or not), a violin, and a bass clarinet. Especially the bass clarinet you'd hear doing some atonal squawks as the hero tiptoed through the darkened corridor, reaching slowly for the doorknob which would unleash a barrage of gunfire on him if he twisted it, but he thinks better of it and backs away, seeing other opened, darkened doors to explore in the seemingly abandoned building. All this time, the bass clarinet would play, and maybe some tom-toms would punctuate the tension, followed by some piano clusters and a squeaky high violin. This combination became so common as to be a cliche. So, I was wondering if this thing does a mysterious bass clarinet, and what do I see in the picture? It's set to Bass Clarinet!

I'm guessing that lonely, darkened corridors are no sweat for this instrument!

:lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Hi Shoosh! Well this library doesn't have any solo bass clarinet. It's a section of several swirling berserk bass clarinets playing textures and clusters with all kinds of kooky effects like flutter tongueing and trills etc. Hopefully it will get used for some scary stuff!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Hey Frank, would it be Kosher to post a few samples outside the site? I always hesitate to enter my social media as a log in to any site and would really love to hear a bit of this stuff before I do that. Call me paranoid, I know... Even samples that were "close" would be great if actual samples violates any kind of confidentiality or exclusivity agreement. Worse case (for you), I could come over there and listen in your space if/when that is convenient - I'll bring any refreshments that could compliment coffee? :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Hey MLC- you don't have to log onto Sampleism to hear the sounds or purchase- if they ask you to sign in thru social network just don't if you don't want to. They have told me you can purchase the products there without logging in. And you should be able to hear my Soundcloud demos (there's 3 of them) at that webpage, but here's a link to the Soundcloud set as well:

https://soundcloud.com/frank-macchia/se ... tension-fx

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis

Cool! Nice stuff. So are these all separate sounds that can be mixed and sequenced independently? (Damn, and I baked banana nut muffins today!)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Never mind, I went ahead an ordered. If it's from Frankmax, it's a no brainer, IMO.

We can still do coffee, dude! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bdr

Post by bdr »

great stuff Frank and a great price! Bought!
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Thanks guys! Sorry to take so long to get back but I had an early morning!

So, yes, MLC you can play the sounds independently and it comes with a 16 MIDI channel multi set up which you can set up whichever groups of sounds you'd like to use per MIDI channel, so say on MIDI 1 you could have bass clarinet efx on one side and bass flute efx on the other, using the mod wheel to morph and crossfade between the two sounds, then on MIDI 2 you could have bass harmonica efx on one side and say string efx on the other. But you don't have to use the morphing if you don't want to, so in theory you could set up the 16 channel multi with 2 sounds on each channel and have the whole palette of sample sets (there are 25) between the two sides of the 16 MIDI channels with several extra left over (since you'd have the capability of 32 sample sets) and then just use the mod wheel to pick one bank of sounds per each side for the sounds you want at that moment.

There's also a cool delay and reverb built into the program and the distort feature really adds some cool extra growl when applied to the samples.

The way I used it on the demos was to sequence in DP (of course!) and open an instance of Kontakt- (full version- it won't work in the Kontakt Player) and load the multi into Kontakt. Then I quickly went down the 16 programs and set the left and right sides to a sample set, hit save and load and started sequencing. When you close and re-open up DP with the sequence you're working on the sample sets are remembered in the Kontakt instance so you're good to go. You could also save the multi at that point within Kontakt if you wanted to open that exact multi setup you created in another DAW, but why would you want to use anything but DP?!?

BTW, one bit of info: I did these demos all in DP 8.04 on my brand spanking new Windows PC and it worked pretty much flawlessly!! DP on Windows! I never thought I'd see the day... 28 years after I started with Performer on my 512 Mac I'm using it on PC! What a weird thing, but great!! I guess I better update my gear info here to reflect my move to (gasp!) show I'm now on PC!!! :D
MIDI Life Crisis

Call me a simpleton but the Jaw Harp is worth the price of admission. Try finding a better sample!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Thanks!! I love the Jaw Harp although I'm not the best player on it, but I also sampled some Indonesian Jaw Harps I purchased a while back for this and I think I got some interesting performances out of them, trying to emulate things I've heard in the past. I'm so thrilled you dig 'em!
MIDI Life Crisis

I wish I had it before I scored my last DVD set. It would have worked great on a couple of these films.

http://www.filmpreservation.org/dvds-an ... ew-zealand
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I wish this had been around earlier, too... I'm wrapping up a game score with a lot of spooky caves and bleak deserts, and this would been cool. This is great stuff... next time for sure! (My copy is downloading now.)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Thanks so much you guys! BTW, I should mention that the extreme top octave of the keyboard (like C7-C8) also contain a bunch of additional samples so if you have an 88 key controller and don't have easy access to that octave try the little Kontakt keyboard at the bottom of the Kontakt screen and click the right arrow to get that extra top octave to hear those samples. There's a bunch of cool stuff up there!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

frankymax wrote:Hey MLC- you don't have to log onto Sampleism to hear the sounds or purchase- if they ask you to sign in thru social network just don't if you don't want to. They have told me you can purchase the products there without logging in.
True Franky, I just purchased (via PayPal) without having to log on.
I'm really looking forward to playing with these!

BTW, as for promoting the lib., if you're not familiar with it, you might also want to go over on VI-Control's Commercial section:
http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=63
and post there, if Sampleism hasn't already done it. *Loadz* of Kontakt-using composers there!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me