DP has won my heart

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ChrisByrd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP has won my heart

Post by ChrisByrd »

I think it was the consolidated window, the way it handles virtual instruments and the MIDI features that first won me over to Digital Performer. Having been a programmer, I'm wondering if chunks wasn't a working name, which the developers got used to then couldn't think of a better name. I have seen it happen.

Logic is frustrating with VIs and, though it does have powerful MIDI features, they can be very difficult to find and use. I've seen criticism of the MIDI track plus instrument track approach, but I find this very intuitive and easy to use. I still tend to use this approach in Cubase.

I love everything about Cubase, except using it :wink: . It's fine for short sessions, but I find something about the aesthetics and the workflow tiring after a while. A lot of people love it though, so it's probably more a matter of taste.

By the way, it was Gravity Jim's post on the Logic Pro forum that alerted me to the DP demo. So thanks Jim, I think :)
MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9.1, Apogee Duet Firewire, Yamaha S90, Digital Performer 8.0.5, Finale 2012c, Cubase 7, Logic Pro X, NI Komplete 9, HALion 5
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Ha! Chris, I was honestly just trying to do what that post said... alert Logic uses who are leery of the program's future (a concern I think is really overstated) that they could try a better alternative for free. You must have seen that post in the five minutes it was allowed to stand, because it got removed and I got a nice note from the forum owner. :)

Glad you found your way to DP. In 20 years I've still never seen anything better.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
ChrisByrd

Post by ChrisByrd »

Jim, I was lucky then. I noticed you got a pretty hostile response before David stepped in, but sorry to hear that it was removed. Your post seemed very reasonable to me, and it is BIG news that DP now has a demo. I wonder of anybody else was tempted?
MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9.1, Apogee Duet Firewire, Yamaha S90, Digital Performer 8.0.5, Finale 2012c, Cubase 7, Logic Pro X, NI Komplete 9, HALion 5
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I didn't see the responses, but I think the hostility is born of nerves. Logic users may have a good reason to doubt Apple's commitment, even though I know it's a fact they've been hiring DAW engineers to work on it. What they have planned for it? I dunno.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
ChrisByrd

Post by ChrisByrd »

Jim, from memory the posts were more defensive than hostile. I agree that Logic X is almost certainly on the way, but I'm glad for one that I can just forget about it now. I got the DP 8 box today so am ready to go. It's so nice these days to get a big printed manual to read :)
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

ChrisByrd wrote:It's so nice these days to get a big printed manual to read :)
"'tis new to thee..." as Prospero said. Ho ho - a lot of history here re:pdf's ! New users have missed all the fun......
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Arrrrr!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

ChrisByrd wrote:It's so nice these days to get a big printed manual to read :)
You know, it's funny. I'm glad for the people who wanted it that there's a PDF manual to search, etc., but I have always liked the printed manual. I bought Logic Express 7 a long time ago, and a big reason I just gave up on learning it was that I found it frustrating to have Logic open on my monitors and then try to refer to a PDF manual also on screen and switching, etc. Printed manuals are just more helpful, IMO, when learning.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

The PDF only in Finale is a PITA. It's a PITAPDF!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The PDF only in Finale is a PITA. It's a PITAPDF!
ML, did you ever get a copy of the late, (not so) great Official Finale manual, from around the late 1990's, I think? It was actually a printout of their PDF's, that came with something like 6 point type!! Totally unreadable, and they charged for it! I think they dropped it after a couple of years. I bought one, immediately sent it back, then proceeded to manually print out all fo the PDF's - - 30+ 2" binders!
Then I took a long, hard look at Sibelius, and it's beautifully bound (and readable) manual....and I've never looked back!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

I never ordered the manual you mentioned but I also tried Sibelius and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Not a fan.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I never ordered the manual you mentioned
glad you never experienced it!!
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I also tried Sibelius and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
even *more* glad that I'm not your worst enemy!!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

Wait! I thought you liked S*******?

I don't have enemies. It's what we Sicilians call "business." By the way, did you take care of that "thing" yet? LOL.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
menright

Post by menright »

It was "P" and not "DP" that won this particular heart, and by that I mean Performer, way back in 1989. It was the first program I got for my Mac Iicx and the reason I bought a computer. It was also the reason that computer was a Mac.

There were a few years when I didn't do much with it, but I've gotten almost every upgrade and have never felt any compelling need to use another sequencer. Since I went native with DP7 -- abandoning a ProTools back-end -- it's just gotten easier and easier to make ambitious music. With the addition of MachFive to the setup, I'm a pig in clover.

Long live DP!
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
ChrisByrd

Post by ChrisByrd »

Coming late to all this :wink: - printed + PDF is my preferred option. We've had of few our rare days in Eastern Scotland that are warm enough to sit outside, so having a paper manual to read was great. PDFs are good on the iPad but not in bright sunshine. I think MakeMusic are going to produce a more tablet friendly version of the Finale manual.