Is it normal that MF3 loads same sample twice??

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is it normal that MF3 loads same sample twice??

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I'm quite surprised here, and not in a good way...

If I load a Telematic patch in MachFive in channel 2, and then I load the same patch in channel 3, the same sample gets loaded again. This means that the same sample is loaded twice into RAM, thus wasting a good part of the memory.

Shouldn't it be smart enough to recognize this? Why doesn't it simply reference what is already loaded, like other VIs do?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Is it normal that MF3 loads same sample twice??

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's the way I've always seen it happen and in other VIs, I see the same thing - or at least they seem to do that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

Seems to make sense. Wouldn't you want independent control & access to these samples from two separate MIDI tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Exactly what I was thinking.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes, of course I want independent control from different tracks.

But if the samples are already loaded I would expect MF to simply fire them on demand.

VI Pro, for instance, can do this... You can have 20 violin patches loaded in your tracks, but it will only be loaded into RAM once, as one would expect.

If I load Telematic (4 GB) five times, there go 20 GB of wasted memory...
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
BOOMXL
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BOOMXL »

I agree, there should be an option as both have their uses.
System Spec:
Windows 7 [32 bit]
Intel Core2Duo
4GB RAM
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yesterday I confirmed that Kontakt 5 DOES NOT load the same samples more than once.

If I load the same instrument 8 times, it will only load it into RAM once, as one would expect.

I wonder if MOTU could make this aspect more efficient, like its strongest competitor?
I really see no reason to load the same samples many times. I mean, once a set of samples is loaded into RAM, all MF3 should do is send them from RAM to whoever requests them, like>

Ok. Channel 1 is requesting these samples for these notes... There you go.
Channel 4 is requesting those same ones... I already have them. Knock your self out!

Would it not be much better???? :?

rwbmuse

Post by rwbmuse »

I have wondered about this issue as well FMiguelez. I am using telematic on separate M5 parts so that I can set up separate FX multis. The variety of guitar sounds that I need are created in this way. But each time I set up a new channel I have to reload this large program. Of course in most cases the samples are streamed. I am not sure exactly how this works but doesn't the part load the keymaps and other program info but stream the sample data? If this is so, could we not have an alias that points to the program data and then plug said alias into more than one MIDI part? At least in my case I have little need to stream the sample data to more than one MIDI channel at any time. Really what I wish for is a way to save the FX Multi as a program # and be able to automate the loading of that FX Multi just as I would with any hardware based device.