Please help me transfer my MIDI drum tracks from PC to MAC

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
doc7string
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Please help me transfer my MIDI drum tracks from PC to MAC

Post by doc7string »

Hey guys I searched and couldn't find my answer. I just upped to DP 8 and bought a new imac 27", 3.4 Ghz, 1 TB fusion drive, 2 TB TIme Capsule, 32 GB Ram (hooray). Given that DP now runs on PC and mac and the fact that my MIDI drum tracks take me a long time to program, I would like to do the drum tracks on my lap top (PC) then trasfer the MIDI files to my mac and go from there (I get tired of living in the basement studio when Im programming drums, and this would free me from that constraint). Im either too much of a noob, or too stupid, but I cant figure out how to do it. Is there a simple answer? If this has been answered elsewhere please redirect me, and I apologize for not having found it. Thanks, Paul
27" iMac, 3.4 gHz, 32 GB ram, MOTU 828 mkII, DP8, Mac OS X 10.8.3 http://www.myspace.com/paulwillisproject
http://www.myspace.com/paulwilliscountry
buzzsmith

Re: Please help me transfer my MIDI drum tracks from PC to M

Post by buzzsmith »

doc7string wrote:Hey guys I searched and couldn't find my answer. I just upped to DP 8 and bought a new imac 27", 3.4 Ghz, 1 TB fusion drive, 2 TB TIme Capsule, 32 GB Ram (hooray). Given that DP now runs on PC and mac and the fact that my MIDI drum tracks take me a long time to program, I would like to do the drum tracks on my lap top (PC) then trasfer the MIDI files to my mac and go from there (I get tired of living in the basement studio when Im programming drums, and this would free me from that constraint). Im either too much of a noob, or too stupid, but I cant figure out how to do it. Is there a simple answer? If this has been answered elsewhere please redirect me, and I apologize for not having found it. Thanks, Paul
It's been a really LONG day in the studio, so I may not be as sharp as others right now, but I'm thinking that you could save your drum tracks as MIDI files on the PC (you may have already), pop 'em on a thumb drive and when on the new Mac (congrats) drag them into a new DP sequence MIDI track and set to the correct tempo.

To me it sounds as simple as dragging a Stylus MIDI groove or a BFD groove to an appropriately assigned MIDI track.

There are probably other ways, but this comes to my foggy mind right now.

Hope it helps or gives you a starting point, at least!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I think you'd find MIDI networking to be your ultimate solution. A bit of a challenge to set up at first, but very liberating in the long run. I really can't explain the whole setup here, but these articles might get you started:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/a ... p_0307.htm

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

I might add that this can be done via WiFi over an Adhoc (computer to computer, bypassing a router) network with very little latency.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I don't understand why this is a problem. Can't you just save the drum part as a .mid file, put it on a CD and then put that CD in the Mac and load the fle in DP?

Or, since I think the iMac doesnt have a DVD drive, put it on an SCXD card. Or just e-mail the .mid file to yourself!

I haven't found basic file transfer (.doc or .docx files from Word, for example) between Windows and Macs to be a problem anymore.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Gravity Jim wrote:Or just e-mail the .mid file to yourself!
If there are any problems with this, try zipping the file, then emailing. Actually I don't think it's needed, but I've had other files that would get corrupted during transfer unless they were zipped first.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

not at all an answer to doc7string's dilemma, but it raises an interesting question/possibility; wonder if a DP8PC session file can be opened on DP8Mac? and/or v.v.?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
doc7string

Post by doc7string »

Thanks all for the great ideas. I will try them and get back to you on the results. Regarding cd rom I do have an external superdrive that I picked up with the new iMac so maybe that will be the answer. Will let you know. Thanks again, you guys always get me where I need to go 8')
27" iMac, 3.4 gHz, 32 GB ram, MOTU 828 mkII, DP8, Mac OS X 10.8.3 http://www.myspace.com/paulwillisproject
doc7string

Post by doc7string »

Just an update. Exported the file emailed to myself as an attachment and dragged into my drum track. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the great ideas.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

doc7string wrote:Thanks all for the great ideas. I will try them and get back to you on the results. Regarding cd rom I do have an external superdrive that I picked up with the new iMac so maybe that will be the answer. Will let you know. Thanks again, you guys always get me where I need to go 8')
Good to hear that the email transfer worked for you.

But on the note of a hardware-mediated transfer, just use a USB thumb drive (or ext USB hd). No need to mess around with burning a CD.

Having said that, DVD's are still useful as another means of archiving media.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

wvandyck wrote:
doc7string wrote:Thanks all for the great ideas. I will try them and get back to you on the results. Regarding cd rom I do have an external superdrive that I picked up with the new iMac so maybe that will be the answer. Will let you know. Thanks again, you guys always get me where I need to go 8')
Good to hear that the email transfer worked for you.

But on the note of a hardware-mediated transfer, just use a USB thumb drive (or ext USB hd). No need to mess around with burning a CD.

Having said that, DVD's are still useful as another means of archiving media.
Those little USB thumb drives are getting pretty useful. I bought everyone in my family a 32GB USB "drive" barely bigger than the USB plug itself. It has a clip that will hold it onto a keychain. I know that's nothing new, but I remember when a 1GB hard drive cost nearly $1000, and was about the size and weight of a college dictionary, with a fan that sounded like a jet about to take off. I've had a lot of these little PNY USB pocket drives, but 32 GB? I still find that amazing. Very handy little doodads.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Shooshie wrote: Those little USB thumb drives are getting pretty useful. I bought everyone in my family a 32GB USB "drive" barely bigger than the USB plug itself. It has a clip that will hold it onto a keychain. I know that's nothing new, but I remember when a 1GB hard drive cost nearly $1000, and was about the size and weight of a college dictionary, with a fan that sounded like a jet about to take off. I've had a lot of these little PNY USB pocket drives, but 32 GB? I still find that amazing. Very handy little doodads.

Shooshie
Handy indeed.

Although the thought of not having an optical drive inside the Mac was unsettling, the external alternatives work well enough for reading and burning when needed.

While the parade of technological innovation continues to amaze...I still keep machines of yore close at hand: Tascam 102 & 424 mkll, a dual boot G4, etc. I've learned that while the latest gear makes for a smooth ride, situations arise when it's important to access ancient media. :mrgreen:
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

williemyers wrote:not at all an answer to doc7string's dilemma, but it raises an interesting question/possibility; wonder if a DP8PC session file can be opened on DP8Mac? and/or v.v.?
I see your question has gone unanswered...
With support for VST plug-ins and Rewire on both Mac and Windows, you can easily move DP projects from one platform to the other seamlessly, with no additional steps required. Just open the project and go.
From here:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... 8-features
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS