Chord Track in DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Chord Track in DP8

Post by Rick Cornish »

Anyone have a way to incorporate chord symbols into a sequence (like Logic's Global Chord Track)? Best I can come up with is to create Markers for each chord change and then set one counter to display Marker titles in the control panel. Works reasonably well, but Is there a better way?

Thanks.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Chord Track in DP8

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Other than Quickscribe, I don't think you can. Maybe there's a font of chord symbols that you could use that DP might allow as marker names? It might be something that could be incorporated into a theme? Ampildood might know.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bralston

Post by bralston »

Other than quickscribe...no. BUT....if you are really just needing chord "reminders" over the tracks in the sequencer or tracks editor...just place a marker on those measures or beats and name the marker with your chord.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

bralston wrote:Other than quickscribe...no. BUT....if you are really just needing chord "reminders" over the tracks in the sequencer or tracks editor...just place a marker on those measures or beats and name the marker with your chord.
You've got it, Brian. I just want to see a chord track in tracks or seq editor views to make it more like looking at a score. So far, markers is the only way I've found to do it in DP, though I hear Logic has made a bit of effort in this area.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Rick Cornish wrote:
bralston wrote:Other than quickscribe...no. BUT....if you are really just needing chord "reminders" over the tracks in the sequencer or tracks editor...just place a marker on those measures or beats and name the marker with your chord.
You've got it, Brian. I just want to see a chord track in tracks or seq editor views to make it more like looking at a score. So far, markers is the only way I've found to do it in DP, though I hear Logic has made a bit of effort in this area.
Great idea for a feature I would love to have - and a brilliant bit of lateral thinking to give a workable solution. Wish I had thought of it years ago!!
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I'd like to see some kind of scrolling note pad track where you could add anything along the time line you want.
Lyrics,cords or whatever.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I agree Gaz, and seems like it wouldn't be too hard to implement: transposing chord changes with modulations, etc. This would be very helpful.
Rick Cornish

Alfred Zigoma

Post by Alfred Zigoma »

in cubase 7 is very well done. Chord track is connected to any MIDI track and plays written harmony
MacPro Quad-Core 2.8 GHZ 16GB RAM OSX 10.10, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.11, Mac Mini MD388 OSX 10.10
DP 8, SSL MADI AlphaLink MX, UA Apollo, SSL Sigma, PMC Tb2, ATC SCM 20, SSL Alpha VHD Pre, Kemper, Powercore x8, UAD Octo, MC Mix(х2), MC Control, Melodyne, Revoice Pro, RX4, Soundtoys, McDSP, Waves, all Slate, VSL VE Pro, SE, Suite, NI Kontakt 5, Halion 5, MachFive 3, BPM, etc...
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

wylie1 wrote:I'd like to see some kind of scrolling note pad track where you could add anything along the time line you want.
+1
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

BKK-OZ wrote:
wylie1 wrote:I'd like to see some kind of scrolling note pad track where you could add anything along the time line you want.
+1
I would use that constantly, especially for editing notes: "Move bass note" "add guitar lick" "correct voc edit" "double vox here" as well as for chords etc. I use markers for this sometimes but it gets pretty cluttered especially with longer text running into the next marker. I was kind of liking the idea of markers-per-track but your idea might be more easily implemented and not create a lot of visual clutter in the TO.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I would use that constantly, especially for editing notes: "Move bass note" "add guitar lick" "correct voc edit" "double vox here" as well as for chords etc. I use markers for this sometimes but it gets pretty cluttered especially with longer text running into the next marker. I was kind of liking the idea of markers-per-track but your idea might be more easily implemented and not create a lot of visual clutter in the TO.
I do a lot of work in video and Avid MediaComposer has a great feature where you can add what they call "markers" on the fly as a video plays, then go back and add comments to them for just the purpose you described—making revisions. I would use this as well.
Rick Cornish

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

What if you could add a second (or other) "marker layers" that stack beneath the Conductor Track? One could be for however you currently use your markers while the other could be used for quick production notes. It could avoid eye clutter. Each Marker Layer could have its own Event List, or you could consolidate your Marker Layers into one Marker Event List as needed.

Those markers could also be linked to the Comments column per track in the Track Columns where you could jot down things in more detail. That could also be linked to a Comments Window where you can see all of your notes in sort of a spread sheet format on one page. It would be a to-do-ta-dah list, so to speak, where you could check off the production tasks as they are completed.

Ta-dah!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Frodo wrote:What if you could add a second (or other) "marker layers" that stack beneath the Conductor Track? One could be for however you currently use your markers while the other could be used for quick production notes. It could avoid eye clutter. Each Marker Layer could have its own Event List, or you could consolidate your Marker Layers into one Marker Event List as needed.

Those markers could also be linked to the Comments column per track in the Track Columns where you could jot down things in more detail. That could also be linked to a Comments Window where you can see all of your notes in sort of a spread sheet format on one page. It would be a to-do-ta-dah list, so to speak, where you could check off the production tasks as they are completed.

Ta-dah!
I think all this line of thinking is great. I really want to be able to make notes along the timeline in some fashion that are easy to access but not an eyesore. Frodo your ideas are spot-on. Keep dreamin' stuff up and postin' it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Thanks Phil, but I can't take full credit. We all used to keep pages of production notes and scribbled on the back of large boxes of magnetic tape. It was only a matter of thinking in terms of GUI integration.

But there's something which I completely overlooked: The Track Inspector's comments window is already linked to the comments window in the Track Columns. While the Marker Layer idea remains only an idea, the comments windows might be at least one step ahead with keeping production notes.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Rick Cornish wrote:I just want to see a chord track in tracks or seq editor views to make it more like looking at a score.
I like the markers window idea for chords as well, but if it's something like looking at a score you're looking for, the Notation Window is really great for that and the markers with chord names show up! You'll have to open the picture in a new window or tab to see it all. I just entered arbitrary notes for the example (duh!).

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS