Hot key for Save Board Layout ???

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Hot key for Save Board Layout ???

Post by labman »

What is the best way to do this? Dont see it as assignable. Anyone designed a macro for it?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hot key for Save Board Layout ???

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

What "board" are you talking about?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I think he's talking about the sections of the mixer that can be shown or hidden (and saved as board layouts).
If so, he'd find the command in the Commands window, but something tells me this is not possible...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thinking about it, if DP does not have this assignable command, perhaps some clever QKs programming would allow one to do it.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
labman

Post by labman »

FMiguelez wrote:I think he's talking about the sections of the mixer that can be shown or hidden (and saved as board layouts).

correcto FM.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

The only shortcut I know with board layouts is slightly quicker loading of different layouts by option-clicking on the Sequence name in the tab farthest to the right when you're in the mixing board -- it'll give you a list of all the saved board layouts (and the defaults) so you can more easily switch back and forth. That's not what you asked for, but figured I'd bring it up since it's kind of related and I find it useful.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

waitsongs wrote:The only shortcut I know with board layouts is slightly quicker loading of different layouts by option-clicking on the Sequence name in the tab farthest to the right when you're in the mixing board -- it'll give you a list of all the saved board layouts (and the defaults) so you can more easily switch back and forth.
Thanks for the tip. That is a bit quicker.

I would love it if Board Layouts were hotkey assignable like Window Sets are. I have asked MOTU for that a few times in the past but have been ignored. I tried with QuicKeys at one point but never could make it happen. That doesn't mean it's not possible.
DP10.13
labman

Post by labman »

I tried with iKey Dan, also to no avail.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan Worley wrote:I tried with QuicKeys at one point but never could make it happen. That doesn't mean it's not possible.
If you make the mixer open ALWAYS in the same place and position, I really think this can be done with QKs. The trick would be to create a Window Set, so the mixer never changes position. I've created similar routines accessing mini-menus in DP's windows (GE), and it definitely works.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ok. I got tired of mousing around to get my board layouts, and finally made QK work for it (no Window set necessary) :)

The trick is to ID the window by Contains "Mixing Board", and use coordinates relative to the window position (not the screen). It works beautifully. I can recall a layout directly, or have QK open the menu for me, so all I have to do is press up/down arrow to chose the one I want and press enter.

It won't work with CW, though. Since the name of the window changes, the method above won't find it. Haven't figured this one out, but I don't use CW anyway...

Oh, and I suspect that board layouts are Project-specific, because my settings get lost among projects. I will incorporate this in my main templates and see if these settings are carried out as well.

labman

Post by labman »

Nice trick FM. I appreciate that.

We use CW all the time now. arghh..

And, yes, if you save the board layouts in your actual startup templates, you will be good to go. We do just that.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Damn! I spoke too soon...

It stops working if one changes chunks, for some strange reason. Even if one goes back to the chunk where the programming took place, it gets out of whack.
The problem seems to be in the coordinates, since I can see QK is clicking in some DP place that is not the mixer.
I have no idea why :smash:

This renders it useless to me, since I change chunks very often. I'll see if I can find another solution.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you are in the consolidated window then the selection for the coordinates in QKeys should be screen relative, not window relative. It should then work to have the click at a specific location at that point.

What I sometimes do (more often than not) is select "set click location" and hover the mouse but not click it (that's with the caps lock down in QK, BTW). Memorize or write down the coordinates and then manually enter them into the coordinates locations in the QK shortcut. I use this in the Finale playback controls all the time to reset the playback measure or enter a new location for playback to start. That is "window relative" selecting the window by name and on my second monitor. If/when Finale is released with full screen capabilites (be still my heart but not too still!) I may have to revisit that. AT present, if I move the Playback window anywhere across my two monitors, it works. I'm confident that the screen location will work in the CW as long as your window set is the same as when you set the QK shortcut.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ha!
I spoke too soon AGAIN... But this time for good!

The trick to make it work for every chunk, no matter where the mixer is placed, is to, in addition to the previous method, make sure to click the upper right corner of the Relative Window as well.
The problem was that I had it relative to the left part of the window, so when the mixer changed size because of extra tracks in other chunks then it couldn't find it... Duh!

That did it. Any chunk with the mixer at any place :)

[Edit] We posted at the same time, Mike.
I will try your suggestion for CW. I will need a Window Set for that one.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

labman wrote:Nice trick FM. I appreciate that.

We use CW all the time now. arghh..

And, yes, if you save the board layouts in your actual startup templates, you will be good to go. We do just that.
Mike's trick will make it work in CW as long as you make sure it opens in the same place (Window set time) :)

And I thought I was going crazy, Labman, when I knew I had already programmed the board layouts and didn't see them in other sessions. I'll include them in my template now 8)