DP8 "world class" mastering plugs

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 "world class" mastering plugs

Post by zandurian »

As I await UPS dropping off DP8 later next week I'm curious how you current DP8ers are liking the new mastering stuff. I predominately use UAD plugs and like them better than the waves mastering stuff. I admit I'm old school and was spoiled in the 70s and 80s with analog compressors, limiters and eqs. And though I am in hate with the volume wars - like most every one else I must fight in those trenches so am always looking for more transparent, punchy but still warm tools to help.

So - how are those new WCMPIs workin' out fer ya'?
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Shooshie

Re: DP8 "world class" mastering plugs

Post by Shooshie »

zandurian wrote:As I await UPS dropping off DP8 later next week I'm curious how you current DP8ers are liking the new mastering stuff. I predominately use UAD plugs and like them better than the waves mastering stuff. I admit I'm old school and was spoiled in the 70s and 80s with analog compressors, limiters and eqs. And though I am in hate with the volume wars - like most every one else I must fight in those trenches so am always looking for more transparent, punchy but still warm tools to help.

So - how are those new WCMPIs workin' out fer ya'?
We got world class mastering plugins now? Who knew?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

Shooshie wrote:
We got world class mastering plugins now? Who knew?

Shoosh
That's what you get for missing staff meetings!

Version 8 feature highlights:

17 new plug-ins — From meticulously modeled guitar tones to world-class mastering plug-ins...
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
barreltone

Post by barreltone »

The new ones that might be used for mastering are the Dynamic EQ and Spatial Maximizer. The Dynamic EQ looks interesting...
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem,OS X 10.6.8, MOTU 896HD, DP 7.24, Finale 2009, MSI, Izotope Trash, Spectron, Ozone 4, Alloy, Rx2
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

barreltone wrote:The new ones that might be used for mastering are the Dynamic EQ and Spatial Maximizer. The Dynamic EQ looks interesting...
Those are the two that jumped out of the list at me too. Basically a multi-band compressor? Been wanting to mess with spatial stuff. Someway to liven up the over compressed LOUD masters which so many of my clients insist they need to "stand up in a playlist". Even after I show them how it messes things up. One answer was "I'm not marketing this to audiofiles".

Sheeesh!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

zandurian wrote: Someway to liven up the over compressed LOUD masters which so many of my clients insist they need to "stand up in a playlist". Even after I show them how it messes things up.

One answer was "I'm not marketing this to audiofiles".

Sheeesh!
Like.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Buzzy

Post by Buzzy »

buzzsmith wrote:
zandurian wrote: Someway to liven up the over compressed LOUD masters which so many of my clients insist they need to "stand up in a playlist". Even after I show them how it messes things up.

One answer was "I'm not marketing this to audiofiles".

Sheeesh!
Like.

Buzzy
Like Like or (Like)²

I'm thinking it's time to start making 2 masters of everything. One for audiofiles and one for radiofiles ... or loudofiles :wink:
.Bzz...

Mac Pro 6 Core-10.14.6-32GB | DP 10 | 828mkII fw | Receptor 1&2 |Reason 10.2 | Goliath | EWQLSO Gold | QL RA | Voices of Passion | Ocean Way Drums Platinum | SSD-EX | Chris Hein Horns 1&2 | Komplete 12 | AAS - Ultra Analog | BS Accordions | Nomad Factory Integral Bundle | WaveArts Power Suite 5 | Izotope Music Production 3 | Variax 600| TD-8 Drums ||STUDIO››|| MacPro QuadCore-2.66-10.4.11-8GB | 828mk3 fw | 8Pre fw (X2)| MC Mix (X3) MC Control ||
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't played with them yet. Still liking Ozone 5 Advanced.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Spacial Maximizer is great. I used it again the other day. I was silly enough to stereo record a fiddle a few months back. The cross talk between the channels created a weird boost in the mids that made it sound kinda throaty. So I put the SM on the group bus and pulled that down on the side, made it all better.

Dynamic EQ is also really good, but I already have the Waves C6, which is pretty much the same, and I'm more familiar with it.

Magic Dave has been mastering with DP built-in plugins now for a while. Now, he's A) been doing mixing and mastering for decades now, and could probably use a wire and a piece of chocolate to make an amazing master, and B) a MOTU guy, who wants to show that it can be done out of the box. Only thing DP is missing is a high end limiter, either traditional multiband or something like the Slate FG-X. But, those things are pretty new to mastering, anyway. If you're okay with masters back in the 90s and before, you could do without a multiband limiter.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy