DP8 - "Processing" indicator constantly spiking

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bricker
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 - "Processing" indicator constantly spiking

Post by bricker »

When I first started using DP8 all seemed well, but now I'm noticing that the "Processing" indicator is constantly spiking when the program is just sitting there not doing anything. I have 16GB of RAM and a 3.2 GHz i3 processor in my iMac, and am running DP in 64-bit mode. Even when I disable all of the VI's and plugins, the problem persists. This in a project with about 20 empty chunks. There are no other big programs running on the computer.

It is an issue because I get some pretty bad audio clipping and stuttering issues whenever the processing meter clips.

What can I look at to figure out what might be causing this issue? It seems to have only happened recently, and it seems to coincide with when I got Rewire to work properly with Live 8 Beta, although the problem happens even when Live isn't open, and even if I quit and re-open DP.

Thanks,
Bryan

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
OS X 10.7.5

**Update**
Well, I posted too soon. It seems like a hard reset of my computer brought the memory usage down to a normal level. I am still very curious why the issue was occurring, though, so if anybody has any thoughts, please share!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP8 - "Processing" indicator constantly spiking

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Two things.

DELETE THE DP PLISTS (preferences).

REPAIR PERMISSIONS.

That should fix it. Really.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Re: DP8 - "Processing" indicator constantly spiking

Post by bayswater »

I'm having the same problem, but it seems less severe than yours. I've deleted plists and repaired permissions, etc, but this hasn't solved it. If I reset the audio device with any change that makes it reload the driver, or restart DP, the problem goes away for a while, and then it slowly returns.

So it's starting to look like a timing/sync problem. I'm trying to isolate it to DP or to my audio interface.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8