Modeled guitar question

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
strikingtwice
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Modeled guitar question

Post by strikingtwice »

I feel absurd asking this question, but I don't really care. I feel like this is one of those things that slipped through the cracks for me.

When you record real amps, you often don't record the exact tone that you want to hear. For example, a heavily distorted guitar is usually built in layers. I understand this. I know that that is the same for models as well.

With models now though, when searching through or building your sound, do you shoot for the tone that you are pretty much going to have sit in the mix? I don't know how to phrase this question, and I guess if anything else, I'll get a discussion for how everyone is using models going.

Let's try and keep real mic'ing out of this discussion for the most part, i'm not recording bands anyway, and everything is models. I have guitar rig and pod farm, lately I've been favoring guitar rig more.

Sorry if the question seems unfocused, it's hard to explain. Do you shoot for the tone that you want to hear, or do you shoot for a tone that you're going to still end up heavily editing?
David DeLizza
4-core nehalem macpro, 6 gb ram, dp5,6,7, motu 896hd, axiom61, reason 4, bunch o' plugs.
Gravity Jim

Re: Modeled guitar question

Post by Gravity Jim »

I suppose it might depend on what kind of music you are recording, and how you think of a guitar as a component of a mix. But for me, I can't really perform the part the way I'd like unless I'm making "the tone I want to hear" while recording.

Using modelers instead of real amps, you always have the option of tweaking the sound after recording, and I may decide that it had too much grind or not enough or that the delays could be louder or something, but for the most part, I track listening to the sound I expect to use in the mix.

With software modelers, this is a moot point. You're not recording anything but the dry guitar, so you've never committed yourself to a specific sound while tracking.... There's always room for Jello.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
crduval

Post by crduval »

When I use amp sims, I usually split the guitar signal and feed a real amp so I can play (and record) a tone I like while recording a dry signal that I can process through a sim later.

I think that hearing a tone while you record that is in the ballpark of the one you ultimately want will give you a better result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I agree with the above, and add that the recorded track I end up with before the mix needs to be a little less distorted and a bit thinner than the sound I prefer when playing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
crduval

Post by crduval »

Great point, and very true Bayswater. I'm always amazed how big and powerful a less distorted guitar sounds in a mix; plus I always end up having to roll off a lot of low end to get clarity and make room for the bass in context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller