New Themes with D.P. 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Themes with D.P. 8

Post by Guitar Gaz »

corbo-billy wrote: Then you find the image "startup screen-bg" and there can modify according to your wishes: but this change is global and does not correspond to one Theme so be careful _ Keep the original before . 8)
Thanks corbo billy - I did find the image and copied it into the Theme but it didn't work - I wondered if you had made this global change and that is what you have done. I will do the same and as ever always backup any changes made (Time Machine is our friend!). Thanks for your experimentation - as I ever if I come up with anything interesting I will post here so we can all benefit.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I did find the image and copied it into the Theme but it didn't work -
I'm surprised you don't find the image following the path indicated: but I'm running under Snow Leopard. Perhaps is it different from another place system ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

corbo-billy wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:I did find the image and copied it into the Theme but it didn't work -
I'm surprised you don't find the image following the path indicated: but I'm running under Snow Leopard. Perhaps is it different from another place system ?
No I think you have misunderstood me slightly - I found the image and its where you said. It is no different under Mountain Lion. But I copied it to the Theme bundle and changed it - but this did not work. But you have pointed out you have to change the global one - so I will do that as I know where the image is. But thanks again.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Oh yes, you must leave this image at its location: there have in a Theme file has no effect.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I am working on a new Theme based on Opcode Vision - I had some screen shots and have used these in building this Theme. Anyone interested in seeing this Theme and getting a copy of it?

If you loved Opcode Vision then you might enjoy working with this Theme - although its not for everyone.
Gary Shepherd
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Based on Opcode Vision DSP - not perfect but getting there

Gary Shepherd
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow... Kinda cool! Looks like System 8 windows. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Thanks - its work in progress during my downtime. I have a few more screen shots of Vision to look at to see if I can get a bit closer. Vision had a few different colour choices so I will see if I can incorporate some of those. I tried to get the distinctive look of the sequence windows into the DP Theme (those fine lined bars and the purple progress bar) and I am still trying to improve that - and to improve the buttons and change some of the other shortcuts to Vision equivalents and the Control Panel. But I am quite pleased with it. I love DP but grew up with Vision - so to recreate some of that happy time is more than a bit of nostalgia.

Once I am happy with it I will make it available to this forum. I suspect its appeal will be limited!

Anyone with screen shots of Vision would be of use to me - I might fire up an old mac and see if I can get Vision working to get some better screen shots and different colour schemes. This is the modern equivalent to a downtime hobby of making a model ship with matchsticks in the garden shed.......
Gary Shepherd
dbender

Post by dbender »

Go, Gaz, go! I started with Vision, and mourned its passing (murder). This'll be like dressing up your new girl to look like the old one that split, kinda like in Vertigo. Looking forward to it, thanks!
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

dbender wrote:This'll be like dressing up your new girl to look like the old one that split.....
A really good analogy - or perhaps dressing her like Princess Leia in that gold outfit!
I managed to fire up Vision last night on the old G4 - and got some good screen shots with different colour themes that Vision and Studio Vision had. I am customising some of the buttons and other aspects too. This Theme customising tends to be late at night when I am tired and is a nice way of relaxing and winding down - a bit like working on the details of the fjords like Slartibartfast. Kind of more satisfying than it perhaps should be for a grown man........
Gary Shepherd
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Progress on Vision Theme - still some work to do but pleased with the result so far as it looks a fair bit like Vision or Studio Vision.

Gary Shepherd
dbender

Post by dbender »

Guitar Gaz wrote: - a bit like working on the details of the fjords like Slartibartfast. Kind of more satisfying than it perhaps should be for a grown man........

Hey Gaz, grokked and dug your HHG reference, as I was reading the sentence, after reading "fjords" I thought "Slartibartast" and then micro seconds later I saw his name in your post. Cool. Here's a couple back to you -- "pining for the fjords"

and....

So long, and thanks for all the .... themes :D
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You guys are nuts, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. After seeing this, I had the urge to fire up Dr. T's KCS Omega to see what it would take to make DP look like that. So far I've resisted the urge. Maybe when the rainy season starts.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

bayswater wrote:You guys are nuts, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. After seeing this, I had the urge to fire up Dr. T's KCS Omega to see what it would take to make DP look like that. So far I've resisted the urge. Maybe when the rainy season starts.
Vision was a great program (that's what we used to call "apps")and I was very productive using it. The latest incarnation of DP is also great and I am getting very productive on it. I liked the look and feel of Vision - and as DP very kindly allows (and encourages) customisation of look, why not have different "skins" for different occasions? Everyone likes a bit of retro - and some of those old programs were good for music making. Good grief, Reason, the king of in the box sound making, have released a version where you can incorporate hardware synths! I must admit I thought we had done away with those. So you never can tell. But every customiser is a bit nuts of course. The music comes first - but music is in the mind as well, and whatever helps, lets try it.

I will make this freely available when I am happy with it.
Gary Shepherd
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

dbender wrote: Hey Gaz, grokked and dug your HHG reference, as I was reading the sentence, after reading "fjords" I thought "Slartibartast" and then micro seconds later I saw his name in your post. Cool. Here's a couple back to you -- "pining for the fjords"

and....

So long, and thanks for all the .... themes :D
A good idea for a future Theme - Norwegian Blue anyone?
Gary Shepherd