Automating amp. envelopes in logic sequencer

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

dlyrium
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Automating amp. envelopes in logic sequencer

Post by dlyrium »

Hi

I wanted to know if it was possible to automate the amp. envelope (ADSR/DAHDSR) of an MF3 instrument in Logic's sequencer. The default automating options for the MF3 as an AU instrument are "volume", "pan", "solo", "mute" and "insert #1 bypass". I guess I could create an extra automating option (haven't tried as I'm having problems with my hardware) with a MIDI keyboard controller and use "MIDI learn" but I want to be able to do this manually : creating the nodes and curves with simple clicks, as I would do with Logic's own synths.
I hope my question was intelligible. Thanks in advance for the help.

David, from Switzerland.
dlyrium

Re: Automating amp. envelopes in logic sequencer

Post by dlyrium »

Help? Anyone?
Sianth

Post by Sianth »

dlyrium wrote:Hi

I wanted to know if it was possible to automate the amp. envelope (ADSR/DAHDSR) of an MF3 instrument in Logic's sequencer. The default automating options for the MF3 as an AU instrument are "volume", "pan", "solo", "mute" and "insert #1 bypass". I guess I could create an extra automating option (haven't tried as I'm having problems with my hardware) with a MIDI keyboard controller and use "MIDI learn" but I want to be able to do this manually : creating the nodes and curves with simple clicks, as I would do with Logic's own synths.

David, from Switzerland.
I'm not sure what you are asking here.
Are you asking whether it's possible top make an extra automation track in Logic or are you asking whether the amp. envelope in MF3 can be automated?
The amp. envelope can be modulated by/from a number of different sources.
dlyrium

Post by dlyrium »

I'm asking if I can make an extra automation "track" for the ADSR of an MF3 instrument in Logic.

For example, when you use any sort of effect in Logic (delay, reverb, etc..), an automating "track" (I called it an option, maybe "track" is more appropriate) appears in the list of things which can be automated (clicking the box under the track/instrument's name, after opening the automation windows). I want to be able to change the attack, release, etc. of an MF3 instrument, via the creation of nodes like I would do otherwise...

Hope the question's better this time. Thanks in advance

D.
Sianth

Post by Sianth »

So far the only way I have been able to do this is by copying automation data to the hyper editor in Logic then changing to an unused CC no. Then use this CC data as a modulation source i MF3. Not really what you want but it is all I know.
wvandyck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wvandyck »

David, from Switzerland.
In order to have more automation options than what you've list above, you need to create an "Instrument" object and cable it to the MachFive 3 channel strip. Drag the "Instrument" object onto the track in the Arrange. If you now open the automation pop up, you'll see many more choices. For this brief example, I've assigned two automation lanes to CC#20 and CC#21.

In the Environment, create 2 faders and cable them to the "Instrument". You'll need to assign their output to 20 and 21.

Control-click or right click on the MF3 parameter you wish to control. Select MIDI Learn, then jiggle the fader assigned to CC#20. Select another MF3 parameter, repeat the above except jiggle fader CC#21. etc.

You can test out the connection by moving the faders. The assigned MF3 parameters will adjust accordingly. Now draw in some automation in the lanes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozqd673f129ao ... r.m4v?dl=0
Last edited by wvandyck on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
dlyrium

Post by dlyrium »

Exactly what I needed! Thanks a bunch for your detailed response!
:D 8)
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

:arrow: Good to hear that it worked out.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

lanshan75 wrote:Guys,do you love cats, i am a girl who love cats very much,i just want to find some new friends to share the happiness of keeping cats.

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael_swe

Post by Michael_swe »

wvandyck wrote:

David, from Switzerland.
In order to have more automation options than what you've list above, you need to create an "Instrument" object and cable it to the MachFive 3 channel strip. Drag the "Instrument" object onto the track in the Arrange. If you now open the automation pop up, you'll see many more choices. For this brief example, I've assigned two automation lanes to CC#20 and CC#21.

In the Environment, create 2 faders and cable them to the "Instrument". You'll need to assign their output to 20 and 21.

Control-click or right click on the MF3 parameter you wish to control. Select MIDI Learn, then jiggle the fader assigned to CC#20. Select another MF3 parameter, repeat the above except jiggle fader CC#21. etc.

You can test out the connection by moving the faders. The assigned MF3 parameters will adjust accordingly. Now draw in some automation in the lanes.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20203707/Audio/ ... llular.m4v
Is entering the environment needed to automate more basic parameters? For instance reverb, delay etc.