DP8 and VE Pro 5, the future is here?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 and VE Pro 5, the future is here?

Post by toodamnhip »

I think the holy grail of VI handling is upon us, I hope I am not wrong. Initial testing using VE Pro 5 with DP 8 has shown me something incredibly exciting.
We have always wanted to be able to INPUT at 128 while having previously recorded VI parts run at higher buffers.
Well, VE Pro 5 can now do that and DP can run at 128 low latency without breaking a sweat.
IN DP 7, something was goofy in DP’s latency reporting to VE Pro, and this meant a HUGE aspect of VE was NOT usable.
That aspect? The ability to run VE Pro at buffers 4 times as high as DPs audio engine.
With DP 8, the latency is being reported properly by DP, so one can run VE Pro at 4x buffers which means ALL the VIs in VE Pro are only taxing the computer at 640 samples while DP runs at 128.
What does this mean?
It means you can record drums, etc,with 128 sample low latency while the previously recorded drums and VIs are only taxing the computer at 640.
So, here I am ,loading up VE Pro with VIs, and running DP 8 at 128 buffers. I have very fast throughout, (128 going through DP into VE Pro), and DP’s memory meter is barely up above 10%.
All the work is being done by VE Pro, but, with VE set at 4x buffers, it responds immediately, (128 buffer), but runs at 640.

If I run the same VI’s in DP, the memory meter is spiking and very high. Why, because running the VIs in DP means ALL the VIs are using that same 128 buffer power drain. With VE Pro, it is 640 buffer power drain=lower computer strain.
So, though I have not tested DPs efficiency with VIs, one for one, I don;t need to because only VE Pro can offset the buffer strain of previously recorded VIs by 4x.
I am working at 128 buffers, VE Pro is set to 4x that, taking all the strain and the long awaited fast throughout, low VI strain appears to be upon us.
This is totally important and a huge reason for every VI user to get VE Pro if you ask me.
It really puts DAW sequencing into the future..finally.
I will let you all know if I discover any drawbacks.
The only ones I have found thus far are:
1) You get the beach ball a bit using VE Pro each time DP saves VE’s setting every minute or so, this is a tiny bit annoying.
2) You have to switch between 2 programs to work which, I must admit, I don’t like VE’s interface 1/2 as well as DPs. but I’ll get used to it for this kind of nirvana.
3) I am not sure this translates to audio power savings such as running guitars through gtr amp sims etc., vocals through effects in VE Pro, etc, But I will experiment with this more as time goes on. This is exciting.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Re: DP8 and VE Pro 5, the future is here?

Post by toodamnhip »

PS, not only is DP power consumption barely above 10%, I am running a bunch of angry VIs that are using 18 gig of ram.
Who would of thought that one could use 18-20-24 gig of ram and VIs at 128 buffers with DP only showing 10% cpu strain?
If I’d have told you that last yr, who’d have believed me?
Next I will be installing ssd drives, let the fun begin.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Next cruel test, I lowered the buffers to 64.
Played the drums without quantize, it felt VERY crisp. I thought 128 was nice but 64 is VERY VERY cool.
DP moved up to about 50% comp power, ram usage stayed good at about 18 gig.
Oh, and another thing, switching buffer sizes is very quick. I think it is quicker in DP 8 as compared to 7, but with VE Pro and DP 8 it is very fast.
This is some fun stuff...lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Wow. Wow.

Fantastic news. I'll try something similar as a test. (If I can figure out how to gobble up 18 gigs of ram that is. :) )

I think VEPro is an amazing tool.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

Thanks for the report toodamnhip.

Are you using VE Pro 4 or 5? The reason I ask is because I'm currently using VE Pro 4 with DP 7.24 and things run pretty well here but maybe I'm missing out on some huge gains with this new setup.

Which leads me to the timing issue. Was this only something that appeared in VE Pro 5? I'm not sure if I've ever really noticed it. Then again my buffer is at 512 since I run some pretty processor heavy virtual instruments (EastWest PLAY Hollywood series, LASS, Berlin Woodwinds, Omnisphere, and more)

Thanks again for the updates. Always looking for new ways to improve efficiency!
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Elektroakoustika wrote:Thanks for the report toodamnhip.

Are you using VE Pro 4 or 5? The reason I ask is because I'm currently using VE Pro 4 with DP 7.24 and things run pretty well here but maybe I'm missing out on some huge gains with this new setup.

Which leads me to the timing issue. Was this only something that appeared in VE Pro 5? I'm not sure if I've ever really noticed it. Then again my buffer is at 512 since I run some pretty processor heavy virtual instruments (EastWest PLAY Hollywood series, LASS, Berlin Woodwinds, Omnisphere, and more)

Thanks again for the updates. Always looking for new ways to improve efficiency!
It is VE Pro 5, I would upgrade. From what I understand, the fix that allowed VE to run 4x buffers was on DPs end.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

nk_e wrote:Wow. Wow.

Fantastic news. I'll try something similar as a test. (If I can figure out how to gobble up 18 gigs of ram that is. :) )

I think VEPro is an amazing tool.
I guess a feature update for DP would be to ask it to be able to handle VIs like VE Pro 5 does. If VE can do it, why not DP?
All previously recorded VIs play back at 1024, all inputs to the VI engines are at 64...
Whoo Hoo
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Marc7777

Post by Marc7777 »

toodamnhip,

Are you running VEP5 on your local machine? Or on a Slave?

It's interesting that you're reporting all this blazing speed. From other posts, It seems other users are experiencing a sluggishness with DP8...

Personally, I'm holding off from upgrading to DP8, since I know that with any new release there are many fixes and tweaks.. plus i'm under strict deadlines. But reading this forum is very educating!

Can't wait until I can try this out myself!

OH another question, Are you using the Event Inputs going to VEP5? Or are you using multiple instances? As in, do you have 1 instance with several MIDI Event Inputs? or several instances and no Event Inputs..?

Thanks!!
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Marc7777 wrote:toodamnhip,

Are you running VEP5 on your local machine? Or on a Slave?

It's interesting that you're reporting all this blazing speed. From other posts, It seems other users are experiencing a sluggishness with DP8...

Personally, I'm holding off from upgrading to DP8, since I know that with any new release there are many fixes and tweaks.. plus i'm under strict deadlines. But reading this forum is very educating!

Can't wait until I can try this out myself!

OH another question, Are you using the Event Inputs going to VEP5? Or are you using multiple instances? As in, do you have 1 instance with several MIDI Event Inputs? or several instances and no Event Inputs..?

Thanks!!
Using this on ONE Local machine.
One 64 bit VE Pro server, using multiple Event Inputs in DP, going into in ONE VE Pro instance. (Or two in the even I have to run both 32 and 64 bit VE servers).
I don’t think it is DP 8 that is fast. I think it is the fix in DP re: latency reporting, that allows VE to finally run unhindered.
I give most of the credit to VE Pro.
When I add ONE instance of Ozone 5 to the master bus of DP with DP buffer set to 64, DPs comp usage goes up to 50%+.
Therefore, I still think DP to be a fairly inefficient weakling when it comes to computer power.
But the improvements in DP 8 allow for the truly strong program, VE Pro %, to finally do it’s job. It’s more a matter of DP 8 getting out of the way of the truly strong weight lifting program, VE Pro.
To the degree that DP 8 is efficient in allowing VE Pro to come in at 64 bit, I thank DP. But to me, the true champ is VE Pro.
By the way, new news, I can disable the decoupling feature in VE PRo which will stop the DP beach balls upon DP saves. Of course, this also means I have to manually save VE Pro and be alert about that. But I look forward to those beach balls ending.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
malditoyanki
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by malditoyanki »

This is awesome stuff.

For me, I can only go down to 256 in DP8 buffer and then x2 or x3 the buffer to VEpro. Works beautifully though. My point is, the sweet spot may vary for different people. I run HUGE templates for trailers etc.
Intel 6core 3.33 Ghz Westmere 48 gigs ram, MOTU micro lite, OS 10.9, DP 8.06, Apogee Symphony I/O, PLAY, most WAVES v9 plugs, Slate plugins, Soundtoys, ProTools 10, Kontakt 5, Omni, Stylus, Ivory

"DON'T fail me again, Admiral..."
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

malditoyanki wrote:This is awesome stuff.

For me, I can only go down to 256 in DP8 buffer and then x2 or x3 the buffer to VEpro. Works beautifully though. My point is, the sweet spot may vary for different people. I run HUGE templates for trailers etc.
However you run and whatever milage your get, you are better off using VE Pro than DP alone.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

toodamnhip wrote: 1) You get the beach ball a bit using VE Pro each time DP saves VE’s setting every minute or so, this is a tiny bit annoying.
Decouple your VEP instances and your DP Save will be instantaneous. Save the VEP instance to the same folder as the DP project folder. When you add or change anything to the VEP instance, save it in VEP.

If you end up having more than one instance of VEP open for a project, save the Metaframe to the DP project folder and Decouple and also Preserve all the VEP instances. Then, whenever you change something in one of the VEP instances, save the metaframe and all is good. When you go to open the DP project, launch DP, open the project, then launch VEP and load the metaframe, and then finally connect the instances from DP to the VEP instances. Everything loads as quickly as it can, and it takes seconds to connect DP to all your VEP instances.

Monster VEP setups, nothing rests on DP.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

cbergm7210 wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: 1) You get the beach ball a bit using VE Pro each time DP saves VE’s setting every minute or so, this is a tiny bit annoying.
Decouple your VEP instances and your DP Save will be instantaneous. Save the VEP instance to the same folder as the DP project folder. When you add or change anything to the VEP instance, save it in VEP.

If you end up having more than one instance of VEP open for a project, save the Metaframe to the DP project folder and Decouple and also Preserve all the VEP instances. Then, whenever you change something in one of the VEP instances, save the metaframe and all is good. When you go to open the DP project, launch DP, open the project, then launch VEP and load the metaframe, and then finally connect the instances from DP to the VEP instances. Everything loads as quickly as it can, and it takes seconds to connect DP to all your VEP instances.

Amen to nothing resting in DP. Where is the decouple function?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Well now I'm really interested in trying VE Pro5 out. However, the "Try" buttonon the website (www.viennaensemblepro.com) isn't working...clicking on it just brings up a blank page.

Anyone have any tips on how to get the demo?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

toodamnhip wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:

Amen to nothing resting in DP. Where is the decouple function?
It is one of the buttons on the instance when you double click the VSL instrument in DP. The other buttons are All, Connect, and the Raise button is there when you are connected to an instance.

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com