Video unusable in DP8 on my system

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Video unusable in DP8 on my system

Post by dix »

I apologize for a possibly redundant topic. I'm trying to decide whether I should try to use DP8 for an upcoming video project or stay with comfy ol' 7.24

For me video in DP8 is a no-go so far. Running any sequence, even one with no VIs or audio, bogs down the graphics on my entire system, making working to picture near impossible. Plus the video within DP8 can barely scrub and is so slow and choppy it looks/is out of sync. Anyone else getting this behavior? Are there any additional settings, Mac or DP, to try?

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
PJ

Re: Video unusable in DP8 on my system

Post by PJ »

Like we talked in the other thread, DP8's new video engine is very heavy GPU eater. I first tried older projects with my MBP 2.8GHz/8Gb i7 and DP8 was useless. Everything was way too choppy. DP 7.24 runs those projects very smoothly. Then I got a new rMBP which obviously has better GPU and those same projects are smooth in DP8. So the DP8 needs very fast GPU. But certainly a new video engine is badly optimized. I'm really wondering have they tested DP8/video production in real life situations, because like I said, also OMF's volume curves doesn't work (from FCP).
I also tried to find 'better settings' solution with my old laptop but I never found anything which would make graphics performance better. So surely it's safer to work with 7.24 until these things are fixed. With my rMBP I can use DP8 like this > I import OMFs in 7.24 and then open projects in DP8.

I would also like to know, what kind of performance people are getting with DP8/movie. Or is there anybody else using DP with picture?
http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... deo-engine
Digital Performer 8's video engine has been completely re-engineered to take full advantage of the latest enhancements in Mac OS X and Windows 7. Combined with a host of additional updates to the Movie window, Digital Performer's film scoring feature set once again sets it apart as the leading application for sound for picture applications.
I hope that this would be true very soon.
PTHDN(TB)/OMNI / DP8 ** Post Production **
frankf

Post by frankf »

I tested video on my system today running in DP8’s movie window, QuickTime h.264, and did not see any glitches or slow downs. But these are test projects with light system loads. I'll have to see when I open a big template over the next few days.
Frank

Frank Ferrucci
DP 8
Mac Pro 3,1 OS 10.6.8, 24gb RAM
Metric Halo 2882, ULN-2
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
dix

Post by dix »

My tests are all with no VIs or audio, so something seems weird.

The easiest way to see what I'm seeing is to launch DP8 and click around in the Finder, opening windows etc., then import a movie into DP8, start it a few times, and then do the same maneuvers back in the Finder. On my system, navigation in the Finder becomes very slow - varying with the size of the QT that DP8 is running. …and of course the video in dp is very choppy as well. Clearing the movie brings everything back to normal. No such issues in 7.

I'm thinking there's a pref that could be trashed or some setting. I've tried trashing a lot of stuff already. Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, if anyone can tell me what/where "Auto-Detect Video Mode" is that the manual refers to on page 278. That'd be great. Tech support was also baffled by that reference in the manual.

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Apologies for the bump. I'm thinking as more people install DP8 others might also have the issues described in my previous post, and possibly a solution. thx!
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

guys, I'm finding a few "uncomfortable" situ's with Movie in DP8. And I'm wondering if the root of it lies with MOTU's announcement " Digital Performer 8's video engine has been completely re-engineered to take full advantage of the latest enhancements in Mac OS X". I wonder if what they really meant to say was "QuickTime Player X"? The new movie window controller certainly has a QT X look to it. I've never been a fan of QT X (over QT Pro 7.6). It runs "quirkily" - sometimes it works, sometimes not - in standalone on my MacPro, and I'd hate to think that's what MOTU's based the Movie revamp on. But, that's what it looks like.

But as to those "uncomfortable" situ's I mentioned above, they would be;
(1.) It's *GREAT* to see the "lock" icon back after all these years. I had requested the return of it for some time as it always gives a necessary info on whether you're locked or not (read: whether you're going to be using up CPU resources or not). But, unlike in the past when that icon resided on the menu bar of the window, it now resides on the Controller, which fades away. So, you have to drag the cursor over that window to get a look at the Lock icon. Workflow buster, it was so much better when it lived on the Movie windows menu bar.
(2.) For some reason, there's no "Send it to the Dock" option (the Yellow button) for the Movie window? There's a Red button (close it) and a Green button (full-size it), but no Yellow button?
(3.) Here's a biggie, related to another thread http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=51260 about problems with computer keyboard access...the manual claims that, when on the Movie window, you can use the Left & Right Computer Keyboard arrows for frame advance/ritard. But these keyboard keys do not seem to work....you have to use the Movie Controller buttons for this function. Again, a Workflow buster...
Wonder if you all are getting similar results?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Just found this thread. It's disturbing to read that there might exist issues with how DP 8 handles video. Using DP 7 for film-scoring purposes is one of its strengths. It would seem that this strength and reliability would carry over to DP 8. I haven't upgraded to DP 8 yet. For me, these potential issues could be significant enough not to upgrade.

For those experiencing problems importing video into DP 8, what video card are you using? Knowing that there are fairly limited choices in video-cards for the MacPro, is one make of video card better than another for DP 8? If so, which video card seems to work the best for handling video for scoring purposes? Or, is it simply a glitch in the DP 8 software that will hopefully be fixed in upcoming updates?

The video card in my MacPro (noted below) is the ATI Radeon HD 5770.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
PJ

Post by PJ »

In my older laptop I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (512Mt). It doesn't work at all with DP8/movie window. With DP 7.xx all is fine.
In my new lap I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (1024Mt). It is working pretty smooth with DP8 and picture. Like williemyers said, it can be that Motu has optimized DP8 to new Macs/OSX.

I wouldn't upgrade yet, if I hadn't another mac to try with. If you need OMF, that's another reason for not to upgrade.
I'm repeating myself, DP8 is very GPU hungry.
PTHDN(TB)/OMNI / DP8 ** Post Production **
dix

Post by dix »

NVEDIA GeForce 7300 GT here. Good idea to start listing our cards.

Like I say above, importing videos into DP8 drags down my entire system's graphics. A card issue does seem possible. There's too many issues with DP8 that I'd plan on using it on my laptop - which i mainly use for live playback - but I will install it when I get a chance to see if it's having video issues on it's AMD Radeon HD 6490M. I'd love to hear from anyone who happens to have the same graphics card as on my MacPro is also having video/graphics issues.

Right. No need to upgrade now, but not to despair. This is a .0 version. Bumps like this are to be expected. I'm sure MOTU will get fixes out for many of the issues. No .dv support, no OMF support and wonky graphic support are all things they will definitely want to fix. However, it may be some time before DP8 is as solid as 7.24 - which is as solid an app as I've ever used.
Last edited by dix on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Agreed...

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

dix - remind me, is that ALL videos, or just .dv files? QTime is working just fine here.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:dix - remind me, is that ALL videos, or just .dv files? QTime is working just fine here.
All videos. Importing any QT into DP8 turns my Mac into a pile of sludge. .DVs are not recognized by DP8 at all and can not be imported.
MIDI Life Crisis

OK, THAT is not what I'm seeing as QT are running fine. Shall I'll shoot you a QT and see if you can use it? It's a sexy lady QT... :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
I have the same video card. How is movies in DP8 working for you, MLC?
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
MIDI Life Crisis

Quicktime are fine. .dv files don't work at all.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS