Does EastWest Play Work with DP8?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
richardein
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Does EastWest Play Work with DP8?

Post by richardein »

Anyone tried it yet?

tia

R
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
FutureLegends

Re: Does EastWest Play Work with DP8?

Post by FutureLegends »

I wanna know as well! Especially if there's any performance differencies between PLAY in DP7 and DP8.
EW are about (or have they already?) to release PLAY 4, so I would be surprised if it didn't work in DP8...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

it should work great
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
rikp

Post by rikp »

Works great for me!!!

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Anyone tried PLAY in DP8 on a Mac Pro 1,1? If so, did you experience a difference in efficiency?

My current projects tend to be on the very limit for my current set up, I'm hoping that the combination DP8 and the coming PLAY 4 make the tiny improvement to make things a bit smoother...
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
richardein

Post by richardein »

Thanks, Rik.

Are you using it in 64 bit?
Richard Einhorn

MacBook Pro 2019, Motu M4, EWQLSO Play Platinum Plus, Ivory, Kontakt 5, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX, Omnisphere other plug-ins, instruments, etc. that are used less often. StudioLogic SL88 Grand
mike connelly
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mike connelly »

EW has already said that Play 4 won't be much of a performance improvement on mac, I wouldn't get your hopes up about that.
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Well, then all my hopes are on DP8 ;)
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

mike connelly wrote:EW has already said that Play 4 won't be much of a performance improvement on mac, I wouldn't get your hopes up about that.
Well, according to Doug Rogers post on their own forum:
"[PLAY4] is a major upgrade we've been working on for more than a year. We replaced some third party components that were problematic on some systems, improved the streaming engine, improved overall performance and efficiency, added a mixer page, added background loading, added more advanced instrument properties, and some other improvements"

I don't know, but to me "improved streaming engine, overall performance and efficiency" sure sounds like there could very well be some performance improvements. It's pretty much what they say black on white what the update will bring.
I will remain hopeful :)
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

FutureLegends wrote:
mike connelly wrote:EW has already said that Play 4 won't be much of a performance improvement on mac, I wouldn't get your hopes up about that.
"[PLAY4] is a major upgrade we've been working on for more than a year. We replaced some third party components that were problematic on some systems, improved the streaming engine, improved overall performance and efficiency, added a mixer page, added background loading, added more advanced instrument properties, and some other improvements"

I don't know, but to me "improved streaming engine, overall performance and efficiency" sure sounds like there could very well be some performance improvements. It's pretty much what they say black on white what the update will bring.
Is Play 4 out yet? If not, when?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

FutureLegends wrote:

Jay Asher aka East West Lurker,who is a long time Mac user and their p.r. forum liaison states: OSX is flawed(not PLAY) lol,and keeps stating even though most engines work well with Macs,it's a OSX flaw that makes only PLAY so bad on Macs,he's even started using a PC for his PLAY libraries and has started recommending other EW customers do the same.
He's already said he doesn't expect much improvement for Mac users and PLAY4.
EW Lurker posts on VI-control and GS if you want to see more about the EW stance on PLAY/Mac issues outside of the Soundsonline forum for a bit more uncensored somewhat objective perspective.
VI-control has some real interesting threads on this as many of the users are developers,scripters and have tons of experience with numerous platforms & engines.
What Doug Rogers says on their own company forum and reality are often 2 different things,smarmy to say the least,
keep hoping.
;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Hehe, well, unless their totally incompetent there should be at least a tiny improvement on the Mac side even if it' not as big as on PC.
If there's just a tiny improvement in both play and DP8 I will manage for a little longer on my ancient machine...
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Jay IMO actually has good intentions but it baffles me that very experienced users on VI-control continually point out that Play's the only engine among numerous users that have these kinds of serious Mac related issues.
EW keeps saying every companies products not just EW products runs better on the W7 platform and they seem to be in a total state of denial that PLAY's Mac related problems might actually be a PLAY specific problem.
He still uses Macs on some of the libraries but seems to be encouraging users to get a PC for any serious heavy lifting with more demanding PLAY tasks.
It amazes me that now they actually point at Apple and say there's a flaw in OSX that prevents PLAY from performing as it seems to do on Windows systems.
When users point out nice performance with either OS with Kontakt,Sage(Spectrasonics)VSL etc...
They keep saying every developer they talk to feels the same way but I never here users complaining about any other Platform on a Mac like we keep hearing with PLAY.
I used to primarily use EW libraries but I stopped when they abandoned Kontakt and switched to PLAY.
I still have and occasionally use EW/NI driven libraries and if they ever went back to using the Kontakt engine I still would but I don't play with PLAY.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

So far it works great (Play 3+DP8+OS 10.8.2). I just upgraded to 40GB or ram and Hollywood Strings are much, much happier too by the way :wink:

There was a time where Play was completely unuseable for me (except in ProTools!), but since version 3 it's been a rather smooth experience.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Morpheo wrote:So far it works great (Play 3+DP8+OS 10.8.2). I just upgraded to 40GB or ram and Hollywood Strings are much, much happier too by the way :wink:

There was a time where Play was completely unuseable for me (except in ProTools!), but since version 3 it's been a rather smooth experience.

40 gigs of ram!
My oh my,
lol.
I have 24gig and I've just experienced ram envy for the 1st time in a very long time!
;-)

Maybe that's the key for PLAY, tons of ram in a 64bit DAW.